Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Boost gauge installed.. bad readings?

Flunk

So, followed the advice of a couple people on here, and tee'd the boost guage off the line between manifold & BOV.

Since doing so, the BOV feels sluggish, like its struggling to open.

Its reading -20 to -21 inHG at idle.

Peaking at around 7 to 9 PSI with foot on the floor, Never hit or gone over 10psi.

So i guess there are three scenarios.

Faulty Gauge.

I cocked up the install.

Turbos stuffed?

Any ideas or opinions?

funkytown said:

the idle sounds right and it sounds like your car wil be in limp mode mate, or just wastegate pressure

Any other wa i can confirm this theory?

I have had CEL on the last few days, however i have diagnosed and fixed that problem, CEL no longer on and no codes.

is that even with boosting till redline/near redline?

after having a proper look the other day, i am getting around 7 or 8 on primary & 11- 12 when in parallel

that's on a Prosport gauge, tee'd in on the same line as yours is, just before BOV - BOV opens fine, Gauge seems to read fine and also reads -20/-21 inHG at idle

not sure that there is a restrictor in my tee piece though, its just a little white T

What kind of gauge you using? & what BOV you got ?

probably irrelevant but i have seen the boost gauge vac line melt from being too close to the up-pipe

i've also noticed the very poor quality of some plastic T's included with cheap gauges. check the inside of the T is formed properly, and while its out join the old pipes back together as factory and see if your BOV works again as normal

Thanks for the info, And yeah I took it up to about 7k after I put it in.

Its one of those el cheapo Autogauge ones from repco.

Might be an idea to try a T without the restrictor i suppose..

The car feels ok to me, thats why I assumed it would be a gauge related problem, but I could more than likely be wrong.

EDIT: And my BOV is also an El Cheapo from supercheap :-\

yeah, could be restricting how much flow your getting through the vac line past the restrictor? causing low readings & piss all getting to the BOV, worth finding a replacement to try, surely only a couple of bucks

Also is your BOV full atmo venting? as i've heard this can play with the fuelling? on twins ( someone feel free to correct me if im wrong), i picked up a 2nd GFB hybrid off Trademe pretty cheap, i have it 50/50 plumback/atmo, all i needed extra was a bit of extra vac hose, the 20mm adaptors from GFB, a couple of hose clamps & a piece of hose ( got one of factory IC from wreckers, piece between IC & factory BOV & cut a piece off it to suit)

im by no means an expert, just going off my experiences with my car so far & from what ive read on this forum

not all BOV's have the option to have 50/50 afaik, but these seem to work pretty well on TT's, they are still pretty pricey brand new but if you can pick one up second hand your away & laughing, i would certainly test the T piece first. The BOV is a Go Fast Bits: Hybrid

this is my set-up, standard IC piping to inlet on bottom of BOV, short piece I cut from another of the same hose used for the plumback side (I did have to get a splice Joiner for where the hose i put in meets the plumback pipe (I have a spare if you end up going down this road), but still vents 50% out the trumpet (and its pretty feckin loud), and in the bottom of pic you can see where my boost gauge has been T'd into with new piece of vac hose on other end that goes to the nipple on top of BOV

and like i say i don't know feck all, just what ive learnt from reading LOTS on this place

DSC02084.jpg

I think the budget T piece may be 90% of the problem.

I have just removed the restrictor from the nipple that goes to gauge, and im now getting readings of around 7-8 PSI on primary, and 10-11 PSI on secondary.

I might try to find a slightly larger diameter T piece in town tomorrow.

F**********. Looking at your pic I just noticed another problem also, that hose from mani > T joint is striped, meaning it has a pill inside it correct? Thats been replaced on my engine, and I bet it has no pill.

I wonder if this would effect it at all..... hmm.

yeah that would be more like it!

not sure about weather or not it would make a difference, but cant harm putting it back on if you've still got the hose lurking around could be worth putting it back on , this is thread where i got the info about the white line , even check out your local wreckers, there should be one lurking on an old subbie there somewhere :D

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,11244.0.html#quickreply

Subtle RS']

Generally any hose with a restrictor pill in it will be marked with a white stripe around the aera the pill is located, just like the ones on some wastegate lines ;)

EDIT:

from the guru himself:

[quote name='Ichi Ban said:

pils are marked with a white stripe on the vac hose's

make sure you fnd them all - and refit them or you'll be posting a HELP thread

so i would be putting it back on

cant say ive heard of that brand so not sure, but you will need one with 20mm fittings to fit into the stock hoses

just keep an eye on the for sale section on here & trademe for a little bit something is bound to pop up sooner or later, most of what ive picked up has been a lucky find on trademe or a cheap score off eBay - can always return to standard BOV for now while you look around?

i paid $120 for mine off trademe so very lucky score, but like i say they do pop up now & then and i did wait quite a while before finding it lol. and i don't mind flicking you a message if i come across anything, im always trawling the web for BD/BG parts :D

id say get that vac hose back on as a priority , but looks like your getting decent readings now without the pill in the tee, it's pretty much same as what I'm getting. is your BOV opening like it was before again?

I had a low reading on my gauge when it was plumbed into the BOV line, I later changed it to run off line No.11 and it gave me the proper reading. May of just been the way it was plumbed into the BOV line that gave a low reading but perhaps it would be a good idea to try off another line to double check.. only takes 2 mins!

Jord said:

I had a low reading on my gauge when it was plumbed into the BOV line, I later changed it to run off line No.11 and it gave me the proper reading. May of just been the way it was plumbed into the BOV line that gave a low reading but perhaps it would be a good idea to try off another line to double check.. only takes 2 mins!

Tru that, perhaps i should give that a try too, any idea where to get a vac hose joiner? repco or the likes?

Jord said:

currently installing a boost gauge and i cant seem to find vacuum line 11, where abouts is it? i have a vacuum line diagram from the forums here but it doesnt show where no.11 is, ive got a be5 rev d

Jord said:

do you know what size adaptor ill need? i brought some 6mm joiners off ebay as repco's stuff looked too small, but hose 11 is considerably smaller than the BOV line that im currently teed into, looks like i would possibly need a smaller T piece too