Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

GTB BG5 Air Filter > Pod filter upgrade

suspect

Ok,

So I decided to start to get parts sorted for the single turbo conversion on my GTB BG5, looking at upgrading to a podfilter. Now there are rumours about the K&N (RR-3001) that because it's oiled it ruins the AFM, I quesioned this to K&N supplier and was told that it only ruins the AFM as people don't oil them properly and tend to over oil them.

So looking at the RR-3001 as a possibility, what else should I look at performance wise, APEXI vs K&N, vs a HKS? I've also been told that the K&N RR-3001 has a 3" neck and there is little room in a Subaru without relocating the AFM.

Basically i'm just looking for something with decent performance gains and 'bolt on' with adaptor. Without going to the hassle of relocating the whole AFM etc. This is going in a BG5 Legacy.

Any help would be great, i've read through the previous forms but doesn't really give me any evidence to suggest the reasons or even personal experience given the information above.

THanks,

i have a 98 GTB BG5 its still twin turbo i have allways used cheap pods from supercheap or repco but then it was time for oil change so i looked on trademe for some pods as i change the filter every oil change.i found a HKS mushroom style reloaded pod filter brand new for $37 thought fuk thats pretty cheap wasnt sure if it was a imitation version but brought it anyway turned out to be the real deal definitely got more air flow than my other cheap pods i been buying it says 30% more air intake than standard filter on box i will just stick to this 1 from now on.plus i can just but the 3 layer foam for cheap as in stead of replacing the whole pod every time or buying cleaning kits.have a look on trademe im very happy with mine

• 1 month later...

get yourself a decent panel filter and ditch the pod. way cleaner airflow, pods can cause turbulence and flat spots in your acceleration. if you spend time sitting in traffic the pod is sucking in hotter air from your engine bay too unless is properly shielded

• General Member

another vote for factory air box from me

UNLESS due to sace your required to go pod - FMIC piping does tend to get in the way

only then yup K&N do seem to have a good rep

any performance gain is in your head :P

zero filter gains nothing on a dyno

Factory airbox + Cold Air Intake OR if changing to a pod Apexi gets my vote as they are a dry type filter and filter better than the foam types normally. Cant say a few extra HP is worth shortning the life on the engine due to poor filtration

pod filter incrasess the spool sound of the turbo.didn't notice a difference at all apart from that.apexi was rated the best pod filter all round.or get yourself a decent panel filter