Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Anyone know the top speed of a v5 sti gearbox

CR4SHR said:

what im asking is there a point (speed) where the gearbox is the limiting factor of the car not going any quicker

For a stock STI v5 with 0.738 5th gear and 4.444 final drive 5th gear runs to 35.13km/h per 1000 rpm.

So Vmax

@peak power 6500rpm = 228km/h

@peak torque 4400rpm = 155km/h

@redline 7900rpm = 277km/h which is clearly in fantasyland given the laws of physics and overdriven gearboxes which says the engine won't get anywhere near redline in 5th gear without divine intervention.

Realistically vmax is greater than @peak power and less than @redline,.

Most roadtests give a figure of ~240km/h .

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest keltik

In 3rd gear? Sorry but no. 140 in 3rd is a piece of cake...but 240 - just no. Unless its a yank spec 3 speed auto.

Guest boostcut

quote a gearbox will handle as much power from the engine as it can before it goes bang.

for example - my $4000 shot peened STI box is capable of going over 240kph & has done so afew times.

i can easily get to 240kph(nz new speedo head) in 3rd gear.

i also know what my top speed is.

gotta love the ramarama straights at 3am. its called tunnel vision.

Posted on: July 18, 2010, 08:12:16 pm Posted by: T.Rev

what happens when you hit the nos? and then the wasteys start screaming? does that pull the bitches? saying your car does 240 in 3rd meand you havent even changed into the overdriven gear that is called 5th which theoretically will make your car do 400kph

yeah was going to say i'm sure he meant 140 in 3rd as i can only get to 180kph in 4th and thats with a nz new gearbox which i'm told is a different ratio than the JDM.

I wish my car could keep up with the veyron at 400kph.

the fastest my cars been is down the bom bay hills but never again as i was sure i was died twice as the car bounced over the road as i tried to slow down.

QRAF said:

yeah was going to say i'm sure he meant 140 in 3rd as i can only get to 180kph in 4th and thats with a nz new gearbox which i'm told is a different ratio than the JDM.

I wish my car could keep up with the veyron at 400kph.

the fastest my cars been is down the bom bay hills but never again as i was sure i was died twice as the car bounced over the road as i tried to slow down.

was the speed limit aye :)

-smurff

Guest keltik
 newsuba said:

Anything i possible on the internets...

BTW Ben I have a great big muthafuka Wadia CDP to play with.

:D

Bahaha! So Paul finally paid you a visit? He was in the shop yesterday or the day before. Apparently someone tipped him off we were getting rid of cambridge ;D