Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Car Security Details for Insurance

Hi,

I have a 2003 Subaru Legacy GT spec B 2.0L Japan import. It has a factory immobiliser and alarm, but the insurance company needs more information. Does anyone know what model number the immobiliser and alarm is? I don't have an owners manual.

They also asked what circuits get cut (immobiliser) if there's a back-up battery (i assume for alarm and immobiliser?) and what areas have sensors for the alarm (i.e. Door, Boot etc)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Seems no one will answer this one so I will have a crack. I do not know exactly what the Subaru factory alarm is like but most likely all openings are alarmed - doors, boot and bonnet and most likely the immobiliser would cut the starter motor or ignition circuit. For insurance though you really need to be sure so call Winger and check or go with an insurer that is not so picky.

My insurance company (AMI) asked specifically what 2 area's get immobilized with the alarm - without that info, no insurance + had to be recognised as a 5 star alarm...

Theres a Gen 3 manual in the workshop section, if you look at wiring diagram, it shows the Immobilizer module and the circuits it controls. I'll look later tonite, as i cant seem to load it from my work computer.

*EDIT:

Factory only cut-outs the starter circuit. So only one point.....

But..... using the I/O from the module you could hook up another Relay to interrupt the Fuel pump control relay or ignition.

I dont trust aftermarket alarms. Thou GPS tracker would be good.

DarkCrystal GTB said:

My insurance company (AMI) asked specifically what 2 area's get immobilized with the alarm - without that info, no insurance + had to be recognised as a 5 star alarm...

Go talk to State or another one then, they are doing the classic " piss him around because we dont really want his business, but if he comes back we can look at it then and quote stupid rates"

DarkCrystal GTB said:

They didn't ask me for any detail, just whether it had an alarm/immobiliser.

Mine is NZ new with a mongoose unit though, AFAIK it was fitted by Subaru NZ from new.

I rang all insurers - including AMI (who I have other insurance with) and found State was the best. Did all the business over the phone and took about 20-30 mins with all their questions etc. Fintel wouldnt even insure the car.

I have this Warlocks alarm in the car - dual immobiliser etc but it didnt say 5 Star. I rang the dude at Warlocks and he said that the whole 5 Star thing is a marketing gimmick which originated from an alarm outlet in North Shore. They struck a deal with some insurance company and now every insurance place asks for a 5 Star alarm. As long as it is proper immobiliser then it should be fine.