Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Slipway HCCC event Auto-X photoworks series

Joker

Al employed his magical powers of speedification. Jason and Viv dual drove Jason's Coupe. Looked like they both had fun. Four Subbys in the top four, five in the top nine (there were fifty entries!). Amy dual drove Geoff's RS Legacy and posted some very respectable times.

Funnily enough the other blue Type R did the exact same thing later in the day (ie me in Jasons car!).

Infact I never got a run where I didnt either spin or hit something!

Well done to Jase and Amy for getting out their for the 1st time at Slipway and giving some Subbies a flogging :)

Guest loren
 GC8E2DD said:

Yes. Long enough to get into third briefly, or run into the limiter in second. A lot of people misjudged their braking point; underestimated their speed, or overestimated their brakes/ grip.

Webster is used to a much lighter car, so screwing up brake points isnt surprising really.

loren']

[quote name='GC8E2DD said:

Yes. Long enough to get into third briefly, or run into the limiter in second. A i]lot[/i] of people misjudged their braking point; underestimated their speed, or overestimated their brakes/ grip.

Webster is used to a much lighter car, so screwing up brake points isnt surprising really.

He would also have not been used to how crappy these semi-slicks are, until they finally grip, which is a bit of a lottery.

Ouch, that looks like a huge lock up :o, Hopefully the car is alright, its not often that you see your car Al creating smoke like that and also not surpised you came first either

Any official results?

just want to be noisy and see where the other clubsub'er got

Round # 3 Wrap Up!

www.photoworks.co.nz Autocross Challenge

Brought to you by Photoworks, and Neil’s Wheels

Never let it be said that you’re not a determined bunch of folks. Never mind the fact that it was so cold on Sunday morning that they were chipping dogs off lampposts before dawn, there were 50 keen drivers lined up and ready to hurtle around tyres and cones all day.

I’m glad to say that the weather held off until after 1pm, where it turned into hail then rain. It all got a bit interesting, if quite a bit slower for most folk at that stage.

The course layout by Ben was again a mixture of fiendish and wildly entertaining. There was a nice tight zigzag up to the far end of the course, then a seriously fast blast back to The Tyre Wall Of Death.

Leading the results was Al (Mr Consistency) Groves in his Sti (also driven by Webster, whose Starlet is undergoing serious heart surgery), with a flying newcomer to the series Mike Welsby in his 4AGTE powered KP Starlet who managed to put 180kw at the wheels to remarkable use. Geoff Warren brought his trusty Legacy home in third, with Sam Duncan in another Sti in fourth. You know that the Mitsi crowd are eating their hearts out when Subaru’s take out three out of the top four places at an event!

Pete Collins was fifth in the Corolla, then Brian Worboys in the Roadrat, chased home by Webster driving the Albaru, Leon in the Pulsar, then venue owner Ben driving his Silvia with some huge aggression. Graham Heath continued the Nissan theme with his Pulsar, followed by helper of the year 2009 Cam Garthwaite in a borrowed Mirage.

Wow where there some new faces running on Sunday. Rob Sclater in a 325i BMW (5th in class), Kris Zivkovic in a borrowed MR2 (10th in class), Chris Anstis in brother Mark’s Starlet (10th in class), Amy Stratton in a borrowed Legacy (5th in class), Colin Rose with an Integra turbo (20th in class), Jason Young running yet another Sti coupe (6th in class), Michael Gray who was Captain of the HMS Fairmont (17th in class), Kerri Mareeba in a borrowed MX5 (20th in class). Welcome all, and I hope we will see you back again having (legal) skids with us.

A number of people decided to mow down large numbers of tyres, mostly in the form of The Tyre Wall Of Death, including Webster who did a lovely effort in a borrowed car. Luckily it seems that most people managed to get away without damage, although series sponsor Chelles did manage to “adjust” the front bumper on the Mirage somewhat. Brent Sellens gets an award for “most determined to run stuff over” having carried a (smoking) tyre around the course wedged under his sump.

The Grey Power battle between Shane and weiner in the Pulsars saw old age and treachery (weiner) come home 1.4 seconds ahead. Some of the other traditional battles didn’t come about though, as Brendon decided that rather than getting beaten by Stacey (again) he’d stay at home and do the cleaning instead. Craig Bartosh we reckon was a bit cheeky by running a Capri with vastly more power than daughter Georgia. So even though Craig got an outstanding 3rd in class, we reckon Georgia gets the moral victory in that battle. Cam beat Chelles in her car, so he’ll be on the sofa for a week now.

Next month prepare yourself for serious madness. We’ve got a Saturday afternoon into evening event on July 31st. We will gather at 1:30pm for documentation and scrutineering at our usual car park. We will run however many runs we can get in during daylight hours, then break for a BBQ. After the BBQ we will then run in the dark. The result will be decided by your fastest day run, added to your fastest night run. Feel free to put all the extra lighting on your car that your alternator can support.

Thanks to our many helpers, and sponsors- www.photoworks.co.nz and Neil’s Wheels

The fourth round of the Photoworks Autocross Challenge is on July 31st

Promoted by Harbour Capital Car Club www.hccc.org.nz

Contact [email protected] or

Organisers: Andrew Thomson 0272-605-830, Leon Cast 027-6996-838

Scrutineer: Aaron Tasker 0274-126-582

Want to book Slipway Track yourself? contact Ben Watson 027-337-5620