Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Guide to changing oil???

matty231

Hey everyone,

Sorry about noobish question but anyone know where I can find a guide to manually changing the oil / filter and how to remove the big plastic cover under the engine?

Also what oil for an EJ20 (non-turbo), im guessing 10w 40?

Thanks,

Matt

Guest keltik

If anyones able to wait till tomorrow ill do a full write up with pictures. Then we can sticky it and be done with this

Guest boostcut

12mm socket 3 inch extension and a ratchet to undo bolts for plastic cover 3 at front in holes and two at back... possibly screws or 10mm tek screws holding behind front wheels... and the rest should come easily???? ie take filter off spin new one on THEN drail oil as if you dont the oil pump CAN loose its "prime"and you will fuck a bigend i have done it at work before then fill up with oil.... its really not that hard...

Guest keltik

Best tip ever coming up;

Fill the new filter with clean oil before you screw it on. Youll be amazed how much it takes

keltik said:

You get instant pressure on the restart, the H6 filter is huge tho so this applies more to me

From memory most cars/utes/trucks/etc have the old pre-fill the filter trick somewhere in their service manuals...

Well we used to do it to the old Hi-lux and the old Massey Ferguson...

matty231 said:

Also what oil for an EJ20 (non-turbo), im guessing 10w 40?

just looked up at work for you and if its for the car in your signature then your looking at running a 5w30 full synthetic, this is form the chevron website as they supply our oils at work.

boostcut said:

12mm socket 3 inch extension and a ratchet to undo bolts for plastic cover 3 at front in holes and two at back... possibly screws or 10mm tek screws holding behind front wheels... and the rest should come easily???? ie take filter off spin new one on THEN drail oil as if you dont the oil pump CAN loose its "prime"and you will **** a bigend i have done it at work before then fill up with oil.... its really not that hard...

??

Drain it then remove filter. Replace new filter fill with full 4l let it sit with cap off for a couple mins then cap on restart no drama. Howd you pop a beb? Never heard that one.

Also dont forget to apply some oil to the rubber o-ring on the filter so that it seats correctly and clean the underside of oil filter housing(on engine) so it seals properly.

JMO

Guest boostcut
 Swindog']

[quote name='boostcut said:

12mm socket 3 inch extension and a ratchet to undo bolts for plastic cover 3 at front in holes and two at back... possibly screws or 10mm tek screws holding behind front wheels... and the rest should come easily???? ie take filter off spin new one on THEN drail oil as if you dont the oil pump CAN loose its "prime"and you will **** a bigend i have done it at work before then fill up with oil.... its really not that hard...

/quote]

??

Drain it then remove filter. Replace new filter fill with full 4l let it sit with cap off for a couple mins then cap on restart no drama. Howd you pop a beb? Never heard that one.

because the OIL PUMP LOST ITS PRIME AS IT DRAINED DOWN AND GOT AN AIRLOCK IN THE PICKUP TUBE , THE PUMP THEN CAVITATED AND WAMMO FUCKED A BEARING... IT DONT TAKE MUCH REALLY ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS TAKE A BIT OF WHITE METAL OFF THE BEARING SHELL AND ITS POONED

Swindog']

ie take filter off spin new one on THEN drail oil as if you dont the oil pump CAN loose its "prime"and you will **** a bigend ,

never heard this before doesnt sound right?wouldnt oil piss out everywhere while ur trying to swap the filters when its full of oil? and how would it be different to pre filling the new filter with new oil other wise ud have old oil in the new filter?i dont get it?

Guest boostcut
 ortin']

/quote]

ie take filter off spin new one on THEN drail oil as if you dont the oil pump CAN loose its "prime"and you will **** a bigend ,

never heard this before doesnt sound right?wouldnt oil piss out everywhere while ur trying to swap the filters when its full of oil? and how would it be different to pre filling the new filter with new oil other wise ud have old oil in the new filter?i dont get it?

no because your filter is mounted on the bottom of your engine..... and you put new oil in it

oh yip yea i know what you mean i thought you wher saying you swap the oil filters before you drain the old oil from the engine thats why it didnt make sence

so ur advise would be to not leave leave the filter off while ur draining the oil from the engine sump hole?and replace filter once engines empty of course (drained from sump hole)straight away?

Take off both the sump plug and the filter at the same time and let it drain.

Then rub a film of oil around the filter and then screw on (read the instructions on you genuine subaru filter) and screw on your your sump plug with crush type washer.

BC5RA said:

Take off both the sump plug and the filter at the same time and let it drain.

Then rub a film of oil around the filter and then screw on (read the instructions on you genuine subaru filter) and screw on your your sump plug with crush type washer.

sounds spot on just was over analising it haha

Guest keltik

Yeah this really isnt a hard job but i shall do a nice write up on a few procedures with pictures over my break in 2 weeks time.

I might add my 2 cents here...

Dont forget to loosen the oil cap up top other wise it splutters out as air is tryin to get back in...

As wtih all vehicles i've had, I drain fully first, then do the filter. As said def fill the filter before replacing.