• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

FT-86 G Sports Concept

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Toyota-Concepts/246532/

Theres still No pics shown of the engine bay >:(

autosalon1001_01_sm.jpg

autosalon1001_02_sm.jpg

autosalon1001_03.jpg

Toyota stole the Tokyo Auto Salon today when it unveiled this stunning, new shape FT-86 G Sports Concept.

The car is an evolution of the 'Toyobaru, the lightweight rear-drive sports coupe that Toyota and Subaru are working on together.

This latest interpretation has a sharper front end and more aggressive side body treatment, new wheels and matt black bonnet.

The lower front air intake is both larger and more dramatic, with central vent and air blades either side. There are new side sills and deeper body vents for cooling both front and rear brakes.

At the back, Toyota's bolted on a far more businesslike boot spoiler that's straight out of Japan's D1 Drift series and the meatier diffuser treatment and twin exhausts.

Under that vented bonnet, the FT-86's Subaru-derived 2.0-litre Boxer four now gains a turbo but there's no word on power. The latest of these Scooby turbo flat-fours in the new limited Impreza R205 in Japan punts out a strong armed 320ps, so that perhaps is a guide.

As it stands, the FT-86 is still six-speed manual but the car is now a touch bigger: length up 30mm to 4160mm while width is now 1780mm, 20mm up on the '09 car.

The car sits 30mm lower down however at 1230mm and at road level, rolls on slick Bridgestone Potenza RE050s: 245/45 R19 at the front with 275/35 R19s at the back.

The new concept car also has a GPS-track day unit co-developed with the creators of the Gran Turismo computer game franchise and automotive technology giant Denso.

The GPS unit allows users to drive the real FT-86 around a real track and then remove the memory card from the car, plug it into a PS3 and either watch the lap virtually or race against yourself, as the real car appears as the car that you battle against.

The GPS unit was tested in a fully race-prepped Lexus IS F at the Nurburgring last October.

Intriguingly, the original FT-86 concept car's dashboard had an outline of Fuji Speedway, a lap timer and an altimeter, hinting at Toyota's plans for the technology.

Reports suggest Toyota will offer this technology on most future models, starting with the launch of the production FT-86.

The FT-86, which may get the Celica name in Europe, is still set for a 2011 launch in Japan.

Peter Nunn

Old Skool Subbie said:

Theres still No pics shown of the engine bay >:(

They're probably only rolling bodies atm :P

Although I gather they've had a working one on the track with a body panels stolen from an assortment of cars... So it didn't look very... nice :P

aim']

[quote name='Old Skool Subbie said:

Theres still No pics shown of the engine bay >:(/quote]

Although I gather they've had a working one on the track with a body panels stolen from an assortment of cars... So it didn't look very... nice :P

Well the 1st concept did run and was driven onto the stage.. saying that they were apprantly still working on the DI for the heads I think?

Maybe at the moment its fitted with just a basic 2L out of a impreza in it?

Im not sure about the 1 in the pics above

Im guessing so?

depends what the new motor will be... Ive heard rumours but saying that it is [glow=red,2,300]ONLY a rumour[/glow]

It could be the next genration of flat 4 based off the EZ30/EZ36

Supost to have timing chain, be lighter smaller, with Toyota designed heads with Toyotas own D4S ( stands for D-4 Superior. D-4S combines both direct injection and conventional port injection for each cylinder which means two injectors per cylinder, or eight injectors if the engine is a 4-cylinder boxer like the FT-86 )

Or it could be the latest EJ20 just fitted with the toyota heads and D-4S?

We wont really know untill its released..

aim']

[quote name='Old Skool Subbie said:

Theres still No pics shown of the engine bay >:(/quote]

Typical mule.

Sounds quite nice though...

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/19/toyota-ft-86-runs-the-ring-video/

And they started one up at the Tokyo Motor Show

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/05/video-toyota-ft-86-sure-doesnt-sound-like-a-boxer/