Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

mitsi triton, handbrake jammed on!

zarnah

dont know if i will get any help here but i have a 2002 4wd mitsi triton and my handbrake is jammed on, the handle is fully depressed but handbrake is definately on, every time i put the clutch in to change gear i do a massive powerslide! have checked the cables and all looks fine, handle is really firm and i can only pull it a couple inches, arrrgh! need my truck for work and shit like this always happens on a weekend!

my guess would be the cables are frozen/rusted in the sheathes,i would try tapping the inside of the rear drums with a hammer to jolt the cables free :)

other than that try and unadjust the rear brakes to allow some movemment

if u slidng maybe only one side jammed on

DRFVDR said:

my guess would be the cables are frozen/rusted in the sheathes,i would try tapping the inside of the rear drums with a hammer to jolt the cables free :)

other than that try and unadjust the rear brakes to allow some movemment

if u slidng maybe only one side jammed on

Agreed

Jack one side up at a time and try turning the wheel.

A quick TEMP fix is to blast some wd40 into the cable that is stuck... Doesnt last long tho

being a mitsubishi dealer mechanic for the last 4 years ive yet to see a triton h/b cable to seize but this is sounding like what happened, find out which side and then hammer and f around with the cable to see if u can get it to come back, it will be almost impossible to get the drum off with it seized on so dont even try, trust me i know.

EJ20T said:

being a mitsubishi dealer mechanic for the last 4 years ive yet to see a triton h/b cable to seize but this is sounding like what happened, find out which side and then hammer and f around with the cable to see if u can get it to come back, it will be almost impossible to get the drum off with it seized on so dont even try, trust me i know.

will give it a go tommorow mate I ended up parking it up and using the trusty old terrano today haha, I bet you are yet to see a late-ish model triton thats had such a hiding as mine too haha, the mechanic just smiles as I pull into his workshop, even if its just for a wof, because more often than not I have severely fucked something haha

problem found! the top leaf on the suspension on the passenger side has snapped clean in half and is pushing up against the cable, what an absolute heap of shit waste of money fucking bastard cunt truck, fuck sake bought the most modern truck I could afford too thinking that it would pay for itself by not having to spend money on it, but it has cost me more than any vehicle i have ever owned

Depends on the weight he wants to carry as most of the utes u see are maxed out a 500kg (no its not a lot )

you need either a landcruiser/patrol or a Yank too get more closer to 1 tonne :)

Actually I do know of a f250 that supposdely up for sale :)

Nah not really,could maybe get a heavier set of rear leafs, but that wont increase the LEGAL load carrying ability but will allow it to carry the rated load over rougher ground,which I think is Zarnahs issue, the Rated load is on smooth roads at slow speeds, going full tilt with a load on over rough tracks/ground will break springs :)

I guess getting a new heavier set of springs for the triton will help....

hahaha.

And you wonder why it broke?

Afaik they are pretty decent trucks but not "work" trucks.

Guy i know uses it for coast to coast/training etc.

He swears by it for carrying kayak, bikes etc. Says it hard wearing and reliable but then again bikes and kayaks arent 1400kgs!

we get forrestery hacks in thru work that have done like 350k and they are beat up but still mechanically decent and go ok. i also havnt seen a snapped leaf in a triton, and some of the ones we get are treated really badly, obvioulsy your worse than that

EJ20T said:

we get forrestery hacks in thru work that have done like 350k and they are beat up but still mechanically decent and go ok. i also havnt seen a snapped leaf in a triton, and some of the ones we get are treated really badly, obvioulsy your worse than that

mines done 120km :-\ haha I certainly dont baby it though...

zarnah']

[quote name='EJ20T said:

/quote]

mines done 120km :-\ haha I certainly dont baby it though...

Mental note:

Dont let him borrow your truck one day... :D