Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Downing of Subaru??

Is it just me or is half the world out to get the 6 stars lol, spokn to so many people lately who are so anti subaru its not funny, was wondering wether im just running into the wrong people or is it like that everywhere??? unreliable, buggers to work on, cost ya heaps, lol i have 3 over the last 5 years n apart from normal issues like a battery or alternator n that kinda crap not a problem?? even did a rebuild myself?? startn first pop n still goin strong, so yea was just wondering if any one else out ther has had this lol ?? :))

Guest DMSREX

Owned mine for 9 years NZ new WRX with minor mods (ECU/Exhaust etc) and its never missed a beat. Most people who crap on about poor reliability etc know next to nothing about Subaru's. Maybe its because its an NZ new one and i knew its service history etc before i got it that has given me all those years of reliability.

mhm i dont know theres only one car out of my mates who have blown up a turbo car that wasn't a subaru, other than that i know of about 4 BEB from subarus

What i think is that you cant rape a subaru the same as some other cars and expect them to last long

You have to be nicer to them, feed them good oil and regulary, then they should last fine

yea thats what i reakn to a, its kinda standard with anything tho a, u rape it, its not going to last as long, thing i love about them, bar the interchangability, is that normal stuff that goes wrong or have to get to with any car is so easy to get to, cam belt, starter motor, air con, alternator!!, oil filter, sump plug!, the only pain really is the water pump, the engines are so easy to take out, strip down, and put back in its not funny, and as you say if you look after them ther pretty reliable, my mate used to be a mechanic for stumpy holmes n reakns hes seen a ej20 so hot the plastic was melting around it and it was still going lol no warping or anything :)

I was once quite anti the 'octopus engine' and rumoured unreliability of the Subaru brand.

Subarus rate among the most reliable cars up to around 150,000km.

Ask any one who's owned a GT-R Skyline for more than 5 minutes about engine rebuilds, lol. If you haven't rebulit a RB26DETT you missed the true GT-R experience. RB is rumoured to stand for Run Bearings!

Honda's H22a seems to like dying around the 160-170,000km mark.

Many a SR20DE/DET has shit itself before its time as have 3SGTEs and 4AGEs all of which I have some experience with...

I drove a EVO 7 at a recent track day and nearly killed its 'mighty 4g63t as have many owners with older EVO's & VR4's.

Though older Sub engines & gearboxes may have let their owners down it's all to do with how they've been driven(mostly), serviced and tuned.

I have never done more than engine, brake & transmission fluids on a Subaru but my mate who tutors mechanics at BOP Polytech has completed a cam belt, tensioner & water pump replacement in under 1hr 40 mins and swears sub engine bays are no great hassle to work on.

owned 4 including a race car, all been thrashed, not had a single failure. I put it down to quality oil and regular changing. Too many people buy one drive it and don't even consider an oil change then complain when it runs a bearing.

haha octopus engine i like that!! iv always done my own work on mine n never had a problm, once yourv done it once its fine n thers always people round to give a heads up tricks or tips, just made me laugh today watched my mate piss around for about 45mins doin a oil change on the primera so SR20DE trying to get to the sump plug n then the filters under hot manifolds lol n my mates ae92 levin with the 4agz is always got problms lol, it shouldnt but it makes me smile when they always givn me crap about the subies

i know in my small town that the amount of subbi rebuilds/headgaskets 2 mitsi the mitsi takes the honours just about every evo in town has had a rebuild or headgasket done or now parked on front lawn rotting away so id say subbi are better ;D

also my brothers ca18det silvia done 304ks when the cambelt shat itself so not 2 bad from a turbo car that he never once cared for

I always get crap from people about subarus. Ive heard we are almost as hated as honda owners ::)

we are the new honda ::):P

I must amit every car i know of weather its BMW ford mitis subaru etc they all can have there probs.

The newer the equipment gets the more complecated it gets which then means more can go wrong.

Of all the people i know of that have owned cars the subaru is the most relible of all.

mind you they arnt being driven hard but used as normal every day transport that never gives trouble.

Oh it's just ignorance and blatent fanboyism. Munter's don't know what they're talking about... Hard to work on? please.... They're one of the easiest out there! Ask any subie mechanic. Unreliable? rotor's win that one hands down.

I don't get the haters, i really don't, "Oh it's not a straight 4 au" Go f*** yaself :D I like being different, and utterly love boxers (I love straight 6's too, but hate I4's).

ReubenH said:

Oh it's just ignorance and blatent fanboyism. Munter's don't know what they're talking about... Hard to work on? please.... They're one of the easiest out there! Ask any subie mechanic. Unreliable? rotor's win that one hands down.

I don't get the haters, i really don't, "Oh it's not a straight 4 au" Go f*** yaself :D I like being different, and utterly love boxers (I love straight 6's too, but hate I4's).

totally agree lol, love being differnt always loved the boxer for its, sound, simplicity, a factory damn near 300hp and my own personal experience of reliability yet people find this hard to believe, but as you say either they plain n simple dont know what ther on about or just real munters behind the wheel! I get alot of "Man thats cool or nice car" but some people just hate subies...and dont want to know any differnt lol

I see some of you guys are just the same as those hating on Subaru's...

I've had two RX7s, one for 6 months(12A), one for 2 years(13B). Both constantly see limiter launches, on the limiter for shits n giggles, and thrashing hard. Never missed a beat. However my Subaru couldn't handle that at all.

Not changing the subject, just letting you know you guys shouldn't jump on the bandwagon.

It's the same as every car. Maintain it, it will go for longer.

to be perfectly honest - im hestitant about recommending a car noob to subaru turbos now, or at least to un-rebuilt ones.

I thought matt/bigpapa was fulla crap when he said "you brought a sti? start saving for a rebuild brother".

The main reason why subarus get ripped for mechanical stuff - to replace the bigend bearings - the entire motor needs to be stripped.

Where with any in-line/vee motor - more often than not -you can drop the crank out the bottom and replace the bearings.

So with a inline eg 3sgte - you can do a quick and nasty replace bearings then sell trick. whereas the subaru pretty much you have to do a proper job, because headgaskets off etc etc etc.

Sudo said:

I see some of you guys are just the same as those hating on Subaru's...

Oh yeah, i won't deny i'm a fan boy at all, this much is blatantly obvious. But, the difference here is, well, for the rotary example, I don't actually hate them, and like hell am i going to make a point of telling the guy with the rotary "uuuh, rotors are gay au" I actually really like some mazda's too, and admire the being different thing :D

The one manufacturer i will "hate on" is honda. Not because of the cars, they car's are great little run abouts. It's the people who drive them i don't like. The punks in civic's with shit body kit's who think they are all that etc. ::)

But it's all stereotypes, the entire carson crew show that a good honda will rape any subaru :P

I dont mean do be sounding like im hating on anything else, I love the Rx-7 would have one in a flash just a bit impractical at the mo, n i dont mind the odd skyline, silvia, evo n that just hate it when people are real in your face "your car is shit but i cant back it up with any reason why" kinda thing lol i guess all im gona go with is as long as you look after anything it in most cases will last through :)

yup i agree

my car should run fine no majors until next cambelt change

change oil using elf 10w40 every 5000k + genuine filters

rebuild done 20k now sti forged + JE pistons & ACL bearings

new clutch at rebuild time

Td05 in mint cond running 15ish psi

link comp should keep from detonation etc :)

I have owned thousands of cars, my first ute I owned, I learnt to drive in it.. I owned 2 evo and a mitz v3000 exec model.. 6 years ago my cousin gave his legacy RS for the week while he headed overseas.. I was gong to get another mitz legium.

Yet his standard 95 RS sold me, I brought my first 97 RSB then the 96 GTB then Impreza.. after all the evos I have driven, there nothing that has come close to driving a Subaru.. they all different, Subaru to me has class of it's own.

I am sold on them.. wish I could afford a STi ver 8-9......... soon maybe..

Diamonds are for girls, yet the wise men followed the stars ........ I'll follow the wise men (ahem and women)

ps .. (I hate wireless mice and keyboards)

I'd have to say, out of the 5 Subaru's I've owned, I've never had any unexpected mechanical issues... My most unreliable car was a Toyota Hilux that had a wonderful tendency to crack cylinder heads every 3 weeks... and I doubt anyone would say that Toyota's are known for being unreliable.

I've found that 90% of the problem is all these munters buying a High Performance Car (STi) / Turbo People Mover (GT-B) and servicing it like you would Grandma's Swift (once every 3 years when they go wig shopping); then wondering why their valve train has seized up from the amount of sludge built up in the bottom of the heads, causing the entire engine to eat itself for lunch (true story; recent customer experience).

Service history is your friend.