Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Primary Turbo.......Boost???

Garryg

Garryg said:

I'm going to get a boost gauge fitted as I don't seem to have stuff all effect from the primary turbo on my B4! I can't even here it kicking in? Should there be a noticable boost, or nothing more than a standard car???

Thanks Again...

Is yours auto or manual? To make sure mines still working I take off slowly with revs at about 1500 then put my foot half way down really quick, boost comes on really quick that way at about 2,500-3000rpm. Give that a go :) If its auto well I dunno then, my mate had an auto b4 and you could'nt really feel it come on suddenly, quite smooth really, but you could hear it though.

My Auto BD5 has a noticeable boost on the primary turbo, if you are feeling the effect get someone to start your car on a cold morning and check for smoke out the exhaust... i have noticed that when a few primary are giving up the ghost they let of some puff of smoke from a cold start

Depending on what your primary is i might have a spear sitting around if you do ever need one

Mine is an Auto......

Hopefully it's not the turbo, it's a 2001 and it's only done 65,000k's...not much for the turbo?

It's back in the garage at the moment as it had a slight tapping noise when accelerating......whether this can be caused by the turbo I don't know??

Pick it back up tomorrow, so hopefully it will be sorted.

Cheers

ReubenH said:

Bazza i didn't know you had a BD, closet TT owener eh? Tisc tisc.

Garryg, let us know what boost it's running when that gauge is fitted. Expect anything between 10 and 12 psi i think.

Yeah my lady wanted a subaru so we got a dirty tt for her as it was really cheap we paid just over 900 but had some / lots of issues but was a good project for me as i've never done a twin turbo before

had it for a wee while now brought it off trade me in rough condition.. On a cold start or about 3.5k you'd hear the big end pretty bad however got 2982k out of it with the big end on the blink

Just spent all of this weekend been dropping another motor in it which thus far is sounding good and strong

• General Member

18psi at 3k rpm here vid for proof

and not this isnt right...

I set mine to low boost 'some' of the time and life with waste gate pressure (10psi) might be why I am still on OEM motor 210,000 on clock and strong as ever! (lack of 98 also concerns me around here)

ReubenH said:

May as well stop beating around the bush and just single turb if you want to mess with boost like that.

Only thing stopping me doing it is the wiring its would be such a big mission to get everything sorted out for a single turbo

Besides if i wanted to play around with boost i've got my rs for that i'm sure it handle a fair bit before going bang