Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Power Stearing and suspension

ditchhobo

After going round a round-a-bout at speed powersteering starting whining constanly as if fulll lock.. everytime i reved it continued this untill i restarted it.. It has done this a couple of times since .. any ideas.. also my front suspension has been getting noisier and noisier when going over bumps and lately when i accelerate from a standstill i get a knocking sound coming from some where in the frontal direction. mabey from the suspension extending or something worse. car is a manual hope its not in the drivetrain or anny of that also does it if i accelerate slowly till clutch is out the hoon so i really am not sure any advice would be sweet assss thanks

ditchhobo said:

After going round a round-a-bout at speed powersteering starting whining constanly as if fulll lock.. everytime i reved it continued this untill i restarted it.. It has done this a couple of times since .. any ideas.. also my front suspension has been getting noisier and noisier when going over bumps and lately when i accelerate from a standstill i get a knocking sound coming from some where in the frontal direction. mabey from the suspension extending or something worse. car is a manual hope its not in the drivetrain or anny of that also does it if i accelerate slowly till clutch is out the hoon so i really am not sure any advice would be sweet assss thanks

My steering rack got water in it last year (Argh) and it cost me about $1200 to fix, ever since my whines and does it mainly when the cars barely moving or turning tight (sometimes a strange quick squeaky sound!). Maybe some air got into your system aerating the fluid slightly?

My suspension can be quite loud to, like a dry springy noise. I think it is generally the bushings getting old (the rubber between the joints to actually combat vibration/noise). But I don't think it's a big issue unless it's loud as :)

K, now that's run it's course, i'm going to delete my spam posts...

Matty, sorry if i offended you with that remark, it wasn't exactly appropriate.

Ditchhobo. The whine from the power steering could possibly be from the power steering pump itself, it's not uncommon for them to die, i've replaced mine in past. If it turns out to be the steering rack itself, consider actually just installing an STi steering rack. I've also done this mod, it will reduce the ammount of turns lock to lock, and stiffens up the feel quite a bit, it's a upgrade well worth doing, and i'm very very glad i did mine. I used a V3 STi rack which set me back a very moderate $100.

As for the struts, if they are bilsteins, it's very very likely they are poked, or on their way out. Again, another mint upgrade to do is to chuck some V7 or V8 STi struts in, but they aren't immune from death themselves as i found out on the weekend, and you need to get some camber bolts and spacer plates to make them fit properly. If you drive a gen 3, you can't do this upgrade because of the multilink rear suspension, so perhaps look into getting them rebuilt, or replacing them with some from a wrecker.

If you want to know what wrecker to go to; talk to "strong for subaru" in Onehunga (they ship nation wide). Tell them you've been sent by the good blokes at clubsub and you'll get a nice discount there, don't be affraid to name drop ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting the same kind of sound, however not the whining. Just the knocking noise, happens over bumps, and accelerating slowly from standstill, not all the time though. Gearbox feels fine and haven't noticed any change. Only started doing it since I changed my exhaust last week? Have double checked all bolts etc, whether it's just my exhaust knocking on something but can't find any loss bits at all so a bit stumped. Hoping it's not gearbox... I got a 1997 STi v3 wagon.

mmm however it does do it ocasionally at first start of the car before it is moved... but sometimes it won't. definitely not coming from engine though. sounds more like underneath me where gearbox is.

One thing though with my new exhaust one of the silencers is pushed up against the bracket where the rear driveshaft passes through, whether its just getting a noise from this when taking off sometimes or not... bit strange how it does it sometimes and not others.

• 2 weeks later...

It was a whining.. Hasn't done it in a while now.. So I'll forget about it for the moment the strange thing about the knocking coming from my frontal dirction is it only after driving for some time. A friend of mine thinks I'll have to get the bushes done soon...

ditchhobo said:

It was a whining.. Hasn't done it in a while now.. So I'll forget about it for the moment the strange thing about the knocking coming from my frontal dirction is it only after driving for some time. A friend of mine thinks I'll have to get the bushes done soon...

Hey, I have the same problem with my GTB. Knocking noise from front passenger side but only after driving for around 30min or more. Changed front end links cos they looked pretty knackered but that didn't make a difference. Happens when on smooth road as well so not sure what the problem is. Let me know if you figure it out.

Cheers.