Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Only 20km's out of rebuilt Bilstiens ??

Hello again peoples, allrighty a while back I had my Billy's rebuilt, I've gotten no more than 20,000kms out of them and one has started to knock again, I dont really mean knock I mean bang bang bang, it's like some little munchkin is hiding in the rear gaurd smacking the crap out of the strut! Have had her up on the ramps twice to look for any buggered bushes ect but cant find anything at all, and it sounds very strut orientated.

I can almost guarantee that the company that rebuilds them wont have a bar of fixing it free of charge but does anyone think that 20km's of use from essentially a brand new strut before being worn out again is a bit beyond the joke? It's a real pain as it's $300 each to repair plus labor and being without a car for over a week.

Its like most things i guess. The quality of parts used in the rebuild.

20kms is abit of a shocker though.

Should ring the company that did it and ask what they would expect to get off rebuilt bilsteins. Just dont give them your info.

Hailz said:

Hello again peoples, allrighty a while back I had my Billy's rebuilt, I've gotten no more than 20,000kms out of them and one has started to knock again, I dont really mean knock I mean bang bang bang, it's like some little munchkin is hiding in the rear gaurd smacking the crap out of the strut! Have had her up on the ramps twice to look for any buggered bushes ect but cant find anything at all, and it sounds very strut orientated.

I can almost guarantee that the company that rebuilds them wont have a bar of fixing it free of charge but does anyone think that 20km's of use from essentially a brand new strut before being worn out again is a bit beyond the joke? It's a real pain as it's $300 each to repair plus labor and being without a car for over a week.

Sheeeet at $300 I might just end up buying new then when mine are due to be done...

djr03 said:

may i ask where you had them rebuilt as mine need a rebuild

Well I had Armstrong Subaru do it in Christchurch but they send them up to Auckland to get done, I know that SuspensionTech do them but not 100% sure if thats who they use

subieboy']

[quote name='Hailz said:

/quote]

Sheeeet at $300 I might just end up buying new then when mine are due to be done...

Yeah well $300 is the cheaper option, I was qouted $510 each shock brand new ex japan with at least a two week wait, I can see why so many guys put adjustables in them

• 1 month later...

when i wanted my tein's rebuilt it was going to cost an arm an a leg as they wanted to replace them with blisteins inserts it was going to be $1200 to rebuild two from SuspensionTech in auckland i was like i'll pass thanks.

QRAF said:

when i wanted my tein's rebuilt it was going to cost an arm an a leg as they wanted to replace them with blisteins inserts it was going to be $1200 to rebuild two from SuspensionTech in auckland i was like i'll pass thanks.

Autolign rebuild Teins.

Worse case $350 per unit.

BC5RA']

[quote name='QRAF said:

/quote]

Autolign rebuild Teins.

Worse case $350 per unit

not %100 true, i had one rebuilt for my brothers bh, it was around 420, and that was a non adjustable shaft type at trade.... they did say it was unsually expensive for some of the bits in it tho.

EJ20T']

[quote name='QRAF said:

/quote]

Autolign rebuild Teins.

Worse case $350 per unit

not %100 true, i had one rebuilt for my brothers bh, it was around 420, and that was a non adjustable shaft type at trade.... they did say it was unsually expensive for some of the bits in it tho.

Put it down to being more charismatic ;)

When I was quoted in Wellington that was the price. Could be a model difference with mine being Super Streets that are one of three main models offered.

Guest loren

When you get a rebuild, only the internals of the shock are replaced.

The problem with inverted struts is that there are two moving shafts. First there is the shock itself

that moves up and down inside the strut housing, then there is the actual shock absorber and it's

shaft (the section you get rebuilt). It is common for subaru rear struts to have problems with the shock/strut movement, which

a rebuild does nothing more for than a clean and regrease. If the inside surface of the strut housing

and outer surface of the shock body are worn, and no longer a perfect match, then there is sweet

dog on it all you can do, apart from clean and regrease, which only last a short time from my

experience.

I would personally remove the shock, take the inner section out, clean and regrease it, and see if

that helps. Use CV grease.

hence me being quoted $1241.58 not the $320 the guy said it might be over the ph so my inner and outer shocks must both need replacing.

he also said i wouldn't be able to adjust the dampers after they were rebuilt.

BC5RA']

[quote name='QRAF said:

/quote]

Autolign rebuild Teins.

Worse case $350 per unit

Put it down to being more charismatic ;)

When I was quoted in Wellington that was the price. Could be a model difference with mine being Super Streets that are one of three main models offered.

yeah initialy they said about $150 +gst at trade, but he ran it so long with no oil all they could use was the body, price escalated from there