Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Noisy Hydraulic lifters

1989RS

My engine has done about 650km since it has been re-built and has developed a loud ticking noise right hand side.im guessing its lifter noise. only thing is it dosent tick while it is idleing but as soon as you get above 1500+ rpm it gets loud just wondering if anyone has an idea of what i should do. Ive heard it may be a hard lifter that might have sludge in it but just wanting help (not what i wanted to happen just after its been re built)

I have a similar noise from my B4...It's only done 65k.

Perfectly silent on idel, but on acceleration the ticking starts..it then settles down again when cruising??

I took it back to the garage and they tried to say it was the fuel ???

I'm not convinced...

I just had a rebuild aswell and also have the old engine(wrx) with shim over bucket gtb heads,ive taken it back due to it ticking aswell and aparently he replaced with the wrong size shims,hes gonna replace with the bigger size shims and he reckons it will fix the prob whether it does is another story but may be the prob too.although mine ticks on idle to but is worse when driving.

With the heads off (or on the engine, but its a bitch), install your cams and measure the clearance between the cam lobe base circle and the top of the shim using a feeler gauge. On a peice of paper write down all the clearances of all 16 valves. Then find out the factory clearance, and work out how much clearance you need to increase or decrease.

Then you can order shims to the right size, or try and mix and match your current ones.

Guest boostcut

either that, or grind the stem of the valve when you have them out, i will put money on it that they ground the valves and didnt set the heights.

Guest DMSREX

Lots of possible remedies above but the question that comes to my mind is have you asked whoever built it for you ? If you paid good money to a workshop i'd be very pissed- off and let them know in that case.

I was going to use my old heads for the rebuild of my engine so priced so lifters and found a company that gets them from japan and imports them

works out at about $11 each brand new but when you have 16 to replace it works out cheaper than $30 each from other places

well i found out whats wrong with it just now. the cam cap bolts on 4th cylinder exhaust had snapped letting the cam cap float around. I have checked the cam lobes and there seems to be no damage but the cam cap is a different story. looks like its engine out and off to the engine shop so it can get the threads cleaned out :( :'(