Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Lamco Gauges

nt_a_foz

now I have a question about mine haha, do the Lamco oil temp gauge's work off some sort of factory sensor? or do i need to find a sender for it? (im guessing its oil temp, maybe its water, but it only goes up to 50 degrees celcius so I guess its to let you know once the car is at a decent operating temp?)

What ones do you have? I have seen a few different combos, mine are Boost (in bar) volts, and oil temp

Hrm, apparently there is an OEM part number for it - but I don't know what it is. Also don't know if they were fitted at the factory (off the option list) or something done at the dealer. Quite a few Type Rs have the exact same setup, including a matching boost gauge off the steering column. In fact I've only seen the Volts/ Oil Temp/ Oil Pressure Lamco combo on Type Rs. I've seen a black faced version with boost instead of oil temp(?), but that was in an RA and it was in or below the DIN slot rather than at the top in a shroud.

Does anyone know what the story is with the oil pressure setup.

So i replace the factory oil pressure sensor with the gauge one.

THe gauge loom has 2 plugs one that takes the factory sensor plug and one that plugs into the aftermarket gauges.

So looking at the gauge setup, its got a box thing that all the wiring goes into.

So im just wondeirng how the ecu knows what the oil pressure is upto.

Is that what the black box in the guage set up is for?? so the sensor tells the black box and hte other loom from the gauge goes to the factory sensor plug so this tells the ecu??

Is that right?

The box is there to ditch the factory oil pressure switch without the factory ecu throwing up a "no oil pressure" fault.

You should be able to ditch it as your running the G4, but it wont matter if you dont.

Its a stand alone unit, so it doesn't send any oil pressure signal to the ecu.

Here's how the wiring goes on mine....

Volt Meter

Yellow = Lights 12v+

Red = 12v+ (switched ignition)

Black = Earth

Oil Temp Guage

Yellow = Lights 12v+

Blue/White = Earthed AND connected to Blue/White on Black Box

White = Temp Sensor

Oil Temp Sensor

White = Temp Guage Signal

Black = Earth

Oil Pressure Guage

Yellow = Lights 12v+

White = White on the black box

Blue/White = Earth AND connected to Blue/White on black box

Oil Pressure Sensor

Blue = Blue on black box

Yellow = White on black box

Black = Black in the black box

The extra Black wire that runs with the oil pressure sensor loom connects to the wire that WAS connected to your old factory oil pressure switch. The other end of the black wire connects to the black wire in the black box. This is the bit that makes your ECU think the original pressure switch is still connected so it doesn't throw up a fault code.

Clear as mud???

Guest boostin
 nt_a_foz said:

haha true that.

But then what does the oil pressure light on the dash work on..This sensor i assume?

It works on the switch (not sensor, it's either on or off) under the alternator.

Guest boostin
 nt_a_foz said:

yes i realise thats how it works factory

BUT

to run the lamco gauges you remove this switch

and replace it with the lamco one...

therefore its not there anymore and the lamco loom has a plug to plug the factory switch plug into

So just leave the factory wire unplugged. No biggie.