Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Help needed!

Treecrusher

Hey all,

Currently I have a 2002 GTB Legacy (Etune if that counts for anything). It has factory tints on all the back windows and had a black tint strip across the top of the windscreen.

A couple of months ago a truck travelling in the opposite direction flicked up a stone and cracked the windscreen. Went through my insurance who sent me to Smith and Smith. They could only source one with a see-through green tint strip.

Not wanting to except that I went to Armstong (Chch Subaru dealership), told them the story and they said no problems we can get the correct (black) windscreen for it but it has to come from Japan. I said wouldn't it be easier to just get a second hand one? But it seems as the insurance company was paying for it the new one from Japan made them more money. Couple of weeks past and I got the call to bring my car in. Took it in and they installed a windscreen with a green tint strip >:(.

Talked to the previously helpful guy who is now saying the black tint strip was an aftermarket windscreen and Legacy's never left the factory like that. When I questioned that he said "Do you know more about Subaru's than me"

So it would be really helpful, if you own a BH Legacy with a black tint strip, if you could take a photo of the tint strip and post it up here. I've got a couple from trade me, but ideally I'd like to get a few close up of different cars to basically prove him wrong.

It seems the black tint strip must have been a factory option as it is a bit hit and miss whether a Legacy has a black strip or a green one. I know it seems pedantic but the green strip just doesn't look right.

Cheers in advance.

Yeah my old BH5 GTB had a black strip too - ur lucky when I went and got replacement for it you could actualy see the way theyed rolled it at the factory(anyone who knows glass will understand when I say it was like lookin through green house glass)for those that dont it was wavey as - made tyou feel sick looking through it on the angle. They didnt care either!!

Sorry no pics thou bud - but I hear yah!!

Oh and forgot to say - lean over the counter and show the "smart guy" the back of your pimp hand and say "yes I do actualy" then bitch slap him!! lol

Treecrusher said:

Cheers, that's exactly what mine looked like. I'm sure it's a factory thing, can't imagine changing it out just to get the tints to match. And if it was an aftermarket thing why can't smith and smith just get one of those.

Who did you talk to at armstrongs? Its possible that this is the supper-ceded part and they dont make the old style.

caged']

[quote name='Treecrusher said:

Cheers, that's exactly what mine looked like. I'm sure it's a factory thing, can't imagine changing it out just to get the tints to match. And if it was an aftermarket thing why can't smith and smith just get one of those.

/quote]

Who did you talk to at armstrongs? Its possible that this is the supper-ceded part and they dont make the old style.

I think his name was Laten. I agree, and quiet possible if it was a factory option. But the annoying thing is I went there to get a black one, I told him I wanted a black one, told him I could get a green one and didn't want it and told him if he couldn't get a black one I would just get a second hand one.

The windscreen cost over $1000 and the entire reason for that was to get the correct (black) windscreen. I had to make several calls to the insurance company to force them to pay for the correct one. Then he just goes and installs a green one which I could've had a month ago for quarter the price. Extremely average really, and I normally get really good service there.

I'd talk to someone further up and let them know you are disappointed - you chose to bring your business to them, and they let you down on it.

It's probably too late for them to offer to replace it, as you've already waited around for ages to get it done. I hate when things like that happen, it's just a waste of time and at the end of it - you don't wan't to waste any more time in getting it sorted out

I would say that Smith and Smith (or any window place for that matter) would not be bale to source one because a/they dont do genuine b/they source their glass out of OZ and u can guarentee that the car was never released in oz with the super dark band on it ....

Been talking to AMI today and it just gets better and better. Turns out Armstrong was paid $1,755 for the windscreen. A windscreen exactly the same as the Smith and Smith one that would've cost ~$400.

Needless to say AMI are now as pissed as I am and have taken the situation in hand.

I'm not usually one to publicly shame a company, but what Armstrong (or one of their employees at least) have done here is pretty rotten.

davidt said:

I'd talk to someone further up and let them know you are disappointed - you chose to bring your business to them, and they let you down on it.

Leighton is the parts manager.

caged']

[quote name='davidt said:

I'd talk to someone further up and let them know you are disappointed - you chose to bring your business to them, and they let you down on it./quote]

Leighton is the parts manager.

To be fair to Leighton (thanks for the spelling tip) was really helpful until just before windscreen was installed. I think what may of happened is he thought he was getting a black one when ordered from Japan, but a green one turned up and, either, he may not have been able to send it back, or the windscreen guy installed it and he hadn't checked to make sure it was black.

It went all wrong when I picked up the car and pointed out it was green and not black.

Either way it is in their court now, so it will be interesting to see how they handle the situation from here. I just want to have a decent number of photos showing the black strip if questioned again about what "factory" is.

I thought smith & smith could sorce any windscreen?

I had the one replaced in a 1989 galant, a 1993 legacy and my current legacy all using a copper/bronze/dark tint strip.

cost a little more but they still gave me the option

Maybe its not posible for a later model car yet?

I must say $1755 for a windscreen?? is that with a gold plated tint strip??