Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Profile cutting of Alloy

Just wondering if anyone has hand any profile cutting of alloy? I know nothing of this as I have never had the need to get anything cut until now. Obviously stell is no problem, can alloy be cut in a similar way? I need a couple of items cut from say 12mm allow sheet. Anyone got info on this subject? cheers

Guest boostcut

i used to work for a company that has a cnc router and a cnc plasma. still have contacts there but need to have a cad drawing done to upload it to the machine...

smurff said:

whats profile cutting?

-smurff

Its easier if you google profile cutting if in doubt...

Boostcut,

Damn Cad drawings hey, I need the same profile as the version 7 intake manifold gasket. Couldnt be done via scanning this or similar? cheers

WRX8YA']

[quote name='smurff said:

whats profile cutting?

-smurff

/quote]

Its easier if you google profile cutting if in doubt...

Boostcut,

Damn Cad drawings hey, I need the same profile as the version 7 intake manifold gasket. Couldnt be done via scanning this or similar? cheers

tried that, think i was doin something wrong, is there another name for it?

-smurff

Guest boostcut

possibly but then they still need to draw arond it.. theres a few cad dudes on here, im sure they will pop up.... the other way to do it would be a drill, a hole saw and a bandsaw. oh and a file....

boostcut said:

possibly but then they still need to draw arond it.. theres a few cad dudes on here, im sure they will pop up.... the other way to do it would be a drill, a hole saw and a bandsaw. oh and a file....

Hahaha, true, what do you have against me boostcut. The drill and file comment was harsh

Guest itsgotgo
 boostcut said:

nothing man... lol. if you send me the gaskets il hapily make them for you....

What about that idea of gilmour belt drives for subbies adam?

I reckon a sub would sound good with one...."I am soley responsible for my own bad taste" ;)

Prometal in ChCh can do Laser cutting of alloy I think up to that thickness. I work for another company that does Laser and Turret punching of sheet but our Laser isn't powerful enough. You could probably either send them a gasket to copy or a good dimensioned hand drawing (I'd just draw around the gasket and then put measurements on). It wouldn't take them too long at all to draw up the profile. If you need that done though, give me a PM and I'll see if I can sort one for you.

http://www.prometal.co.nz/

Alloy needs to be laser cut or it turns out like crap. Plus is a shyt load more expensive than steel.

The only companies i know of that can do it for you are in the north island, and it would be cheaper to get it cut in the south island than pay freight from up here. Let me know if you get really stuck though.

Thanks guys I will follow up all your suggestions...... Thats awesome. Yeah I was unsure of the possibility of alloy, its good to know it can be done, next question is to see how much its going to cost.

Koom Thanks for your offer I will see how I get on, as well as contacting the people you suggested.

Josh, Thanks its good to know of a local place, I wonder if they do alloy? I need some steel work done also so it will be good to at least use them for that.

Projects...... you got to love them.

Guest boostcut
 itsgotgo']

[quote name='boostcut said:

nothing man... lol. if you send me the gaskets il hapily make them for you....

/quote]

What about that idea of gilmour belt drives for subbies adam?

I reckon a sub would sound good with one...."I am soley responsible for my own bad taste" ;)

yeah i reckon its a good idea... we used to get extruded alloy tube from ulrich in hamilton and get a company in tauranga to make them... endevour engineering i think its called... good cunts in there.

Try someone with a water cutter. Much much nicer cut.

I know there was 2 or 3 firms in rotorua alone that did this....

they also can do other profile too.

Also just beware that some places might change you a fair bit if you just cuting out one profile.

Always try and get the Workshop foreman and see if he will do a cashy for ya too. Beer and some cash to the firday arvo drinks goes a long way.......

Using a water jet is tidier as is it doesnt mark the material like a laser, but generally a water jet is slower at cutting and therefore slightly more expensive. At the end of the day its up to you

While we are on the topic of this thread and i have started dribbling on about water jets.

If anyone is going to profile out high tensile pieces for their car (ie suspension parts), your best bet is getting it cut with an abrasive water jet. Most HT steel plate is roller quenched and is HT due to its heat treatment, which makes them very temperamental to high heat, as this makes them essentially mild steel again. The other problem you have with introducing high amounts of heat into the metal is that it increases its hardness making it alot harder to machine.

Because an abrasive water jet is alot colder than the likes of cutting the part out by plasma etc, it will give you a much more user friendly and engineering sounds result.

And FYI if you end up using an abrasive water jet to cut out a part that requires machining afterwards, enquire about the companies tooling jet as it is quite accurate and makes life a fark load easier at usually not extra cost. I use it to cut out bearing housings, and exact drill sizes for holes that need to be drilled and tapped