Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

6A12 Mivec - what do you know?

BLSTIC

Objective evidence only. Calling them crap because the are made by the opposition doesn't count.

The reason I want to know about this engine - Making an 'A-grade' speedway car. I need a cheap, powerful engine without forced induction. 150kw seems to be the limit when it comes to the power output of cheap standard cars, and the 6A12 is the smallest engine I can find that will make it. There is also a weight advantage to picking a smaller engine (car is allowed to be lighter).

So, what do you guys know about them? Particularly, how reliable are they when thrashed (it will be living in the region of 5000-8000rpm a lot), and what do people to to them to get more power, without going for forced induction?

Guest 4wdftw

arent mivec engines suited for mirage FWD? id go for a 1600 4age series engine ( like in the mr2 ) toyotas are great and they seem to go hard all day.

iv recently seen a 1600 4age put in a RWD toyota starlet bit of a mission with the dizzy in the firewall but they managed to put a nice beated hole in the firewall and seemed to be ok.

what sort of car are you putting this engine into?

an 'a-grade' speedway car.

Basically a tube frame chassis that will weigh in at about 800kg with me in it. I'll be competing against 1100kg cars with 351's that have about 400hp.

I should have mentioned that the 6A12 is the 2.0 V6 in the FTO's, and I'm talking about the mivec interpretation of it.

Not an issue. Any engine can be made to point north-south and drive the rear wheels. Especially when you are making the car around the engine, not hacking a road car to fit something that really shouldn't be there

Guest boostcut
 BLSTIC said:

Objective evidence only. Calling them crap because the are made by the opposition doesn't count.

The reason I want to know about this engine - Making an 'A-grade' speedway car. I need a cheap, powerful engine without forced induction. 150kw seems to be the limit when it comes to the power output of cheap standard cars, and the 6A12 is the smallest engine I can find that will make it. There is also a weight advantage to picking a smaller engine (car is allowed to be lighter).

So, what do you guys know about them? Particularly, how reliable are they when thrashed (it will be living in the region of 5000-8000rpm a lot), and what do people to to them to get more power, without going for forced induction?

what about a lexus v8 or a nissan 3.5 v6 out of a maxima... ? can get both from wrecker for a bit over a grand...

Unfortunately if 4v engines over 3 litres were allowed I would. Technically the guys running BA Falcon engines are in super sedans until the rules regarding electric throttles, variable cam timing, and four-valve displacement limits are changed.

I was considering running the 3.0 Mivec Diamante (spelling?) 30M engine, but it's too hard to find. Along with the C30 VTEC engines, and pretty much every other decent size highly strung naturally aspirated engine.

Unfortunately the honda's are out. The car has to resemble a production car, drive the right wheels, and have an engine from parent manufacturer with the right cylinders. So unless they made a 4wd/rear drive 4 cylinder honda I can butcher for the body (meaning i also need to find a cheap one), I can't.

Convertible's aren't allowed, even if you make a hard-top, so I can't do something that looks like an S2000 :(

Guest 4wdftw

well the FTO engine is out, they are FWD.. thats a definate.

( who makes a sports car FWD ) GHEY!!!

so looks like its a toyota plant for you my friend.4age or similar would be fine. cant think of any others, how bout sr20de? so im guessin you cant use turbo charged or supercharged either.

how bout ya have a chat to some of the other drivers and see what they are using. ya dont wana have to mess around with making a FWD engine RWD, too much of a hassle.

if it was me id go for a 4AGE, great engine and very reliable.

or... be different and use a ej22 n/a make it RWD. :)

A grade Saloon. I got told to use the standard saloon engine rulebook. Hence the not 4v engines over 3 litres, and all the rest of it.

And no, the FTO engine is not out. All I need to run it in rwd configuration is to use it in a car that came with a mitsubishi v6 that drove the back wheels. Galants came V6 and AWD, as did GTO's, some Diamante's, and there was even a 6 cylinder lancer, although I don't think it was AWD.

The reason I can't run the VTEC four cylinders is that I don't think any honda's came out front engine, rear drive (or AWD), and with a permanant roof. For some reason convertibles aren't allowed even if you make a roof.

A VTEC 6 could be done in an accord (I think they made AWD V6's), but the issue is finding a late model accord, and a VTEC V6...

Guest STiEVO

i am sorry you are not getting the answers you were hoping for . however an old forum member had a 1600 mivec lancer (before he got rear ended by a truck) he use to rape the shit out of it and it went really well. it took the revs like good girl should and it almost felt like a turbo car (TDO4) or smaller . it made me go funny in the fork the same way a turbo car does . so conclusion from me would be if it will work for you and it meets the requirements then do it. besides they are fairly cheap as my bro sold the entire car for 1000$ bucks. oh yeah he had a few mods like intake 'nd some sort of it air/fuel adjustmnt thingy

6A12TT's out of 92-94'ish Galant VR4's (The nice shaped one) are pretty solid and 4WD (not AWD), I have a cousin who owns one, has driven it for 50,000k's without servicing (not even an oil change) and thrashes it every day and it still goes strong... aside from minor lifter noise, but nothing compared to a well maintained EJ motor!.

On a side note, I'm doing a 6A12 to 6A13 conversion in a mate of mines 94 Galant VR4, the 6A13 is one of the nicest engines i've ever worked on... They have pretty solid internal componentry too, the crankshaft and rods are probably about 1.5 times bigger than EJ25 stuff... The only major internal difference between the motors is the 13 is bored and stroked more than the 12, so different sized pistons and longer rods, side by side everything else is pretty much the same.... The biggest hurdle is rotating the intake manifold around because it mounts 180deg differently between the two cars!... Nothing an adapter plate isint fixing though :)

Have to agree with 4wdftw....getting a 4age in there is gonna make you very competitive and the fwd thing is very handy for huggin the inside of the track especially when its wet.

I was gonna put one of these engines into a 93 corolla sedan and race as well but back then the engines were going for $1000 plus so i left it, then i had to move house so the body went to the wreckers....duoh...

Will get it(my dream) going one day and look forward to racing whatever you put on. ;D

Guest STiEVO
 G-unit said:

kind of random but honda did make a 4wd vtec civic,92-94 shape not many tho there was 1 on trade me tho

and the wagon orthia or orthello or sumthing