Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Cant get an answer to compliance issue with rebodied car

Ok, So have been offered a 2010 Cosworth Impreza that got hit with a forklift while in for it's 5000km service at a garage in Ireland, it stuffed the A and B pillars on passengers side, smashed front, back and both side windows and smashed the carbon fibre roof. so the shell is shagged. I have been offered this vehicle with all paperwork needed to comply in NZ plus a new Cosworth spec body shell straight from Subaru, now this shell has no numbers stamped in it at all so is made to replace a damaged shell.

Now for the issue, the car would be imported into NZ tagged as damaged (can't do anything about that) but no one can seem to give me advice about replacing a body shell on a car, ideally I would just strip out one car, put everything else into the other shell, get the chassis number stamped into the new shell and get it registered but no one can seem to tell me what the legal requirements are.

Help!

did you try going to a place which useually does the importing paperwork or a cert place? useually they would be able to help you :)

Thanks will give them a try tomorrow, I can't believe it would be easier to get it complied if i hack the roof off it and get another one welded on than it is to fix it properly.

• Admin

Should be one badass car once it's done.

The whole compliance thing can be a massive pain in the ass, a lot of it makes no sense, just like a lot of other restrictions/requirements.

(For example you can tint a RAV4 to 0% if it's 4wd but if it's 2wd only 35%...)

Yeah it should be interesting, finally got an answer and have it coming in writing to make everything easier, the car will have to be inspected by LV Certifier, (have to take rebodied car plus old shell) if they say all is good then they will give clearance to register. I can get the chassis number stamped in before i start to assemble shell which is good as this will make fixing the paint where they stamp it easier. There are extra costs of approx $850 but as they only built 75 and now only 71 are know to be left it's a pretty rare car, so...off to the bank today to sort out the money side of things and then it's just waiting until it arrives. - the best thing is that it will be registered as NOT imported as damaged which is always good.

I find it strange that it wont be flagged as imported damaged? It is damaged and being imported and wont be assembled by subaru? cool car though.

Will put the pics up soon, they will be taking the pre export damage pics in the next day or so and will post on here, have only seen images on skype when i was discussing and negotiating on the car. Trying to justfy it to the other and convince her we need one of every really special model subaru, have my target on a genuine 1992 Sti legacy wagon, turbo ej22 quad cam, but unfortunately lhd and a mid engines Sambar van built as a support vehicle for the subaru factory rally team (mid mount ej15 turbo) RWD

Ej22 legacy was Sti?

Dammm wish I knew

Few years back when my uncle ha an accident he was given a 2.2 gt legacy as a curtesy car

I thought it was strange to see a 2.2 gt legacy

LookEd all stock but I thought it Wud just have been a neat as conversion

Pulled better than my 2.0 litre gt of same shape

Anyway even the workshop guy didn't know as he had just bought it

Lol 2.2 Sti gt ay hahahha who Wud have thought

The Cosworth Impreza was on Top Gear last night. Looks like cosworth completely rebuilt everything in it, inc the engine bearings!

Huge amounts of lag by the looks but a very fat car. Clarkson didnt rave about it but he wasnt unkind either (unlike the original impreza - he hates the new ones)

I certainly wouldnt mind the Volve they had on there...the P C P.

Swindog said:

The Cosworth Impreza was on Top Gear last night. Looks like cosworth completely rebuilt everything in it, inc the engine bearings!

Huge amounts of lag by the looks but a very fat car. Clarkson didnt rave about it but he wasnt unkind either (unlike the original impreza - he hates the new ones)

I certainly wouldnt mind the Volve they had on there...the P C P.

Missed that one, The first I heard about it was when i was offered one. then did a little research and found out how uncommon it was. Apparently they cut a lot of corners with the drivetrain and pretty much fitted prodrive gear end to end with some minor tweaks to diff settings and gear ratios. It's on it's way here so will be sitting in my workshop in 6 weeks. (Shipping sucks)

Mate, to me...for the money they were talking vs the Focus RS200 or 500 or whatever (which is front wheel drive and came 2nd last on the leaderboard) i thought it was a pimpin machine.

He was doin mad power slides in it and talking about how nimble it was...its obviously designed to be rung the neck out of with.

Cosworth design intake, turbo, heads, cams, bearings, headstuds, and as you say - drivetrain.

It was only a split second behind the volvo in the drag race (the volvo having 400hp)

smoked them all off the line too. It was a race between the pcp volvo and the rs200 and the subby.

Thankfully It didn't cost me anywhere near what the retailed for, not even close or I wouldn't have even been able to consider it, as it is it will owe me about the same as a nice original V10 Sti by the time I get it legal. And i found out that the car yard was about to send it to a UK Breakers (wreckers) yard and would have sold it for 2000 pounds! wish I could have gotten it for that! But as there was extra work for them with sorting out the export paperwork and stuff i can't really whinge too much.

Just a note of interest, technically they made 77 not 75 as stated, although the two others were specifically built for customers who requested...Autos...ha ha oh well if you want a quick car and can't drive a manual??? who knows, Also they built ken Block about 15 of them on special order but without the Cosworth badging