Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Tein Springs and adjustable front and rear swway bars for 06 Legacy?

Dave88

Hey guys,

After original dramas with car its now sweetas with power etc.

Looking at stiffening up suspension to make it corner better and got some advice from good dude at mag n turbo who recommended Tein Springs and from and rear adjustable sway bars as standard ones wiggle heaps and also re valving (I think?) the Bilsteins to make em stiffer. Was told no point getting coilovers unless prepared to get something like Tein Adjusties which cost like 4K certed...

Is this a good idea to make it better for the track or are there other things should look at as well like these Nolathane bushes etc.

Thoughts welcome

what you have to ask yourself is - do you really wana go down the path of making your legacy (traditionally road tourer) into a track capable car or not? A legacy is almost never going to be a fast track car - nor sensible imo but anythings possible.

and then.. if you want to go round the circuit, how often will you actually end up doing that in comparison to the xxxxxxxxx kms of road driving you do.

The two scenarios and what you would do to the car are somewhat at odds with each other imo.

That said, sway bars also tighten up the wallow and make it more pointy in the corners - strut wise you need to think about the question i've posed as to what the right option is.

If you must, Get some good branded springs, a slighty bigger rear sway bar(adjustable is waaaay overkill for street car) and replace your rubber bushes with nolathane or the likes. A rebuild of shocks (dont worry about re-valving) if the $$ to do so.

Other than that, What Funky said. While the Legacy has a better designed rear end, it never be a "STi" handling wise.

I've uprated the sway bay added strut braces to a couple of my road cars, and it made them much nicer to drive.

Granted they are more made for the racing side of driving, but personally I like to have a car that feels planted wherever I go.

Good upgrades that can make a big difference for minimal $$$ IMO ;)

I put second hand prova adjustables in my 05 3.0R and they were great. The Legacy handles great to start with but the upgrade was a lot better again. The only issue is you have to put up with the bumping around town. Open road is fine though.

I also had a rear sway bar and was keeping up with turbo skylines around taupo. It was a little nose heavy and slightly understeery but it had superb balance and was really really hard to get loose.

All up cost me about $1500.

Add some good brake pads and tyres and you are set.

You could get something like BC golds or whatever for about $2k all up.

I haven't experienced lowering springs in a legacy but every other car I've driven with lowering springs has been rubbish.