Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Fitting FMIC

• General Member

Anyone know of a decent step by step guide on fitting an FMIC?

I had a quick search through the forums but didnt find a lot about actual fitment and how to.

I want to give it a shot myself but im pretty nervous about any cutting of car in any way shape or form and have heard some is necesary.

Im looking to do the install on a 1998 WRX, any help/advice appreciated.

Not usualy an issue. But come to think of it i did have to use a hammer to make a bit of clearance in a couple of places.

Nothing major though.

If you still want a bit of a walkthrough, check the NASIOC forums.

Guest SPANKU

ive done it sooo many time and never had a chance to put any up on the forums im sure ive taken lots of photos.

the harddest part is to cut the bumper and to take it off

you need to cut your bumper iron also, hack of the part that is hanging down to the spot light

best way is to take off the right (driver side) guard or just loosen it

You will have to cut stuff.

You will have to cut in inner guard/engine bay guard thing to get the pipe in there then the bottom of the bumper iron.

Probably have to trim the spotty brackets as well..

Have done a couple now and have had to cut stuff on all..Regardless of kit..

Are you in hamilton now Johnny??? If you want to come for a drive to tauranga id be happy to do it for you one weekend.. I did Mantis69s in a few hours and have all the tools and bits needed.

only really need to cut the inner guard to fit the pipes thru to the 1 that comes off the turb, you'll need a hammer so the pipes coming off the intercooler itself dont touch the inside edges (they WILL peirce the piping under load = air leak) other than thar its pretty simple.....

for a laught take it to a mechanic and ask for a quote to get it put on

you'll walk away laughing after you hear all the BS they rekns involved in doing this aswell as the price..... i got quoted $450 just to put it on, then they rekn i needed a bigger turb and a tune ;D ;D

• General Member
 nt_a_foz said:

You will have to cut stuff.

You will have to cut in inner guard/engine bay guard thing to get the pipe in there then the bottom of the bumper iron.

Probably have to trim the spotty brackets as well..

Have done a couple now and have had to cut stuff on all..Regardless of kit..

Are you in hamilton now Johnny??? If you want to come for a drive to tauranga id be happy to do it for you one weekend.. I did Mantis69s in a few hours and have all the tools and bits needed.

Yeah im in Hamilton now.

Im kinda stuck working weekends atm. But I might take you up on that soon, bring a few cold ones over and would appreciate a how to as we go for future reference.

Where the pipes go into the core you have to trim the bottom 2inchs or so off the iron on everyone iv done...

Yeah man no problem if you keen just let me know and we can do a how to..i was meant to last time i did it haha

Guest SPANKU

i totally forgot that my bumper isnt on my car. i can get some photos for you.

and i saw one photo from spark38 facebook of how it looks on the right handside as he took the guard off

Cheers to brad (not_a_foz) for installing my fmic a while ago. Here is a thread of mine being done, maybe it will help....

• General Member
 nt_a_foz said:

Ahh forgot yo uhad that thread mantis..

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,9208.0.html

As can be seen in one of the photos im cutting the bit to make the inlets to the core visible/connectable to the piping...

Theres no way around it as far as i know...

Thatsreal handy, shows pretty much what I have to cut. Feel much less intimidated by it now.

I got a qoute from spect in dunedin to determin a price on fitting a front mount. (Gt starlet) and he qouted $350. I wet myself laughing at him. Like wtf $350 for 2 hours top's work for something so basic.

there is actually a bit of time in it...a couple of hours in the fitting but its the bumper that takes the longer ..you can spend a whole day doing the bumper fitment on its own if you do it tidely and nice it takes a lot of time.

Technically yes. Not a lot of garages will pull you up on it, but if they were picky or you got someone in a bad mood and wanted to make an example of you, you would fail, and you'd have no arguement.

If you went for a cert, you would definitely fail.

If you want to be 100% certain in what you can do, then contact a certifier in your area, and tell them the areas you wish to cut, and whether they would fail you on it.

it cost me 1600 to fit(not counting the kit) fuuck u bay subaru i never went back to them after that,and they never connected 1 of the vac hoses back to the turbo so it would cut out at like 4000rpm,that cost me just under 300 for a hose clip at another subaru garage taurangas so ****

hlau028 said:

regarding the cutting of the bumper iron tips at the bottom, would this fail WOF?

As i know it causes alot of problems with Silvias

Not if your car is a 97 model or older, iirc. Or is that a different bit of metal that that lets you cut?