Flying leads refers to no plugs

Photo:

th_2009_0613.jpg

hmm bit grubby in behind strut tower!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really? Its almost what its been designed for :P Add crank angle sensor (often can re-use points, lock down advance), has single coil driver on it, just use dizzy to distribute spark, you set advance curve.

Or remove dizzy completely, and run coil on plug/wasted spark.

Guest lan_killa

what motor does it have?

OHC or OHV, old pommy motors arent particuarly good revvers unless modified (ie 998cc A Series as seen in Minis factory posted redline 5250rpm, valve bounce at 5500rpm... 1275cc A Series, posted redline 5500rpm, valve bounce 5700rpm(Note: A Series indicates 4 Cylinder OHV (Pushrod) non-crossflow motor))

i have an "A" series 998 in my '56 morris minor and it valve bounces very easy.

I wonder what the redline of me EA81 will be :)

am watching wot joker does as an electronic ignition ma find its way into the brumby....

Guest lan_killa

AFAIK the EA motors got around 30 different dizzys, some points, some electronic... which makes is a right PITA trying to get the correct bits at times, but you maybe able to find an electronic one that wil bolt in

The EA71 I had in the leone had a posted redline of 5000ish from memory, but would rev to 7000ish before valve bounce, just getting there was difficult at torque peaked at 2800rpm and HP peaked at 4800rpm... EA81 has the same power peaks btw

Guest lan_killa

ok... but who on earth would work an EA donk? well in the last 10 years atleast... I guess a more aggressive cam would make a big change to it though as they seem to be pretty tame motors

• General Member
 log1call said:

Ha, don't think I'd trust that HEI unit! It has a fixed spark duration.... of point-nine of a second, you aren't going to get too many revs out of that thing!

was this re: the coil driver or the HEI or both?

It was written in the advertising blurb a few pages back Joker. It won't be right because at that rate, it would only run a single cylinder at about thirty revs per minute before there was backfiring out the inlet manifold... That is, if it was possible for an ignition coil to have a spark any longer than the time it takes for the magnetic field to collapse in the coil.

The point being really though, the guys that made it either don't know what they are talking about, or they are bull****ters. Either way, I'd doubt any of their claims and look for a reputable brand.

I think I saw you asking about the best way of getting around your problem somewhere else? The advise was to overhaul an old distributor, they were lucas and common as. With good bushes, points and condenser it will do all the revs you need.

Get an old one off a wreck. As long as the vacuum diaphram is good you will only need to fit bronze bushes, which are about six bucks each max, tighten up the springs if where they fit onto the weights or anchor points are worn, and then you adjust the diaphrams advance with the built in arrangement if nessecary to fine tune it for the revs/power band etc.

• General Member

yea - trying to get away from mechanical - you can say I told ya so when it fails :P I'm the kind of guy who has to test these things just to see - wet paint etc...

You lot a a bunch of tutus(play-abouts) aren't you?

I'm a mechanic and I reckon Subaru do a pretty good job of designing their cars. Every single in the car is a compromise, a very fine compromise which they have spent years perfecting. Change one thing and you have to make another compromise elsewhere, often to the detriment of usability, reliability, durability.

I haven't found jaycars stuff too good either to tell the truth.

Yeah well with the dissy, you are still going to need one to distribute the spark anyway, and one with good bushes at that. Easy to fit a transistorised ignition still using the points, or modify the baseplate and fit a hall or optical transducer if needed later.

That air/fuel thing... You do know that because subarus have long manifolds they use the change rate of the throttle position sensor to be factored in to the the fuel/timing maps to prevent flat-spots etc?

I bet that box buggers that up.