Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Rev matching on the downshift

suubyduuby

Just wondering how many of you actually rev match on the down shift?

ie. blipping the throttle while downshifting so that the car doesn't lurch when the lower gear is selected?

Been reading a lot about heel/toe and watching it done, was just wondering how many people actually use this in their daily driving?

Have started to practise it while out and about, and it does make the downshift a lot nicer and smoother - supposed to have positive effects on reducing drivetrain/synchro wear.

Whats your ideas on this?

Your syncro wear will be the same unless you "double de clutch" which is a waste of time

Syncro wear is minimal on a well maintained and well operated gearbox anyway

I'd suggest to stop the "lurch" you mention is to be a little more gentle with the clutch operation

double de clutching on a syncro box actually wears the syncros more(they have to slow/speed up gears twice)

and I know i do this all the time

a few years driving trucks with crash boxes and it is now a bloody hard habit to get out of....

Ichi Ban said:

I'd suggest to stop the "lurch" you mention is to be a little more gentle with the clutch operation

And use the brakes more.

Someone famous once told me "...gears to go, brakes to stop...".

Heel and toe still has it's uses though, mainly in open road driving, around town all it does it use up more fuel and attract attention when you get it wrong.

:P

For those who are not physically agile enough to heel and toe:

Buy a car with a fancy robotised manual or sophisticated auto that blips the throttle by itself on the downshift;

Or for those who like manuals, buy a new Nissan 370Z which has an electronic gizmo called Syncro Rev Match that does the blipping for you.

;D

rev matching on the all shifts is a habit with me, driving crash/road ranger boxs on trucks all day kind of rubs off on ya after years of truck driving, i even drive my wrx with out the clutch and not notice it until some one says "hey don't you use your clutch hehe".

Try driving a road ranger with out rev, speed, gear selection matching........its a bitch lol oh and all is done without the use of the clutch which is easier beleive it or not.

Ichi Ban said:

Your syncro wear will be the same unless you "double de clutch" which is a waste of time

Syncro wear is minimal on a well maintained and well operated gearbox anyway

So I thought. ;)

Have been driving manual for ages anyway and have never done rev-matching in normal day to day driving. Quite a few non-car people have thought my Leggy was an auto when they were sitting in the back as passenger . ;D ;D

I must admit, I do like heel/toe downshifting - good for open-road driving and cornering, but around town...

Heel and toe still has it's uses though, mainly in open road driving, around town all it does it use up more fuel and attract attention when you get it wrong.

Yep, your right.

How do you guys drive manual though? I always try to downshift when stopping ie. 4-3-2 or 4-2 depending on how fast I am stopping etc I know a lot of people simply dump it into neutral and then back into 1st when pulling off - don't like this :(

I always always downshift(but then i drive buses and use the exhaust brake to slow me)

couple of thoughts but here are mine

it uses engine braking to help slow the vehicle so it assists the brakes....

if something happens that is required to accelerate out of u are at least in a gear :)

and it sounds farken nice heheheheh