Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

lightened flywheel or standard for street/strip driving

Guest vf20/21bg5

Guest vf20/21bg5
 dubbedup said:

aren't the crank pulley solid metal or am i missing something here

...yep yr missing the very thin bit of extreemly durible rubber seperating the 2 halves of the pully....it matches the color of the pully(blk) and is so thin its hardly noticed...well not too thin lol

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest boostcut
 8e4r said:

I have a 4.6KG JUN Ultra Lightweight Chromoly Flywheel on my V2 WRX. Cost a fair bit but is still my favourite mod on my car to date :).

I've also got lightweight pulleys so the two coupled together make a huge difference in throttle response and climbing quickly up the revs.

Keep in mind though these upgrades DO NOT add more power to your car, simply reduces the load your engine takes to

create torque.

If you're chasing pure power then the money could be spent elsewhere but if you want a more responsive car (in terms of throttle response) I'd recommend you get the flywheel upgrade, could even consider some lightweight pulleys as well, hope that helps! ;)

im not sure what you mean by this but reducing a rotating mass is effectively reducing its enertia and therefore reducing torque,

on a 2 stroke mx bike, to make it more torquey and rideable you put a heavyer flywheel on it. im 110% sure its the same for a car... by fitting a lightened flywheel, it will climb and drop in revs quicker

vf20/21bg5']

[quote name='dubbedup said:

aren't the crank pulley solid metal or am i missing something here

/quote]...yep yr missing the very thin bit of extreemly durible rubber seperating the 2 halves of the pully....it matches the color of the pully(blk) and is so thin its hardly noticed...well not too thin lol

maybe mine was missing ??? we inspected it hard, thinking the same thing before we replaced the pulleys, opps too late now, seems to be going sweet as

HOnda Type Rs are balanced and still use a damper.

It smooths everything out. If you dont mind the vibration and want rattles in your cabin over time (more than there would with one) remove it.

If i could put one on my kart i would cos the vibration breaks everything!

Guest vf20/21bg5
 boostcut']

[quote name='8e4r said:

I have a 4.6KG JUN Ultra Lightweight Chromoly Flywheel on my V2 WRX. Cost a fair bit but is still my favourite mod on my car to date :).

I've also got lightweight pulleys so the two coupled together make a huge difference in throttle response and climbing quickly up the revs.

Keep in mind though these upgrades DO NOT add more power to your car, simply reduces the load your engine takes to b]

create torque.

[/b]

If you're chasing pure power then the money could be spent elsewhere but if you want a more responsive car (in terms of throttle response) I'd recommend you get the flywheel upgrade, could even consider some lightweight pulleys as well, hope that helps! ;)

im not sure what you mean by this but reducing a rotating mass is effectively reducing its enertia and therefore reducing torque,

on a 2 stroke mx bike, to make it more torquey and rideable you put a heavyer flywheel on it. im 110% sure its the same for a car... by fitting a lightened flywheel, it will climb and drop in revs quicker

yeah buts its 2 different types of torque really ay...on one hand the lightened flywheel gives you a "fake torque" feeling and by that i meen the feeling on your body as yr car accelerates quicker thn usual....whereas the true measured torque is a load thing and tested to be better and have more proven power when its a heavier mas rather than lighter.....im not a techy type person and this may not make sence to you but i do think very logicly and depending on wot you want from yr engine or yr car its "all to thr own" and if you like it then do it no matter what other people think......ive heard good and bad from the 2 but as for me im getting a 6.6kg one made up as we speak for the best of both worlds ;)

vf20/21bg5']

[quote name='8e4r said:

Keep in mind though these upgrades DO NOT add more power to your car, simply reduces the load your engine takes to b]

create torque.

[/b]

yeah buts its 2 different types of torque really ay...on one hand the lightened flywheel gives you a "fake torque" feeling and by that i meen the feeling on your body as yr car accelerates quicker thn usual....whereas the true measured torque is a load thing and tested to be better and have more proven power when its a heavier mas rather than lighter.....im not a techy type person and this may not make sence to you but i do think very logicly and depending on wot you want from yr engine or yr car its "all to thr own" and if you like it then do it no matter what other people think......ive heard good and bad from the 2 but as for me im getting a 6.6kg one made up as we speak for the best of both worlds ;)

I should have worded that slightly better sorry. What I meant to say was "simply reduces the load thus your engine is doing less work to produce a revolution."

Hope that didn't confuse anyone.

• 1 month later...

so does anyone know anyone who can take maby 2kgs off my standard flywheel?

have talked to chris a suspension tech, he said he could do it for me, but its to big for his or his mate lathe. any one have any ideas?

-smurff

smurff said:

have talked to chris a suspension tech, he said he could do it for me, but its to big for his or his mate lathe. any one have any ideas?

-smurff

hammer and a chisel?

Guest boostin
 wrx_lou']

[quote name='smurff said:

-smurff

/quote]

hammer and a chisel?

Nah, drill press.

boostin']

[quote name='smurff said:

-smurff

/quote]

hammer and a chisel?

Nah, drill press.

wah?

-smurff

Guest vf20/21bg5
 smurff said:

that does not look like its removed much weight :(

and looks hard to make sure its balanced

-smurff

hey thr,just reading from my bible the "SUBARU PERFORMANCE HANDBOOK WRX EDITION 3" put out by MRT australia and they say taking anything over 1kg off of a standard 10.4kg flywheel may result in catastrofic failure! (they do say "may" tho lol).

Tell you what i just bought a 5kg cnc flywheel off Jason Liefting for my TT running a ZS up to 4500rpm on the primary and boy what a difference! AMAZING! and im having no trouble taking off from stand still or from hill starts as people said i would have,infact the only downside is it takes a bit more to get it kicking into life in the mornings due to that lack of inercia or momentum from the extra 5.4kg's that would usually be thr.Apart from that "CHEERS JAS!.Best investment ive made for power gain on me grl so far at only $450...

oh and if you are curious as to what my project is check out "legacy" "post your pics" page 55 at me wagon

smurff said:

Subaru Impreza EJ207(GDB) - 4.5kg

RRP NZ$628 + Shipping

Grab A Deal NZ$357

Save at least 51%!

on there atm

-smurff

For that price why would you bother even trying to lighten one..

Guest vf20/21bg5
 smurff said:

hhmmm. . . $450, when i only want to knock off a few kg's, not worth it for what i want.

41 have been doing a 4.5kg Jun one for $355

-smurff

if only i knew then... i suppose the extra $100 is either superior quality of the metal or the name behind it