Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

external wastegate

Id have it somewhere you can plumb back easy without the pipe being to low?

ive got mine (& love it) on the headers so when warrent time comes i have to plumb it back under the engine which the pipe is quite low

but i dont need a sceamer pipe becuase its already at the bottom of the engine

If i got to change my place or doing it for a first time id go with uppipe if there is room & can be low enough to not have a screamer pipe but high enough so the plumb back is not to low

v8slyr said:

can anyone help me with PROS and CONS of having a external on a sooby either CAST HEADER or UP-PIPE?

Its not needed unless you have upgraded turbo to one without an internal gate, it costs $$ ,hassle and i doubt it gives any performance gains.

There are modded subarus with well over 400hp on an internal gate.

Qwerty']

[quote name='v8slyr said:

can anyone help me with PROS and CONS of having a external on a sooby either CAST HEADER or UP-PIPE?

/quote]

Its not needed unless you have upgraded turbo to one without an internal gate, it costs $$ ,hassle and i doubt it gives any performance gains.

This is true to a point, your internal wastegate is good enough but if your after the sound of an external or want to up boost without a tap or EBC then you can change spring pressure etc

BUT people say only buy genine wastegates which are about $500 for brand new tial 38mm, which is a lot if your only using it for boost control, and its not easy to change boost like a tap or EBC

What are you planning to do with it? have it plumbed in or Venting? Up boost?

v8slyr said:

im hoping it will hold boost as im having little trouble with boost spike, been told it could be wastegate or boost solenoid!, but unsure

Hmm if its just for steady boost control then u mite want to lean toward a EBC

i had a wasty + a link controlled boost tap, the spring would always hold steady but with the boost tap in there it did all sorts of things, ie it would hold steady 7.25 psi when boost tap disconnected, (link was set to run 19 then drop of to 16psi) but it would spike up & then drop then go back up etc

You will see a improvement in spool up times on your Turbo, I ran a 38mm External on my Td04 and saw it spoolin at 2200RPM, with some supporting mods.. But it shites it'self after 5400rpm. The external sees more exhaust gasses freely flowing, at the extent of the atmosphere.

Get it rerouted into your downpipe, or you will have some legal issues to deal with. I was looking at buying a Electronic cutout for use on my 44mm once I get it in. This would mean I can either run the wastegate open, or closed with the flick of a switch. But will need to be run with engine mangment or seperate maps. like the Link G4 etc.

I'm going to post up a seperate thread on the external how too's soon in regards to what is and isn't legal setup wise in the legal forum.

Mine is vented to atmo that gets wof also, I have had Tony at RDL fabricate a setup off the up-pipe with the proper y setup with the external sitting next to my turbo. Then I have had a 2m pipe that followed the exhaust down to the back of the car. As legally it is technically an exhaust leak, hence it must exit 300mm from the rear passengers compartment. This will pass wofs as I've had no issues with this setup, and no I don't mean dodgy wofs either. ;) I will post up shortly what was done with my setup and how it looks. Noise wise it will get u in big trouble with the police if u drive hard near them, so I recommend holding out hitting the boost hard til trackdays or out of neighbourhoods, as even I get annoyed at guys cranking their externals at 4am outside my place.

Disruptz said:

You will see a improvement in spool up times on your Turbo, I ran a 38mm External on my Td04 and saw it spoolin at 2200RPM, with some supporting mods.. But it shites it'self after 5400rpm. The external sees more exhaust gasses freely flowing, at the extent of the atmosphere.

You would see improvements in spool up with any non std boost control if you did it right.

To get the fastest spoolup you want the wastegate closed as much as possible so what wastegate you use doesn't matter. Its not the wastegate that improves spool.

V8SLYR said:

hi all, if i was to fit a E/W to my rex which fitting do i connect the vacuum hose up to the one on top or the one closest to flange?

mine has both connected not sure if its right but it works

it must have a spilter before the wasty or something because its only the one hose heading down there...

ive never really checked it before

Ive got mine mounted behind my right front wheel. Its in a 90deg config so not the best and with stainless headers it tends to be too much weight at high temp and cracks the top weld so ive made a temp fix with heat wrap. Buying a MandH uppipe with the 38mm flange and brace already attached and it goes back to the turbo. Should help with boost stability and should come on faster. Pipes are $175 inc from STA Parts.

Cracking down where it is isnt a prob if you can weld but when it happens every other week its not fun. So ive wrapped it with heat wrap as its the weight of the wastegate when the motor twists.

V8SLYR said:

hi all, if i was to fit a E/W to my rex which fitting do i connect the vacuum hose up to the one on top or the one closest to flange?

Depends on your wastegate and your setup.

Do a google for the manual online. They can be confusing to setup properly if you still run factory solenoids etc.

Swindog']

[quote name='V8SLYR said:

Depends on your wastegate and your setup.

Do a google for the manual online. They can be confusing to setup properly if you still run factory solenoids etc.

any websites cheers

Qwerty']

/quote]

but you forgot the cool noise au!

A decent EBC will cost you less than

buying external-getting shop to connect it up-fail wof-pay shop to plumb it back in, if you dont crack it.

Get an apexi avc-r or similair, adjustable boost targets for rpm/gear, and can adjust the way it comes on, have hi/lo boost settings etc etc. Better bang for buck, and much more adjustable/tuneable.

nzkaosnz']

/quote]

but you forgot the cool noise au!

A decent EBC will cost you less than

buying external-getting shop to connect it up-fail wof-pay shop to plumb it back in, if you dont crack it.

Get an apexi avc-r or similair, adjustable boost targets for rpm/gear, and can adjust the way it comes on, have hi/lo boost settings etc etc. Better bang for buck, and much more adjustable/tuneable.

I have already got a cast header pro welded from a reputable engineer shop

fits all nicely with a screamer pipe, But am unsure which vacuum line goes where?

also for w.o.f i have a spare flange welded up to be a bolt on plug,

which would only take a few minutes to fit and reconnect internal gate

driftrex said:

depends on what setup you have but if your not using the factory boost soleniod then all you need is one vaccum line goin from the turbo outlet straight to the side port on your external and your away laughing. thats how mine is setup anyway.

yea factory boost solenoid is still in place...

Any sugestions to fit EWG with this set up?

Here mate try this link.

http://www.turbosmartonline.com/index.php?s=downloads

Down the bottom is wastegate instructions. Click on the Ultragate 38 one and scroll through the instructions. I think the pretty pics are down the bottom of the pdf.

There is a couple ways to hook them up. I have an EBC and disconnected my factory solenoids. On TypeRrateds coupe we had to keep all the solinoids on so im not sure what the go is there but hook it up as it says and see how you go. If you overboost initially swap the hoses over on the wastegate and try again.

If that doesnt work it comes down to your solenoids.

V8Slyrs is setup funny by sounds. Do you have an EBC or tap? To run a EBC you need both sides of the wastey plumbed to the EBC. A tap will vent the watesy to atmosphere on one side as it cant regulate the pressure within the wastegate as the tap does this for you. An EBC regulates pressure on either of the wastegate electronicly therefore being more precise and accurate and can calculate flucuations and fix minor probs.

Post up and let us know how you get on.

I can honestly say without a good EBC setup, an external won't help too much if not setup right esp if a mostly stock setup can't handle the boost. Apart from the noise ul just end up in the same boat and wasted a boat load of money.

I have this setup with supporting mods like EBC and PowerFC. It still overboosts but that is due to needing to the EBC setup sorted and a re-tune to which Im getting sorted on monday.

My setup

P2270048.jpg

P2270049.jpg

Swindog said:

Here mate try this link.

http://www.turbosmartonline.com/index.php?s=downloads

Down the bottom is wastegate instructions. Click on the Ultragate 38 one and scroll through the instructions. I think the pretty pics are down the bottom of the pdf.

There is a couple ways to hook them up. I have an EBC and disconnected my factory solenoids. On TypeRrateds coupe we had to keep all the solinoids on so im not sure what the go is there but hook it up as it says and see how you go. If you overboost initially swap the hoses over on the wastegate and try again.

V8Slyrs is setup funny by sounds. Do you have an EBC or tap? To run a EBC you need both sides of the wastey plumbed to the EBC. A tap will vent the watesy to atmosphere on one side as it cant regulate the pressure within the wastegate as the tap does this for you. An EBC regulates pressure on either of the wastegate electronicly therefore being more precise and accurate and can calculate flucuations and fix minor probs.

i dont have any boost controller at present as im just getting advice for now on fitting, so do i need a EBC to run a wastegate properly or can i still run EWG with factory solenoid?.

or is there a short cut to fitting on this set up?.

Thanks heaps

V8SLYR']

[quote name='Swindog said:

Here mate try this link.

url]http://www.turbosmartonline.com/index.php?s=downloads[/url]

i dont have any boost controller at present as im just getting advice for now on fitting, so do i need a EBC to run a wastegate properly or can i still run EWG with factory solenoid?.

Thanks heaps

if your have no controller then that makes it easy as, unplumb the factory soleniod but leave it plugged in and as i said above you will only need one line goin from turbo outlet to side port on your external wastegate, just make sure you have the right spring in your wastegate for whatever boost you want to run. i run 12psi in mine but goin up to 15-16psi now as i have a few supporting mods.

driftrex']

[quote name='Swindog said:

Here mate try this link.

url]http://www.turbosmartonline.com/index.php?s=downloads[/url]

Thanks heaps

if your have no controller then that makes it easy as, unplumb the factory soleniod but leave it plugged in and as i said above you will only need one line goin from turbo outlet to side port on your external wastegate, just make sure you have the right spring in your wastegate for whatever boost you want to run. i run 12psi in mine but goin up to 15-16psi now as i have a few supporting mods.

what do i leave plugged in mate the power supply thingy?