Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Tuning options? Opinions

jazza

hey, have a got a couple options that i need some opinions on. currently have a v6 sti ra with vf22, walbro pump, k&n intake, full turbo back exhaust, and semi tuned length headers.

have couple options:

A: get a tune with my plug in link g4 as its is (say $800)

B: sell link and get an ecu reflash and tune ($1000)

both options im not too sure what sort of power gains im looking at, running around 15psi at the mo through gizzmo ebc. just want to know if its worth spending the money or maybe the power gains wont be enough to equal the amount spent.

thoughts? comments?

cheers

Has you link alrady been tuned and you just need a retune or is it on a base map?

If its not in need of a full tune it shouldnt cost you 800. Would think it would be half that as most of the work is already done.

You would see a fairly easy 220kw on about 18psi I would think.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

• General Member

v6 ECU isnt reflashable is it? I thought v7 onwards only?

Personally I would get the G4 tune and do away with the EBC, run the boost control via the G4.

No personal experience yet but its what I plan to do after a fair amount of research. Might be worth an IC upgrade for best results wether it be FMIC or Top mount.

But I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will have something to say on that subject.

Sorry i didnt even see that last bit.

Would also do away with the ebc and control via link solanoid. Easy as to install and can control the boost wsy better.

Sale of the ebc would essily fund a solanoid too.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

the links got a tune for an ej25 with gt40 turbo so wont run very well on my car haha, currently running the factory item. i was hoping for that sort of power, i dont really intend on doing a hell of alot of future power mods.

ive been told by wrc developments that can reflash v5/6 ecus for about 1000$, be nice to have the link do all the controlling of the boost though.

any recommended tuners? have found via searching that gary capper and dtech seem to be among the top options. not sure on their pricing at this stage

• General Member

Dangerous territory for me as I have no personal experience, just what I have read, seen, heard.

But I am going for the G4 with a similar list of mods as you except I'm going to be using a FMIC and I have stock headers. I will look to run boost as high as possible while staying safe as I have forged internals.

I expect to see a massive gain over what I have currently with similar mods but a stock ECU.

I'm expecting to make 220ish kw on around 18 PSI.

Definately can reflash V5/6 ECUs with ECUtek, as said, at WRC Developments. They quoted me $995 for a tune on my V5, and expect gains of up to 40hp over standard. Also worth keeping in mind is the expertise of the tuner there, he has mapped ECUs for some of the top WRC teams cars in the past, so you know youre getting a top notch tune !

awesome advice, will talk to the tuners and weigh up my options. as if i sell the link then ill get ecutek tune instead, g4 prob be better in the hands of someone thats wanting to run big turbos and lots of power.

I have a v6 sti type ra limited, with everything you have plus downpipe, front mount and I was running 20 psi and i got 210 kwatw, Iwould be very suprised if anyone will get above this with the same mods.

The car comes with factory forged internals. You will probably find the injectors will be maxed like mine was. I didnt have a g4 but a link g3 stand alone ecu was top of the range when i got it.

Just to add my engine went bang too, lasted 3 years driving it around on the street but if you are going on the track i would be careful, it lasted two track sessions before it went.

jazza said:

hey, have a got a couple options that i need some opinions on. currently have a v6 sti ra with vf22, walbro pump, k&n intake, full turbo back exhaust, and semi tuned length headers.

have couple options:

A: get a tune with my plug in link g4 as its is (say $800)

B: sell link and get an ecu reflash and tune ($1000)

both options im not too sure what sort of power gains im looking at, running around 15psi at the mo through gizzmo ebc. just want to know if its worth spending the money or maybe the power gains wont be enough to equal the amount spent.

thoughts? comments?

cheers

Decap injectors, tune link, 238kw/atw. Done. Your intercooler should be fine I guess.

I say stick with the G4, I've got a tune on my G4 that was done by Dave at Dtech, it was on a v5 V Ltd Type R so very similar setup but no factory forged pistons.

It was a road tune that was done just to install the link, so very safe tune. The guy got the road tune done and wrote off the car before going back to get the full dyno tune.

If you can wait till my engine bay is all rewired in the next few months I can plug the ECU in and copy the tune file and email it to you. Or I can find someone else local with a v5/6 and plug in my link just to get it powered up to download the tune file.

I'll be running my new engine in on that tune with a few tweeks for my bigger injectors

Stoffa said:

I say stick with the G4, I've got a tune on my G4 that was done by Dave at Dtech, it was on a v5 V Ltd Type R so very similar setup but no factory forged pistons.

It was a road tune that was done just to install the link, so very safe tune. The guy got the road tune done and wrote off the car before going back to get the full dyno tune.

If you can wait till my engine bay is all rewired in the next few months I can plug the ECU in and copy the tune file and email it to you. Or I can find someone else local with a v5/6 and plug in my link just to get it powered up to download the tune file.

I'll be running my new engine in on that tune with a few tweeks for my bigger injectors

awesome as mate taht sounds great as, contacted dave at dtech today and he said cost about 600-1000 to get it tuned and roundabout 220wkw. might wait and get injectors decapped first then tune