Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

91 legacy power windows Grrr (fault found)

soopersubaru

Cannot get any windows to work at all. up or down

Even with the key/ power off the power window timer circuit located under the passenger seat is continually cycling.

The only way to stop it is to disconnect the battery.

Leading up to this event the passenger front window could only be driven up from the drivers panel.

I have replaced the relay unit,,, Still the same,,,I have tested each window switch as ok (four) and have even used another driver control.(all of which I ??? know to be ok)

No fuses have been blown.

Any wiring diagrams around or does someone know what the **** is going on?

I'm lost!!! Each window motor also works ok.

Any advice at all would be good..... Thanks

My next stop would be checking the wires that run through from the door to sill and check for loose connections or exposed wire and check the plugs and pins inside them.

Start with the passenger side where it started. The window control unit should switch off ( you should hear it click) after about 1 minute after turning the car off so I think something is shorting out enough to cause it to stay going but not blow a fuse.

Try this

after turning the car on and off can you hear the control unit humming?

does it make a different noise when you push 1 of the window buttons?

If you can hear it I would pull window window switches one at a time until it changes or stops then you can trace the wire and hopefully find the fault.

under pass seat??

the thermal cut out is on the drivers upper kick panel from memory

(two wire conector in a white plug? )

666SubSpeed said:
going but not blow a fuse.

Try this

after turning the car on and off can you hear the control unit humming?

does it make a different noise when you push 1 of the window buttons?

If you can hear it I would pull window window switches one at a time until it changes or stops then you can trace the wire and hopefully find the fault.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Further:-With all door switches unplugged, when you re connect the battery the unit under the pass seat (power window timer) immediately goes into a cycle of hard style clicking.

No difference on whether the switches are connected or not.

When the key is turned on (acc or Ign) the click becomes a laboured buzz style click. more than likely due to the voltage drop, when the engine is started the hard style click returns. (hope this makes sense)

The same with the doors unplugged from car.

Agree that it is probably a short circuit some where??? WHERE!!!! Grrr!

Ichi Ban said:

under pass seat??

the thermal cut out is on the drivers upper kick panel from memory

(two wire conector in a white plug? )

Found:- Two wire plug with loom num 81213AA043 Live Blk/Wht with Earth Black (female con)

Connected to loom 85521AA120.(Male Con)Also with plug that goes back to window control Drivers side.

When disconnected relay cycling stops.

Where does this loom go? Under the carpet across to the relay system i suspect. Great!

Electric seat does not work now either. ie when this plug disconnected so its power to that too!

Would like too see where this loom goes! gettin closer!!!

Can anyone provide a schematic drawing of loom 85521AA120 ?

Or is it a case of simply removin the carpet? OH ya!

the two pin lug is the thermal cut out/ overload for seats and windows - as I recall

First thing that jumps to mind - have you got an extinguisher or amp bolted/screwed thru the floor?

Seen heaps of cars with diff wiring issues caused by this

Ichi Ban said:

the two pin lug is the thermal cut out/ overload for seats and windows - as I recall

First thing that jumps to mind - have you got an extinguisher or amp bolted/screwed thru the floor?

Seen heaps of cars with diff wiring issues caused by this

Have Extinguisher fitted, No not screwed through the wiring.

That two pin plug wire (8521AA043) goes up into the loom that passes into the drivers front guard. Dunno where it goes from there.

Its the relay under the pass seat (N0) that is clicking/buzzing.

If connected the seat wont go.

With the relay disconnected Seat works ok. There are no faults to earth on the loom (85521AA120) that crosses the car, or any of the doors an switches.

Has to be simple!

Cant find that thermal o/load you are going on about. What does it look like?

Do understand that it could be something like that causing the issue.

JoKer said:

tl:dr but how are the mechanics?

disable the mechanism and see how the windows slide?

outside thinking may already have been mentioned

All windows can be moved by directly powering the motor, no problems whatsoever there.

Mechanically no worries.

Thanks though!

I think it could be two wires crossing over in that loom somewhere as I think the 2 looms (windows and power seat) come together somewhere under the carpet.

have you pulled up the carpet ? that would give you a heap better access and there could be blatant as scorch marks or something hiding under there.

See how many plugs are on the loom from control to seat and window control and see if you can get to all of them.

If you can go to pick a part / wreckers and replace the whole loom with another as shorts and x overs are a bastard to find without the expensive equipment and know how to use them accurately.

Best of luck man

I think it could be two wires crossing over in that loom somewhere as I think the 2 looms (windows and power seat) come together somewhere under the carpet.

Had the loom (85521AA120) partially exposed yesterday. by lifting the carpet on each side with seats and centre consul removed, inspecting the loom and areas it travels around/ across etc. No earth faults or obvious signs.

And having moved it around one would expect the fault to become intermittent or cease whilst moving it,,, This did not happen, so i reckon the loom should be ok.

Hear what you are saying regarding a crossover, Would be easy to find if i could get a schematic drawing.

Have the test equip and ability to locate. But without a drawing its impossible to know what crosses over and what should not.

Not an easy task to lift the carpet either. Might go to pick a part and pull out a loom to see if i can find a likely trouble spot. Or create a drawing from.

Thanks for your input!!

Mate said wind up windows will sort it out!! Its Tempting!!

FOUND IT!!

Loom 85521AA120 with a crossed wire fault!!

Where this loom transits over from front to rear on the passenger side, I suspect the map drawer fitted to seat has, over time, with weight in the seat created enough load in this area, that eventually this fault occurred.

Just 3 thin wires for front left window switch transit this area.

Found by leaving the relay doing its thing and using an infra red thermometer, located the Hot spot under the plastic cover.

Front window now works both ways too, Guess i should have looked at this 2 years ago when it stopped going up locally. Wasn't the switch after all.

Hope this string can help another person to solve a similar issue!!