Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Exedy tuff clutches, not so tuff..

spicyHam

As ive said in another post, my clutch seems to be going. Its an Exedy tuff unit and car is only on 120kms so im surprised. seems to be way to early for a second clutch to be gone, especially a heavy duty one. I wouldnt buy one again, and they are expensive too - buyers beware?

Guest boostcut
 the_return_of_the_jedi said:

depends on if ya drive it like ya stole it :)

its good for some clutches to rape them... the ceramic clutches are like an on off switch, not for daily use.

can you tell us what kind of clutch it is? instead of bagging all of excedys tuff clutch range?

Guest keltik

Yeah most people have already discovered the hard way that most clutches other than the factory ones suck (for daily driving).

Guest the_return_of_the_jedi

well its not my clutch...

theyre not indestructable but i would imagine it would take alot of abuse to get in a situation where its not working right now..

Guest the_return_of_the_jedi
 sharktale said:

Did you not break it in proper? The way you treat it within the first 500 kms determines how long its gona last.

yeah i knew this guy at my old work.. was going on about his "heavy duty clutch" he just put in his silvia...

the following monday he wasnt happy...

demerits and fines and stuffed clutch coulda caused that tho!

the_return_of_the_jedi said:

yeah i know... 5 bucks says he drives like he thinks hes ken block too

You would be wrong in this assumption.. i get funny looks from people when they see its a young guy only driving at 90 on the motorway... i didnt install it myself, (i guess saying 'i wouldnt buy one again' gave people the wrong idea, my bad) so i have no real idea of how long its been in there for.

Have had the car approx 1 year. I dont really know what it is exactly but from the feel of it and the sticker on the car i think it was a HD unit - it was a pain to use in traffic. I did learn to drive manual in this car which may have accelerated its death but since they are designed to take modified powertrains and clutch dumps it shouldn't have failed in my opinion. I took special care to go in neutral when stuck in gridlock as much as possible to avoid riding.

lol...so you dont know how long it had been in there for? but over a year...and you learnt to drive a manual with a heavy duty clutch..IMO it should have been ok but then your riding has killed it, if it had been in there a matter of weeks then fine bag it, but over unknown amount of k's i think it you cant really comment.

Guest loren

if it's a ceramic clutch they can get polished if you slip them, then they're screwed...

unlike an organic clutch which will be fine once cooled down.

Guest loren

i thought he meant he'd only done 120 kms on the clutch, not that his car had done 120,000 kms... which is a healthy enough number of kms to be on the second clutch IMO.

dubbedup said:

lol...so you dont know how long it had been in there for? but over a year...and you learnt to drive a manual with a heavy duty clutch..IMO it should have been ok but then your riding has killed it, if it had been in there a matter of weeks then fine bag it, but over unknown amount of k's i think it you cant really comment.

+1 with what dub says.

WTF are you evan on about if you dont know the history of the clutch! dumb-ass!

+2 - 120,000km on a clutch is well past it's used by date (I tell customers only to expect 80,000km at best from a clutch with daily use).

To put it in perspective; Most clutches (when installed professionally) have a 2 year or 30,000km (which-ever occurs first) warranty... times that by about 1.5 and you get around-about the life expectancy that the manufacturer believes that it will last with nominal use.

Just because it's "HD" doesn't mean it will last any longer, all that it means is that it can tolerate a higher level of abuse / increased load than a standard clutch can, for around the same amount of time as an OE unit.

120,000km is ages on a clutch. I blew my stock one in spectacular form, parking in the hilly part of town every day as a noob (shudder) after 60,000 clicks on the odo. Got a standard POS clutch back in with a heavy duty pressure plate and we spent 40,000km moaning about the fact it seems to have been dying. It's now got 184,000 on the clock and I'm still on that supposedly dying second clutch. Let it cool down and it's sweet as.

And bagging exedy clutches... WELL! :D Considering a certain BC5 Legacy I know has done more than its fair share of towing, spirited driving and rumbling around off-road on one single exedy that STILL LIVES despite yanking giant 4x4s off the motorway and dragging certain BF5s off a steep hill they've welded themselves to... I'm keen for one of the same. It's a hell of a clutch.

yes 120,000 is fine for a clutch. But since its the second one, the first arguably could have done 80 since it was put in? But if you guys think its acceptable then fine, i was looking for input from more experienced peeps anyways. Any recommendations for a replacement?

+1 with what dub says.

WTF are you evan on about if you dont know the history of the clutch! dumb-ass!

i appreciate constructive input, but what the **** is this? Im just posting my opinion and issue on a forum, its not like i was insulting you personally... Why are there always aggressive pricks like this in car clubs.. >.<

If you don't like the Exedy so much, give a stock one a go. Alternatively I'm sure said experienced owners here will throw a few brand names out that they like that are worth trying :)

And people are aggressive because in NZ, it's cool to yell at people you don't know across the internet because it's too far for them to get punched in the face. Even NASIOC is kinder than this place :P

Lol ain't that the truth. :/ Perhaps i was a bit quick to attribute the problem to the exedy clutch being crap - I just couldn't logically see why anyone would replace the factory unit before it was needed usually at 80k as far as i know - perhaps a previous owner was too dump-happy with it and replaced it early or something. No service history blows...

Either that, or because stock clutches aren't always as feedback-happy as some of the aftermarket ones, it seemed like a logical upgrade (better lifetime, better clamping force perhaps). But if someone's driven it badly, slipping it all the time, or boosting with their foot still on the pedal (seen that and LOL'd) all the time, no clutch will stand up to the punishment.

Might be worth your time getting a stock, or stock replacement, or STi-spec clutch from new and settling it in yourself so you DO know the history of it, and can treat it the way you want it to be treated :)

Yup it was a clutch that really hated traffic jams and low driving speeds. (Had to shift into neutral and roll as much as possible because it would just bunnyhop unless under acceleration in low gears) Would have been good on the track but in the real world it wasn't much fun. I think the whole traffic jam clutch in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out wasn't good for em. Unfortunately you cant avoid that in auckland..

spicyHam said:

Yup it was a clutch that really hated traffic jams and low driving speeds. (Had to shift into neutral and roll as much as possible because it would just bunnyhop unless under acceleration in low gears) Would have been good on the track but in the real world it wasn't much fun. I think the whole traffic jam clutch in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out wasn't good for em. Unfortunately you cant avoid that in auckland..

my factory replacement clutch does this... sometime even 50k's in 4th, im blaming the flywheel (but dont know for sure)