Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Big End

Have a search man,

this has been covered hundereds of times..

Youve got a few options

A/2nd Hand motor

B/Brand new v7 sti short block and bits and pieces

C/Forged ground up rebuild

All depends on your plans for your car, budget and timeframe...

Have a search and see what yo ucan find

A big end failure will get louder under load, whether the engine is warm or not. Piston slap will be loudest when the engine is cold, will be quieter when warm and you will be able to make it louder by lifting engi e revs a little over idle (I.e 0 manifold pressure)

The other thing you can do is get a couple of long extensions (from a socket set) connect them together put one end up against your ear and place the other end on different areas of your block, while the engine is running. It works kind of like a stethoscope and you will be able to pin point exactly where the knocking is coming from.

If it is the bottom end the knocking will be really loud in your ear when you place it somewhere on the middle of the block, piston slap will be loud on one of the cylinders (rear drivers cylinder seems to be a regular one) and something wrong with the valve train will be loud on the heads or valve covers.

A done bottom end will be obvious.

Guest SPANKU

could be the heads, i had this same problem with my other motor awhile back ages a go. turns out that the shims needed to be reset.

Treecrusher said:

The other thing you can do is get a couple of long extensions (from a socket set) connect them together put one end up against your ear and place the other end on different areas of your block, while the engine is running. It works kind of like a stethoscope and you will be able to pin point exactly where the knocking is coming from.

If it is the bottom end the knocking will be really loud in your ear when you place it somewhere on the middle of the block, piston slap will be loud on one of the cylinders (rear drivers cylinder seems to be a regular one) and something wrong with the valve train will be loud on the heads or valve covers.

A done bottom end will be obvious.

good suggestion ,!

insanity007 said:

hmm...either way I'm not sure and I don't want the engine to blow up in my face so where's a good place I can take it to on the shore or close to the shore to get it checked out to find out exactly what the noise is and how I can fix it?

This is only my opinion, so take it or leave it. But I think you are better off diagnosing it (either yourself or another fellow clubsub member) and then ring around asking for quotes. Once you find a good price tow or tailor your car to prevent further damage. That way you can get several prices and aren't at the mercy of the first shop you get to.

Don't go to Northern Car Services, they hav'nt been the best since those asians took over.

Take my advise and take it to Engine Specialties on Hillside Rd Glenfield and ask for Dave, hes really good and will tell you exactly whats going on, be prepared tho he tells you how it is!

http://www.enginespecialties.co.nz/

or if you're around the Torbay area i can come over and have a listen, i'v been there and done that.