Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Legacy 3.0R

thorns

While looking at Blitzens over the weekend, we came across a Legacy 3.0R which was nicely specced. Full leather interior, heated seats, and the 3.0l motor. After driving it, it felt so much nicer than the twin turbo, maybe its old age kicking in, but it was very nice and smooth, while still having a decent punch in power when needed, am I correct in thinking these are the 240hp models?

The price was good, however the only concern was that it had 135kms on the clock, if the car checks out mechanically, would these kms for a 2003 wagon be much of a deterrent to people? I see many Legacys with higher kms around, so am guessing they last pretty well, but still the only niggly concern in my mind. Body/paint, interior, and engine bay look immaculate, and hard to fault, its hard to believe it has done taht many kms, have seen cars with half the kms look 10 times worse.

From searching on here the only thing taht seemed to pop up was they are a bit thirsty, and maybe have a oil consumption problem (although the oil issue doesnt seem to be every model??)

Are there any other issues that may be worth considering?

Also, it has the inbuilt navigation system and data display which is in Japanese, and teh Nav doesnt work. Is it possible to go to Subaru and get a NZ version of the software installed?

Thanks

thorns said:

While looking at Blitzens over the weekend, we came across a Legacy 3.0R which was nicely specced. Full leather interior, heated seats, and the 3.0l motor. After driving it, it felt so much nicer than the twin turbo, maybe its old age kicking in, but it was very nice and smooth, while still having a decent punch in power when needed, am I correct in thinking these are the 240hp models?

The price was good, however the only concern was that it had 135kms on the clock, if the car checks out mechanically, would these kms for a 2003 wagon be much of a deterrent to people? I see many Legacys with higher kms around, so am guessing they last pretty well, but still the only niggly concern in my mind. Body/paint, interior, and engine bay look immaculate, and hard to fault, its hard to believe it has done taht many kms, have seen cars with half the kms look 10 times worse.

From searching on here the only thing taht seemed to pop up was they are a bit thirsty, and maybe have a oil consumption problem (although the oil issue doesnt seem to be every model??)

Also, it has the inbuilt navigation system and data display which is in Japanese, and teh Nav doesnt work. Is it possible to go to Subaru and get a NZ version of the software installed?

Thanks

RE- Sat nav - No is the quick answer

Only 2.5l NA's had oil burn issues (and only some of them)

Yes 3.0l can be thristy, so can any car. But in general is pretty dam good

I urge you to drive a turbo version of this model - they are single turbo and drive bloody well

No comparision to the old twin turbos - none at all

Thanks, will take a turbo for a drive as well.

Do the GT's and the GTB's have a different power output like the previous twin turbo models?

There's a GT (2003) and GTB (2004) for sale for similair price as the 3.0R, and both around 110kms locally, so will have a look at those as well.

Also, anyone have any real world fuel consumption figures out of interest? Not expecting fantastic figures, but be nice to know. Probably travelling around 250km a week, 50% of that open road driving.

heya - we have an 3.0r outback, nz but the same tan leather spec as that.

the tan is hard to keep clean fwiw.

fuel wise i can manage about 10km / L when tripping, its down around 8km / L in town. when towing the car trailer + race car its about 6km / l. so while its a tad hungry its not ludicrous.

also worth noting the ez30r is chain driven so no cam belt change @ 100km, only 200km

I love how torquey they are, and lazy / unworked they feel round town coupled with their desire to rev when you make them. Definately get the tiptronic over the plain auto given the chance. The 6speed manual i didnt like at all. Cruise control Tiptronic is where its at.

FWIW do test drive the 2.0T, they are actually more fuel efficient than the 3.0 and more powerful, I only went with the 6 for the torque and so i can tow the race car with it. otherwise i would have gone the turbo model.

a workmate recently wanted a new car and ended up with a 2004 gt model

driven it a fair few times and i must say the turbo is nice and smoth and there is not much to fault it with

defenetly drive the turbo model and u will love it

afaik the gtb has better wheels and trim package and better suspension

power was supposed to be same i been told but have also been told the gtb had 206kw as opposed to the 190 for gt.. i dunno which one is tru but wud personally go for the gtb if price ws same

funkytown']

[quote name='pappu said:

power was supposed to be same i been told but have also been told the gtb had 206kw as opposed to the 190 for gt

/quote]

no not from my reading, they top ones are 190kw, GT and GT B spec,

B Spec is a trim upgrade afaik

i been told both things - that they same and some said it was 190/206kw

i think they the same cos my mates gt and a gtb i test drove felt similar in go department..

anyway - bloody good cars they are ;D

Cheers guys, am taking a GT for a drive after work, and then 3.0R home overnight to give it a real good going over.

I do love the effortlesness of the torquey 3.0R, and of course the leather interior, but could be tempted by the turbo if it is a bit cheaper to run, but similar in the power department, and also comfrotable as well.

Well driving the turbo GT has really complicated things. Both are very nice cars and drive nicely, we cant decide to be honest. The 3.0 is so smooth to drive, but then the turbo is more fun and brings out the inner hoon to an extent haha. Its almost coming down to the debate of either, a more luxury car with higher k's, or a lower spec (no leather, cruise, traction etc), and 100ks on the clock.

But yeah, both have plusses and minuses, and both would suit us perfectly I think, both same price and colour, and both hard to fault in the exterior and interior.

Doing my head in to say the least. The perfect combo would be a leather GT with low ks and the same price ;D

funkytown']

[quote name='pappu said:

power was supposed to be same i been told but have also been told the gtb had 206kw as opposed to the 190 for gt

/quote]

no not from my reading, they top ones are 190kw, GT and GT B spec,

B Spec is a trim upgrade afaik

Don't forget the Bilsteins!

I went through the same dilemma just a few months ago, had my heart set on a 2004+ Spec B turbo wagon, really liked the way they drive and go, but after summing up all the pluses minuses I thought the best chance of getting a nice reliable cruiser (which is what you mostly use it for anyway imho) that shouldn't give too much mechanical dramas for years, was to go with the 3.0r, and I'm so glad I did, The only bonus I can see for the turbo is a small acceleration advantage, but the 3.0 is certainly no slouch, and the torque is brilliant for everyday driving. Fairly thirsty around town, but you have to expect that from a large car with large engine, but easily makes up for it when you get on the highway as i easily get over 10km+ per L not even trying.

And oh yeah as above make sure it has the yellow Bilstein shocks they make a really good handling wagon, into a brilliant sporty one. (be sure to check out the service costs on a turbo around 100kms too, it was one of the deciding factors for me)

2c

Well got the car checked out at Stubaru, pretty much couldn't fault it apart from the display on the radio wasnt working, which is being fixed at the moment. Said the kms really shouldnt deter us as the condition of the car didnt show it, seems as though its been pretty well looked after by its Japanese owner. If we can get it for the right price, I think we will buy it. :)

A bit further down the track, I may look for some nice BBS or similar wheels for it. If i went for 18s, would the car look like a SUV without lowering springs in it? If I did get lowering springs to go with it, are there any that wouldnt change the ride quality too much?

• 1 month later...
 thorns said:

Thanks

Hi, I've posted about the screen before, but here are some youtube of my screen

I pulled out the Japanese screen it came with and bought a GPS unit off trademe and had it installed, in place of the Jap one, in my 3.0R.

The Turbo does have more grunt and the 3.0R is just as thirsty, but I couldn't find a comparable turbo of the same year, 2006 model, at the time I bought my 3.0R in July '10.