Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

manual boost control install

maserati mick

Hey guys i bought a cheapo manual boost tee from scarles today and im wanting to install it on my fory im runing an ewg with a 10 psi spring and was just wondering what goes where?also runing a boost controller would my lowest boost be 10 psi because of the spring?leaving me with adjustable boost 10psi upwards im wanting to adjust it right before factory cut out 14psi cheers

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You want it sitting inline the hose that goes in between the front of the turbo housing and the wastegate, where it is currently T'd off to the boost solenoid. If you inspect it visually it's quite a simple setup.

The 10 psi spring means that the wastegate will (theoretically) not open until 10psi, so yes I believe.

im running an internal gate, mbc was a bit weird. if its an in cabin one, the plumb back hose was too restrictive, so its venting into the cabin. bit noisy thats all. on different loads my boost changes, fully loaded i have to turn it right down and i still sometimes hit cut. same with cold weather / going up the mountain.

alright round town if its just 1 or 2 people in the car. mind you, i hold it at 14psi, boost cut is just under 15psi, so im running it quite fine.

looking forward to getting my ebc installed and set up properly. should make a massive difference. if i were you, i'd be looking to get hold of an electronic controller asap.

oh, your hoses to the wastegate from the t need to be the same length with an ebc, so you may as well make sure they are when you put in the manual one.

thats from, on the picture, the "normal vacuum tee" to the wastegate, both the direct line and the regulated line.

Its a turbosmart copy the cheapo 30$ one lol if the milk is sour ill just ditch it for a 14psi spring. What kinda ebc you heading for id love one just a tightarse at the moment but yeah they are the way to go better boost response and better holding boost and more accurate etc you looking at turbo upgrade yet?theres a cheap vf29 going at the mo in parts section

yeah, im looking at a 29 0r a 30. iv just got a greddy profec b spec 2, no $$$ for the turbo upgrade as of yet. might look at a wastegate plumbed back, don't know what i want to do yet aye.

you can pick them up second hand fairly cheep around trademe... mine was 160, seen the same thing go for over 400... luck of the draw really.

a hose runs off your compressor housing to the bottom port of your gate . first of all since you have external get that tee with the arrow and open it and remove the ball and spring . . with external you will spike bad . . . cut the hose going to the gate and put the tee there . . then off the tee try keep it as short as possible and plumb it to the tap . . doesn't matter which way you plumb those taps as it bleeds out the other port . . and your done . do a run with it wound right down and turn it up from there . its not going to have consistent boost controll . . ebc is the way to go

not sure how the manual valve setup with tee will work

that just looks like a wg spring pressure controll...???

of the many i have seen - basically the boost tap goes inline from the turbo nipple and strait to the bottom port with the top port left open

thats how manual ones are set

and u adjust the tap to14psi

note the tap maybe directional so the arrow points from turbo TO wg..

thats how i have seen on lots other cars anyway....

only the ebc uses both ports .......

i've got a j2 ecu, ill be putting it in then doing a run on a dyno to check for a/f and det, will post how it goes.

im keeping the boost lower than standard on the j2, as its an sti ecu, as you all know, and therefore runs higher stock boost levels etc.

assuming my thought process is right, the maf will see the amount of air going in and fuel to suit...

but, as its my daily driver, and i have NO $$$ at all to fix it, im being, a little cautious.

once i get some coin behind me, all bets are off hehehe

True there not very tuneable are they ?wud just be a waste if money then getting it dyno'd for it to have a negative result another cs user jason v6 had det with his sti ecu on phase 2 fory and ditched it for factory ecu if it was a straight plug and play and had no issues i wouldve been sti ecu'd ages ago

the only thing you can tune on a dyno is a link .a standard ecu you can't fudge with any thing unless its ver 7 +. . . you can try a fuel cut defenDer but very dodgey in my opinion . . as it clamps the map out put just under the cut so your ecu will think your only running 13 Pound when your on 16 Pound which will cause you to run lean . . .

erm... v5 and v6 can be ecutek'd. its about 1200 - 1500, only place im aware of that can do the newer jecs ecu's is in hawkes bay somewhere. info is on the ecutek main website.

you can't do it open source, which is MUCH cheaper.

difference between forie and sti engines, only things i can think of is the forged bottom end, and different heads / cams.

reason for det would be higher compression ratio than the sti, and the cam lift and duration is shorter than the sti. in theory (im guessing here, dont shoot me) if you changed for v6 sti heads / cams and piston heads, you'd be all good. but, if you went that far, may as well just bung in a v6 engine anyways.

fuel cut defender... dodgy.... very dodgy...

fuel cut is 14.97 psi... just under 1 bar.... (i've hit it a few times) or there abouts.

in my opinion, 14psi is enough for a decent bit of fun...

if i can do an ecu swap on the dyno (god i wish) i could let you know how it goes.