Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

closed deck block strength

Guest DUSWLO

just wondering on how much boost and kw would be max on a closed deck block?

internals are, sti forged pistons all new genuine bearings v3 heads 06 rods ect prtey much built to factory spec

i see guys from nasoic running same setup on 91 octane at 1.3 1.4 bar

im not talking about the turbo or nething like that.just the block itsself in genral

cheers all input is welcome!

your question doesnt take into account different variables.

first off 91 octane over there is not the same as our 91 here.

and i would contest 25psi on baby vf's are not the same as 25psi on a larger td06 / holset / garrett etc..

FWIW.. running 25psi on the garrett happily through my open deck ;) thats around 1.7bar

Its usually the rods that let go in factory configuration and it heavily depends on the tune the car has, and how nicely its treated and maintained.

What your question also doesnt consider is - are you wanting an 2minute car or an 200,000km car...

funkytown said:

your question doesnt take into account different variables.

first off 91 octane over there is not the same as our 91 here.

and i would contest 25psi on baby vf's are not the same as 25psi on a larger td06 / holset / garrett etc..

FWIW.. running 25psi on the garrett happily through my open deck ;) thats around 1.7bar

Its usually the rods that let go in factory configuration and it heavily depends on the tune the car has, and how nicely its treated and maintained.

What your question also doesnt consider is - are you wanting an 2minute car or an 200,000km car...

what you mean by there octane isnt the same?

ok i see what you mean.and yeh i would be on how well its been looked after ect.

but same for example it has a garret on it with supporting mods and a link ecu tuned.will the rods be the 1st thing to let go?

there are different scales of octane rating. I cant be bothered showing you - so just google it.

no idea what the first thing to let go is going to be - it was built to support around 250kw. might s*** a piston, or a BEB or the bores might warp. Anything eventually could let go - just depends on the conditions stated above.

ok sweet.

but your talking about your open deck block right?

its hard to tell cause i havnt really seen anyone with the same setup/internals that iv got,and after reading nasoic they seem to think closed deck blocks are prerty tuff and can handle 250kw plus.

im also running rods from a 06,whch is supposibly better according to murray

Well I managed 215kw on a stock 6s - had no det and safe afr at 20 psi - was keeping charge air as cool as possible - jumped up 20kw with a mines 6s still no det and safe afr on 20 psi

Not sure what air temp would be like on a top mount however -

dont know why people seem to think closed deck makes the world of difference on any street/odd track day car below 280wkw ish. Makes next to NO difference in 2.0L world..

Pistons,rods and how well it was assembled/built/treated/tuned is what counts there. If its STI pistons not even so much the pistons as stated more the rods..

If it does have V7 on "bolt type" rods it should be good for a reliable 250 on the street odd track day if it has all the right external components (link, enough fuel etc) and a good tune. There has been examples of them fail before that power but other things come into play when argueing that.

If its got old rods (nut type) I wouldnt go much past 220wkw if you dont want a hole in your "closed deck block".

Not sure about the rods.but iknow theyr frm a 06 model.

Well im not making a big deal but od like to no how much kw i can run b4 i blow the motor.obviously other factors will restrict the car.turbo ,injecters ect.

Ithnk with a link injecters and a turbo a nice responsive 230 ish kw

as for boost now 16 17 psi shuld be fine on a ebc?

DUSWLO said:

Not sure about the rods.but iknow theyr frm a 06 model.

Well im not making a big deal but od like to no how much kw i can run b4 i blow the motor.obviously other factors will restrict the car.turbo ,injecters ect.

Ithnk with a link injecters and a turbo a nice responsive 230 ish kw

as for boost now 16 17 psi shuld be fine on a ebc?

Motors can pop if they feel like it in reality lol as most of us probably know ;).

But yeah 16-17psi on a stock setup with exhaust and intake pipe is fine.

And your asumption sounds about right but yeah even a link G4 (what you need if you want it to run well with decent size injectors and IAT correction ect) , a some injectors and a turbo + tune will sit you back a 4K+ to do nicely. Then yeah I wouldnt like to try make 230 atw with a V4 TMIC so add somthing there plus a fuel pump if you dont have and you should be there.. (you may JUST scrape thru withthe stock tmic but I mean just and your IAT's will be getting up there & depending on dyno ::))

Yeh think 16 17 psi shuld be fine.the silicone intake has made a big diffrnce.wuld like to see how it would be with abit more boost

yeh ithink 230kw would be a nice target.and be a quick street car.

Yeh around 4k is what i was thinking.id like to upgrade to a tdo5 18g or 2og with some nice injecters and a link.

Yeh ithink the top mounts the next restriction i needa change.but id like to keep top mount so yeh mayb go for a v4 one or even a bug eye rex one.you fitted one to ur coupe didnt you?

quite alot of diifrence.you can actaully here the turbo alot more now,sounds nice!

boost is alot stronger and more responsive,as i said id like to see how it goes on 1bar +.

i changed my hole setup in one go thoe,i went from old afm shitty intake pipe and k&n filter

sti81.jpg

then i chnaged to brand new afm 3"silicone inatke and airbox back on car runss alot smoother and quicker response.and thats only at 8psi

40901415647309779780410.jpg

but yeh if it is 2kw thats sweet im just happy the car runs mint as

2kw peak maybe - I would dispute that anyway - in my experience I only changed the intake and nothing else at that point of time and i felt allot more response and reached full boost earlier - so it realistically made it faster regardlessof a gain in peak power

i had 240kw for several years on an open deck block with standard non-sti pistons and rods. where as some people with forged motors blow theirs at much less power than that much quicker

every motor is different. every car and setup is different. every owner is different.

as for the parts themselves, an open deck block is good for over 400kw with 35psi of boost. with your parts combination, i would limit it to 20psi of boost with every 10kw over 200kw increasing the chance of premature failure.

WRXONP said:

2kw peak maybe - I would dispute that anyway - in my experience I only changed the intake and nothing else at that point of time and i felt allot more response and reached full boost earlier - so it realistically made it faster regardlessof a gain in peak power

stock tune

run1 = witht stock intake

few hours later samco silicone intake

2kw peak and marginal gains along the way

if retuned then yes bigger difference but question was for part change only

feel does not equate logs but yes by feel it sounded quicker and kinda felt more than 2kw

end of day logs split the numbers as they are eh

pappu']

[quote name='WRXONP said:

/quote]

stock tune

run1 = witht stock intake

few hours later samco silicone intake

2kw peak and marginal gains along the way

if retuned then yes bigger difference but question was for part change only

feel does not equate logs but yes by feel it sounded quicker and kinda felt more than 2kw

end of day logs split the numbers as they are eh

Logs shmogs

Kw means crap --

If peak kw is not even changed - but u reach peak earlier the car is faster yeah ???