Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Exedy tuff clutches, not so tuff..

spicyHam

Interesting to note. I drove a gtb before my current rs and the clutch felt alot easier to use so i guess that had a standard one - but i just test drove it so i don't know if it did that. Ive seen a few aftermarket clutches for sale on TM for around 4-500 (which is appealing as im on a budget) but there were no new sti/stock items. Anyone know a good place to source em and how much? Im wondering whether i should buy the part first and just pay a mechanic to install it or if i should get the mechanic to source the part too.

Also interesting to see someone who doesnt defend Exedy as if they are paid commision from them. Autoclutch sounds good but quality comes with a price im sure...

spicyHam said:

Interesting to note. I drove a gtb before my current rs and the clutch felt alot easier to use so i guess that had a standard one - but i just test drove it so i don't know if it did that. Ive seen a few aftermarket clutches for sale on TM for around 4-500 (which is appealing as im on a budget) but there were no new sti/stock items. Anyone know a good place to source em and how much? Im wondering whether i should buy the part first and just pay a mechanic to install it or if i should get the mechanic to source the part too.

Also interesting to see someone who doesnt defend Exedy as if they are paid commision from them. Autoclutch sounds good but quality comes with a price im sure...

Looking at over $500 for an OEM replacement from subaru dealer, fyi

dubbedup said:

was only talking to my mate yesterday bout autoclutches by the sound of it there a quality, wonder how much they are?

They are top quality. Bout $900 for them initially and you have to send them your flywheel etc, but the good thing is they match them up perfectly and are only $300 to get rebuilt.

I installed a autoclutches uprated cover, with full face organic kevlar mix plate, into a evo 9 wagon, the thing is fucken shit, it shudders and it more on/off than the 6 puk brass one I replaced. also HD only really means it can hold more torque than stock, unless its got a plate thats made of a differnt metrial its heat capacity and slip character will be like stock. there is no clutch out there that likes constant slipping, just like driving with the brakes on, your going to wear the friction surface down and be left with a slipping clutch

• General Member

I have used Exedy HD in both my WRX with no issues.

And for the record anytime mine gets near a track or drag strip it gets driven like its stolen. Redline Clutch slips/dumps arent uncommon anytime I get it out to drag.

My current clutch has 35,000km+ on it with that abuse and on last inspecition 5000k ago was still in very good condition. Im expecting another 30,000 no issues.

Guest the_return_of_the_jedi
 Johnnynz said:

And for the record anytime mine gets near a track or drag strip it gets driven like its stolen. Redline Clutch slips/dumps arent uncommon anytime I get it out to drag.

yes this is preffered use over daily nana driving for sure..

at the end of the day i guess these clutches arent meant to be for driving down the dairy to get milk and a paper

Got my new clutch in - almost no pedal travel before it engages now, im amazed at the difference. i just got a regular clutch, still has plenty of bite - i dont see any reason why u would pay double for an HD one unless you are a track/strip regular.