Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

How to put screamer on 95 twin turbo RS

Koom']

[quote name='aim said:

Why does everyone insist on ruining cars with artificial performance sounds? Such as 'wasties', 'screemers' and really loud BoVs? How much difference does it really make? Isn't a plumb back more efficient anyway? Why don't turbo'd track cars go screaming out of corners going "Vrrrrrrm! ~pssssht... Vrrrrrrrm! ~pssssht..." :P

/quote]

ever driven one...or just your nana spec sub?

Question still stands. That stuff improves performance marginally at best unless you're at the point that you need an external as your internal wastegate can no longer control boost as you've doubled the boost level (for example) which on most factory turbo's you'll also be out of its efficiency range and pushing increasing levels of hot air and reducing power.

Most people who have screamers still run ~factory boost levels and make similar levels of power as they would on an internal. So whats the point apart from the sound? ;)

not wanting to start a flame war...but you are saying it can produce a performance gain.

If you are using a factory dump pipe you will notice an even bigger gain by not mixing the exhaust gasses, so on a full factory car with only an external wastegate (vented) on the same psi you will notice a decent gain, when i have done this i also noticed no spiking and holding boost pressure right thru to the red line, something my internal wastegate failed to do.

so other than sound, there is a decent performance gain to be had hence why ppl do it, altho it seem there are way more 15yos BR ripping down the street showing that fact that they can get on boost in a school zone :P where as i daily drive my car and hardly ever crack the gate :)

AotearoaNZ said:

Sweet, dont know much about cars so was just looking into it cos I like the noise that they make, I guess yous are all right thanks for the answers and help again and

@ReubenH: where can i look at getting that combo or would it be better to put a single on it? sorry for asking heaps of questions but i just wanna know before i do stuff

single turbo is the way to go as most ppl who have done the conversion haven't looked back.

dubbedup']

[quote name='AotearoaNZ said:

Sweet, dont know much about cars so was just looking into it cos I like the noise that they make, I guess yous are all right thanks for the answers and help again and

@ReubenH: where can i look at getting that combo or would it be better to put a single on it? sorry for asking heaps of questions but i just wanna know before i do stuff

/quote]

single turbo is the way to go as most ppl who have done the conversion haven't looked back.

is there much i have to change in the engine? like injectors and all that?

dubbedup said:

not wanting to start a flame war...but you are saying it can produce a performance gain.

If you are using a factory dump pipe you will notice an even bigger gain by not mixing the exhaust gasses, so on a full factory car with only an external wastegate (vented) on the same psi you will notice a decent gain, when i have done this i also noticed no spiking and holding boost pressure right thru to the red line, something my internal wastegate failed to do.

so other than sound, there is a decent performance gain to be had hence why ppl do it, altho it seem there are way more 15yos BR ripping down the street showing that fact that they can get on boost in a school zone :P where as i daily drive my car and hardly ever crack the gate :)

So a screamer is the more expensive, illegal and more likely way to set fire to the underside of your car (as well as filling the cabin with carbon monoxide) of achieving a very marginal performance gain and better level of boost control that the exact same result can all be done legally with a widemouth (or divorced) downpipe that can be easily found for ~$150.

Legality or cost or anything else aside having an external wastegate made a performance increase in my car, which was more than marginal.

A year later i have totally different setup and have found a way to have it legal, with no poisoning side affects and still keep the sound. The best of both worlds maybe??

AotearoaNZ said:

AH-HAH Now you're talking sense. Getting a VF26/VF27 would be an easy and good upgrade (hah.. changing turbo's on a twin turbo = easy.... tui)

As for the single conversion, it's usually straight forward and can be done for about a grand.

UNFORTUNATELY, you have a BD5A, which is a biiiiiiiittttccchhhh to do the wiring with. Very few have successfully done a conversion with stock ECU's for this car, most just go aftermarket which costs $$$'s. Unfortunately i'd say it's too hard to do unless you were schooling US on the ways of a BG5A conversion.

So if you want single, either start researching 4-plug looms, or start saving some serious coin.

If I were you and wanted something decent I'd run the exhaust from the secondary down just clear of the firewall. Your car will sound stock on the primary, but as soon as you hit secondary it'd go nuts. Not to mention your VOD would disappear dramatically. Put a flange on the end of the pipe and the Y-join too so you can replace it with a pipe at WOF time, while at other times it vents and you just use a blocking plate over the Y-join flange.

Much more fun than going single, which as RH says is a bugger to do with your version...

The single conversion is well worth it but as said is alot harder with the BG5a. I'm guessing you dont have a huge budget? if not take it easy on ya car as they are at the age they love blowing lots of stuff.

aw sounds pretty difficult to do the single conversion, alot of $$s and too hard, think i'll stick with the twin turbo but look at upgrading the turbos with a VF26/VF27 combo, sounds mean, how much am i looking at if i wanted to do this?