Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Inspiration for my 2004 2.0i wagon

stubaru

• 5 weeks later...

Righto, so back in the game after sourcing a replacement car.

Have the fascia i bought of trademe, and today recieved a JVC KW-XR816 from trademe (was going to get one of the touchscreen ones till i read the other thread about them not closing... and i dont really need video... yet ;))

Will install it this weekend - looking forward to the bluetooth pairing with my Android phone, and planning on leaving a USB HDD in the glovebox (or somewhere hidden, but connected) full of music.

Next plan is to hit up strongforsubaru.co.nz or similar for an OEM clock and DIN pocket to replace the aftermarket non-functioning nav. If anyone has any alternative recommendations - let me know :)

After a month of using the girlfriends car, it's good to be back behind the wheel of a Subaru!

stubaru said:

Next plan is to hit up strongforsubaru.co.nz or similar for an OEM clock and DIN pocket to replace the aftermarket non-functioning nav. If anyone has any alternative recommendations - let me know :)

good luck finding one of those mate for under several hundred dollars, I got quoted $400 from one of the places in Auckland Waiuku I think? ($200 for just the clock unit!) they said they are the biggest selling item from dealers wanting to do the same thing.

But then if you do manage to find them for reasonable money, please let me know

Well, the head unit is in, and thanks to a couple of $16 adapters from repco only took me 20mins to install.

Very impressed with the unit on the whole, extremely functional at a glance, and once i get my head around all the features i'll really be away laughing. Wired up the hands free microphone up by the driver's side sun visor, cable hidden etc... very stealth.

Only downside is that it's ever so slightly smaller than the hole in the dash, and the top seems to sink in deeper than the bottom. Will try putting a couple of washers under the top screws... but that's just my OCD kicking in.

it has 2 areas of colour, both independantly selectable: when the buttons are set to red it matches the rest of the dash flawlessly... although the white of the display doesn't really match the white of the AC control, so i'll leave that red also.

Still looking to put a camera on the tailgate (hooked up to the camera input of the japanese nav system): anyone got any good quality, cost effective reccommendations? wide angle would be awesome but not essential.

Pics to come, only got a blurry one taken on my phone at present. Very happy.

If anyone has need for an OEM stereo with the 6 disc stacker (perhaps to replace a broken/malfunctioning one), flick me a PM/email... it's not much use to me, but a couple of boxes of beer would be :)

stubaru said:

... If anyone has need for an OEM stereo with the 6 disc stacker (perhaps to replace a broken/malfunctioning one), flick me a PM/email... it's not much use to me, but a couple of boxes of beer would be :)

If that's yours on Trademe... I did exactly the same thing with mine ;D Forgot to take the discs out before ripping in there and removing the unit. I'll probably apply a little 12V + & - to the appropriate pins to get them out later on ;)

I've been installing my rear camera today. US$39 including shipping from Hong Kong, and looking good so far. Website here http://tinyurl.com/3wa9ocv

The thing is tiny. I have it on the hanger attachment rather than drill holes through my tailgate, but it comes with a hole saw if you prefer it flush mounted.

Rearcam.jpg

stubaru said:

haha, yep that's me - might plug it back in when i start playing with washers/alignment... stupid CD's

post a pic of the final result... keen to see how it looks!

Here it is... it's there somewhere. I had to use a photo with the flash throwing a silhouette of the cam so you could make it out... It's not very obvious unless you know it's there, or what it is.

The picture out of it is excellent. I ran a single wire (I had a roll of 8 gauge lying around) with the video RCA wire around the passenger side head-liner, through the rubber grommets at the tailgate (silicone spray is great stuff), to the reverse light. Tapped in there for + and - for the camera, and the + for the wire running back to the trigger at the head-unit. So the camera turns on when I select reverse, and a signal is sent to the head-unit to override whatever is playing to show the picture.

The wire from the camera runs under the edge of the garnish, and I drilled a hole through under where the left hand number plate light is after I couldn't find another way through there. Subaru seems to have gotten more anal about holes under the garnish after the BH's leaks back there. You don't need a very big hole at all - there's a tiny plug in the last bit of line to the camera.

If I did it all over again? I might just whack a hole through there above the centre of the number plate with the supplied hole saw, and install the camera there flush. I put mine far enough over to the left side so it wouldn't get bumped by hands opening & closing the tail-gate, but it might be still more exposed than it needs to be? Time will tell, and I'll move it if it becomes a problem.

DSCF4533.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Peg, very interested in your post about the camera. I have a 2006 Legacy wagon with the jap screen, Panasonic DV155 nav DVD under the drivers seat etc. Adding a reversing camera seems a good idea to me, a cheap way to make the screen do something as at the moment it just lights up when reverse is selected. Can I ask where does the camera you link to plug in to? Have you a DV155 too? Cheers Nick

nickb said:

Peg, very interested in your post about the camera. I have a 2006 Legacy wagon with the jap screen, Panasonic DV155 nav DVD under the drivers seat etc. Adding a reversing camera seems a good idea to me, a cheap way to make the screen do something as at the moment it just lights up when reverse is selected. Can I ask where does the camera you link to plug in to? Have you a DV155 too? Cheers Nick

Welcome aboard here Nick... though I'm no veteran myself as you can see by my own post count.

My camera plugs into the back of a cheap aftermarket stereo in an expensive aftermarket double-din replacement surround - as seen in the other thread I've been active in... "Trademe Chinese DVD GPS BT TV Double Din screens". I have no experience with the DV155 or the Jap screen etc

Here's a recent picture of the finished product...

DSCF4573.jpg