Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

petrol leak???

smokn4

i think petrol is somehow leaking into the cooling system...

smells of petrol in the top radiator hose/ header tank and coolant res.

the car is a BG5 TT WITH a suspected cracked head.

im in the process of sorting out the heads and my mate rekns its doing it because of the heads but im just wondering it it COULD be another sep issue.

Any Idea's ???

nt_a_foz said:

or a head gasket???

if the gasket goes in the right place unburnt fuel potentially could leak in to the cooling system couldnt it?

couldnt see why not

-smurff

smurff']

[quote name='nt_a_foz said:

or a head gasket???

if the gasket goes in the right place unburnt fuel potentially could leak in to the cooling system couldnt it?

/quote]

couldnt see why not

-smurff

More likely large quanities of combustion products before unburnt fuel, unless the head has a monumental crack in it leading from somewhere behind the valves to the coolant system without going into the combustion chamber.

I can't really think of anywhere that unburnt fuel could get into the coolant without there being an obvious trail of destruction and coolant leaking all through your engine.

yea its weird, smells of petrol in radiator hose, water fly's out of header tank when cranking it over with cap off (when caps on it comes out of the coolant over flow tank on radiator ;D ) and NO there's no signs in the oil of aa cracked head ie milky residue etc...

unsure whats causing it ???

could it not push petrol between a damaged head gasket on the compression stroke? due to the pressure.

the coolant wouldn't get that high a pressure so wouldn't push back into the cylinders?

-smurff

smurff said:

could it not push petrol between a damaged head gasket on the compression stroke? due to the pressure.

the coolant wouldn't get that high a pressure so wouldn't push back into the cylinders?

-smurff

possible ???

smurff said:

-smurff

If the compression is enough to push into the coolant, then the pressure when everything explodes inside the cylinder will be much, much higher and blow bubbles out into the coolant. Which, it now looks like, that is exactly whats going on in this motor.

A blown headgasket doesn't always have to go through to the oil <-> coolant <-> combustion chamber. It has probably blown in between the combustion chamber and a coolant passage. Evidenced by it blowing water everywhere.

Need to pull it apart and fix it.

yup somthings toasted in your motor. and its forcing combustion gases in to your coolant system.

Iv got this tester at work that we use on cars with suspected headgaskets. Some how it changes the colour of the fluid from blue to yellow when its mixed with exhuast gases.

yep,

getlow, you must get someone at work to explain the teaster to you :D if your using it and know how/why it works you will be more satisfied in ur ability to use it :D

-smurff

I know how it works, you suck some of the water out of the radiator, then you have the car running, squezze the squishy bit a half dozen times and see if the Fluid changes colour.

I have read the instructions when We got it. I just don't remember the finer details when I'm at home.

I have used it a few times and have had a couple of positive results, or in the owners eyes a negative result.

T.K testers a crap, do a leak down lest and find out how healthy the whole engine is before you pull it down. it will still show a leaking head gasket.

Guest boostin

I've never seen a Subaru with blown head gaskets that mix oil and coolant. Its always compression into the coolant. If you're getting a big jet of water out of the filler cap, thats a sure sign that either the gaskets are well and truly blown and/or the head/s are cracked. Don't bother with a TK test. Its getting compression gasses into the coolant. Nothing else will get that much pressure behind it to shoot a jet of water out the filler cap.

Iv seen a twin turbo motor that was missing a big chunk out of the side of it at the top where it met the heatgasket. was a stock car, that over heated going over the local hill.

GETLOW said:

yup somthings toasted in your motor. and its forcing combustion gases in to your coolant system.

Iv got this tester at work that we use on cars with suspected headgaskets. Some how it changes the colour of the fluid from blue to yellow when its mixed with exhuast gases.

T.K. test?