Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Weird gear changing issue

Hi,

I have a V5 STI and recently it's started to graunch putting it into gear when it's under load and you're too quick with the changes. It feels notchy and if you're slower it seems happier. It doesn't seem to slip and it stalls correctly when you the clutch test with the hand brake on...also the biting point is quite high. I noticed once when I was sitting for ages with the clutch depressed that the clutch became really heavy for the next few minutes and then sorted itself out again.

Would that be the clutch/pressure plate/gearbox or hydrolics?

Guest 4wdftw

change ya transmission fluid, and also might be time to adjust your clutch and or get a new clutch, PM HOPAI he will hook you up a good price.

loren said:

I'd say change slower and don't ride the clutch.

Not really helpful, especially since I know in total working order you don't have to sit around and wait to change gears

4wdftw said:

change ya transmission fluid, and also might be time to adjust your clutch and or get a new clutch, PM HOPAI he will hook you up a good price.

Will probably change it although it was supposed to have been changed 7000k's ago...was looking at getting a new clutch but with the cost in doing so and since it's not slipping I'd rather be sure before I shell out a lot of coin you know :)

Guest loren
 liviy']

[quote name='loren said:

/quote]

Not really helpful, especially since I know in total working order you don't have to sit around and wait to change gears

I think you'll find both suggestions will be helpful. but if you prefer to be defensive and just throw money at "the problem", go ahead.

liviy']

Errr didn't you just post:

[quote name='liviy said:

Hi,

I have a V5 STI and recently it's started to graunch putting it into gear when it's under load and you're too quick with the changes. It feels notchy and if you're slower it seems happier. It doesn't seem to slip and it stalls correctly when you the clutch test with the hand brake on...also the biting point is quite high. I noticed once when I was sitting for ages with the clutch depressed that the clutch became really heavy for the next few minutes and then sorted itself out again.

Would that be the clutch/pressure plate/gearbox or hydrolics?

Will do, will need to check $ as I'll probably need a heavy duty. Last dyno had her about 190kw n 1000nm...which would probably explain why it's not the happiest

liviy said:

Subbieboy, I don't think I quite follow your point...

You said:

it's started to graunch putting it into gear when it's under load and you're too quick with the changes

Loren said:

You then said:

So my point simply was that Loren gave you advice based on the info you posted then you blast his advice based on that info... ???

I simply was asking why you would question that advice when you yourself said you're too quick with the changes, therefore the best advice based on the information you provided would be to slow down your gear changes...

Oh and its Subieboy (No double b here)

The reason I said his advice wasn't very helpful is because he was suggesting work arounds for the symptoms rather than a root cause for the problem. My car isn't changing gears or running like it used to, I didn't have those issues before and now I do. His response was like me saying my car's left indicator isn't working and his answer is I shouldn't turn left rather than replace the bulb or check the electrics.

I hope that explains my previous statement. Now that it sound like someone knows what the root cause is, I can move on towards having it fixed.

boostcut said:

yep all gud.. il do the clutch for 200

Ok, will get back to you once I've checked my $ and sourced a good clutch.

Any recomendations?

• General Member
 liviy said:
My car isn't changing gears or running like it used to, I didn't have those issues before and now I do.

now you are making sense!

if you said this in first place "they" may have understood a bit betterer

Haha, don't make me slap you boy! :P

Honda! Pffft! LOL this is my third subbie, never owned a Honda and don't plan on starting now hehe

All's good now I guess, now that all the info is out... ;)