Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Calling all BE/BH guru's

ReubenH

Hey guys. My dads 98 BH has popped it's engine good and proper, and i don't really want to open that can of worms of "what if it's more than just a head gasket" as it wont even start, smells of burnt, and is basically pissing coolant and steam out the exhaust.

So, I've been looking at replacement engines, and there's 2 options. Old phase 2 206's and 208's, or phase 3 206's and 208's (with the pinks). The old ones are flying out the door quicker than strong can get them, and as a result there's only one left, which only came in last week, and is expensive. But he has about 8 phase 3's, and they are only 2 3rds the price of the old ones. The only thing is they are much higher compression!

So, long block wise, i can easily swap things round in an afternoon, stick the old manifold/injectors/loom on the newer engine... but how do i go about fixing the compression issues?

Can i change to the newer ECU? can we fool the old one? what can we do to fix this compression issue? Can i maybe fix'n'flick it with a new engine (cause it's the cheapest option) and hope for the best?

The other question. VDC. Who knows anything about it, and if it affects wiring for a single conversion. I.e is the loom different? Cause my next option is to just chuck a 205 in, it's not like don't know how to convert a legacy to single :D

I would use the long block and swap everything else over. The later model use a different ECU and things like the AFM, TB etc, are different. As for old ECU having the right map for higher compression, only one way to find out...

What, by wasting $1200 on an engine because it died in the first week from chronic det issues? Nien. We have not the cash to just chuck a phase 3 long block in and just hope it doesn't die. I gotta be sure we can make it work before commiting!

At this stage the best option still sounds like chucking an EJ205 in, but strong have none at the moment, they are all knocking. These damn phase 2 engines are sounding worse than the old master 4's!

Still need to find out for sure if we can make a phase 3 do the trick.

ReubenH said:

The other question. VDC. Who knows anything about it, and if it affects wiring for a single conversion. I.e is the loom different? Cause my next option is to just chuck a 205 in, it's not like don't know how to convert a legacy to single :D

i dunno about VDC, but this option (Single T on a 205) sounds the best to me if it can be done with the VDC , otherwise you are more or less playing with the unknown.

Stick with what you know maybe?? thats my fiddy

not_a_foz replaced a phase 2 with a phase 3 in a fixer-upper B4 (swapped mani's etc), don't remember them having any issues.

Pay to check with him if anything funny was going on before he sold it

edit: i thought compression between the 2 was the same? whats phase 3's compression?

10.5 according to Gerald, which is higher than the phase 2 BH's, according to Gerald. I don't actually know myself, i haven't bothered looking up the numbers. He sells them for a job, and researches in the manuals to cover his arse basically, so i take his word for it. He said that once he saw the 3's were higher compression, he just stopped selling them to phase 2 owners (for liabilities sake i guess).

If he can get a 205 that isn't knocking, i def think i'll go for that. It's cheaper by $200, makes things easier for me (i'd rather solder 8 wires, than install a TT engine) and it could add a bonus to the resale value.

ReubenH said:

10.5 according to Gerald, which is higher than the phase 2 BH's, according to Gerald. I don't actually know myself, i haven't bothered looking up the numbers. He sells them for a job, and researches in the manuals to cover his arse basically, so i take his word for it. He said that once he saw the 3's were higher compression, he just stopped selling them to phase 2 owners (for liabilities sake i guess).

If he can get a 205 that isn't knocking, i def think i'll go for that. It's cheaper by $200, makes things easier for me (i'd rather solder 8 wires, than install a TT engine) and it could add a bonus to the resale value.

good sh1t, pics... you know the drill! ;D