Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Gull Bio Fuel

kiwisurf

I know its been mentioned in past threads but its pretty hard to get a solid answer.

Subaru says no way...but then as someone else mentioned they would say that.

I ran it in my 93 WRX for years and had no probs....found it to be fantastic with more power and milage. Plus its a sh*t load cheaper and not "BP" fuel which i wont buy!

Now i have changed to a 02 GTB which is a quite a bit more complicated and the last thing i want to do is kill it after just buying it.

Has anyone had a failure caused by it or been using it anyway and had no issues?

http://www.subaru.co.nz/Technical_Lab/Biofuel.php

They're worried about seals, fuel lines, fuel pump, fuel reg on Japanese used imports cause the NZ new cars ever since 1990 got special rubber stuff that was different to all the other cars coming out of the factory and was intended for a fuel that wouldn't come to the market for another 18-20 years ::)

Same stories came out when we switched to unleaded. News reports of perished fuel lines and cars catching fire all over the show. But only the imported ones.........buy NZ new! Keep your country in business!

haha I'll turn the sarcasm button back up to 11 on my keyboard now. Had been turned down a notch or two for a second there.

Pretty much I personally believe that it is a ploy to get people to buy NZ new vehicles. I wonder if there is anything on Subaru's Japanese website about the use of biofuel over there? If they have it at all.

I also don't see how the cars destined for our market can possibly be using a whole different grade of rubber products compared to those destined for the home market in Japan. At a guess (and yes I am only guessing here) it wouldn't make economic sense when manufacturing.

Excuse my miss reading of your Sarcasim...bit like Sheldon Cooper!!

Yeah totally...i did my apprentiship many moons ago on mazdas...and there were no different parts in most cases between NZ and Jap imports...you just see more weird sh*t that did not come out in NZ.

So the $20000 dollar questions is.....Do you run it???

Well on the $20000 question, I run it whenever I have my car up north, or there is an unused barrel of it in the workshop that the rallycar isn't going to use (doesn't happen but I can dream of the day.....)

I would also be on E85 from Gull in Hamiltron like white on rice if I was unfortunate enough to live there. Might get a barrel sent down at some stage if I ever get my toy running again.

But I happen to live in ChCh where we get 98 from BP and thats it. If Gull made it down here I'd be waiting at the gate for opening day with both my Suby's.

Nothing unfortunate about living in Hamilton ;-)... and that new Gull is the closest station to my house thats not BP.

Hmm...Im overseas but the missus has a tank of it in at the moment so will have a look when i get home.

Cheers.

Just to clarify a couple of things, firstly, I wouldn't just run the E85 without sorting the tune to suit though! E10 I'm fine with but E85 is changing the game a bit much unless you can tweak the fuel ratios (and timing) and use it to make more power and secondly, every night I've spent out on the town in the Tron has been great fun and highly eventful ;D Even managed to avoid having to rub a cream onto things for weeks afterwards......

Koom said:

every night I've spent out on the town in the Tron has been great fun and highly eventful ;D Even managed to avoid having to rub a cream onto things for weeks afterwards......

you dodged a bullet there...!

yeah they have been talking about this on the honda site. Looking at some of the gains in turbo cars is very promising with One car it had a 100kw gain on a already maxed set up due to the colder temps with running corn :P. On the net it seems that gains are really only going to come from proper tuning. Apparently you loose around 30% efficiency (some american suv's). I like the look of the fuel it just needs the tweaks worked out, and maybe a tune ;D

im no expert ill just regurgitate what ive heard :P

Ben

E85 will use more gas then regualr pump gas when tuned, as to get the desired air fuel ratio it requires approx 30% more fuel on WOT and on boost.

You can run E85 much leaner AF wise then pump gas due to the fact the engine has more resistance to miss fire.

its got meny other handy things such as keeping the engine much cooler too.

E85 is wonderful stuff. We use it all the time. Push stock engines to crazy numbers with good reliability.

Stock $500 non turbo RB25DE with a turbo strapped on and 18psi.. 360kw all drift season long.

stock FC20C with a turbo strapped to it and 14psi 350kw with no knock.

Stock $200 SR20DE non turbo with a turbo on the side, 18psi 300kw all drift season long. Just wouldn't die even when we tried to kill it.

as well as meny others.

I can't wait till they have E85 on the pump down in wellington considering its the same price as 98. so it would be a fair bit cheeper then the E85 we currently use.. though the stuff we use is extremely consistant where as the gull stuff is rated at 75-85% ethernol

GETLOW said:

E85 is wonderful stuff. We use it all the time. Push stock engines to crazy numbers with good reliability.

Stock $500 non turbo RB25DE with a turbo strapped on and 18psi.. 360kw all drift season long.

stock FC20C with a turbo strapped to it and 14psi 350kw with no knock.

Stock $200 SR20DE non turbo with a turbo on the side, 18psi 300kw all drift season long. Just wouldn't die even when we tried to kill it.

as well as meny others.

Thats impressive. What work was done to the motors?

isnt it only 97.8% octane.not quire 98.

im sure the cars are tuned in japan to 100%octane.probly best to run as close as that as you can ;)

maserati mick said:

mate i just filled tank 116.00 98 octane @ gull and car seem's to be sweet

yea man thats wot use aye and its mint in my car too

sti8u said:

isnt it only 97.8% octane.not quire 98.

im sure the cars are tuned in japan to 100%octane.probly best to run as close as that as you can ;)

It wont be bang on 98 just like 95 and 91 arent always bang on they will have some margin of either side itl be man

Koom said:

every night I've spent out on the town in the Tron has been great fun and highly eventful ;D Even managed to avoid having to rub a cream onto things for weeks afterwards......

ahahah seen this with my own 2 eyes, suprised you didnt catch anything ;) hahaha

My wrx runs real well on mobil 8000 which is 98 octane and e10, pulls noticably harder. It would however use a little bit more gas. Dont like bp 98 i have had shell 95 in my tank, fulled up with bp 98, and noticed that the car was getting a little knock and pulling timing >:(

same.i tried shell 95 once and it wasnt very good.made the car feel really slugish.98bp is fine,no det or knock.

I'm unfortunate enough to live in Hamilton, if there's a bonus to that then I'm keen to find out.. I'm reading the consensus from this thread is that there should be no issues with me sticking E85 in my 2002 GTB?

WRXONP said:

you need a full re tune + larger injectors and fuel pump to run e85 safely...i think you mean e10 (gull bio fuel?)

^^ as he said. E10 should be fine.

To do E85 you need to do more than just fill the tank and drive away.