Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Why do my fuel injectors tick so loudly and what can be done about it?

dumbskate

boostin said:

Yeah you could do. Or insulate them somehow....??

H6 has insulated covers over the injectors and rails. I took mine off because i felt like it - now the ticking is louder. If youre really bored, could try a couple feet of foam pipe insulation over them. Might be an idea to check it doesnt burn first

Shale said:

More, there are more dramatic things that a lot of us fix or ignore, regardless of what kind of Subaru it is. My Impreza has ticking lifters, a whistling belt in there somewhere (presuming the prehistoric cambelt), no gas in the A/C, an antenna that's stuck up. The Legacy wagon has a stuffed coil with matching intermittent misfire, an exhaust that rattles, a strut that rattles, a wheel bearing that rattles, a door that rattles, a chassis that rattles, a bumper that rattles, a boot lining that rattles, four windows that rattle when they're down, and a whining front diff. Oh, and a chassis that goes DOONK around some corners...and something in the drivetrain that resists then goes TUNK really loudly in reverse.

The only things worth fixing, really, are the broken antenna, the strut and wheel bearing, the cambelt, the coil (feck it, biff all four and go wasted spark!)...

New injectors can't be cheap, and used ones may last a little while before they start ticking again. Ultimately it is your choice, as the owner, as to whether you replace a ticking something or not - especially if you have the cash.

The bigger threat in a Legacy newer than mine is ye olde BEB club winning ticket waiting to happen (touch wood!). And newness is no guarantee of good behaviour; there've been many a 4th gen Legacy decide that they don't want to play ball and either drink oil like beer, misfire left right and centre, or blow electrics :-\

But let's face it. If the ticking pisses you off that much, you might as well try and fix it.

Yeah my car just has the tick. Lucky for me I guess but the grass is always greener and I wont to be over there with the non ticking Subaru's. Good luck with your that broken stuff in your car.

keltik']

[quote name='boostin said:

Yeah you could do. Or insulate them somehow....??

/quote]

H6 has insulated covers over the injectors and rails. I took mine off because i felt like it - now the ticking is louder. If youre really bored, could try a couple feet of foam pipe insulation over them. Might be an idea to check it doesnt burn first

Yeah if they were supposed to tick loudly then I woudl think about insulation but as they should be a lot quieter I will probably go for replacements or that is way too costly then maybe buy four of your little insulators ;D

kamineko said:

are you sure its the injectors? unplugged them one by one to check?

yeah they tick.. just cant imagine the ticking is loud enough to bother you

btw isn't there a (replaceable) insulating rubber washer built into the top clamp?

I have definitely got down to 90% that it is the injectors. They sounds like the culprit when I give them the screw driver to the ear test and it seems very localized to either them or something directly below them like in the combustion chamber.

I was planning to disconnect them but wanted some advice form all of you first. Also I have to be prepared to listen to my car running on three which is not something I like hearing.

Well the fact the factory saw fit to sound insulate the injectors on mine should tell you theyre supposed to tick loudly. The covers serve absolutely no purpose other than sound insulation. Maybe for aesthetic reasons too... They arent going to fit yours tho :P Too long by 50%

Do you still have the underbonnet insulation/sound deadening/seals in place? If not then thats probly why you hear them more.

Guest boostin
 Shale said:

Once you've owned a BC5 or BF5 Legacy... you learn to ignore noises unless they are accompanied by smells. ;D

Oh too true....

I know a set of injectors for a BP GTB is over $1k. Dunno what a new set of BH yellows are though.

Holy snotcakes, a grand!!

Version 3/4 yellows won't fit will they...I have an old four of 'em lying around impatiently waiting for the 20K build, but they will most likely sing too.

Blasted old Legacys are chatty...guess I lose sympathy for a mere tick when there's a mechanical orchestra in Frankie! ;D

boostin']

[quote name='Shale said:

Once you've owned a BC5 or BF5 Legacy... you learn to ignore noises unless they are accompanied by smells. ;D

/quote]

I know a set of injectors for a BP GTB is over $1k. Dunno what a new set of BH yellows are though.

Mine look grey from a basic inspection.

Shale said:

Holy snotcakes, a grand!!

Version 3/4 yellows won't fit will they...I have an old four of 'em lying around impatiently waiting for the 20K build, but they will most likely sing too.

Blasted old Legacys are chatty...guess I lose sympathy for a mere tick when there's a mechanical orchestra in Frankie! ;D

I guess that's why it was $65,000 grand or something in that range when it came off the line in '98

• 6 months later...

***Continuing this topic rather than starting a new thread***

My injectors have started making a bit more noise than they did when I bought the car. As far as testing/listening to them goes is it ok for me to just unplug one of the injectors while the engine is going to see if the noise stops? I was under the impression this would cause something to melt/damage.