Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BH5 GTB Whine

RSB

Hey all.

Got a BH5 s***tronic that has quite a loud whine sound from 2000rpm. The whine is loud till about 2500 rpm at which point it quietens down. Can sometime be heard through to 5k rpm, but quiet. Very light throttle will not produce the sound, where a little prod will. something does not like being under mild load.

First thought was the trans, as the sound can ONLY be heard when the car is in gear - but trans shifts sweet, and trans fluid is at correct level and in good nick.

Wondering if its the primary turbo, as its just starting to come on boost about then? but is more of a whine than a whistle.

aircon pump belt is shot, and looks to be the wrong width (too skinny), have a new belt to put on tonight, but not convinced it's an accessory belt. alternator belt looks new, but alternator itselfis a little noisy at idle (mild grind - unsure if this is normal?)

Any ideas?

just caught up and had a quick looksie :) definitely whine on the primary, and its quite smokey. I'd say its done the oil seals on the primary for good measure.

Looked like the oil hadn't been changed in quite a long time so its off with the primary and a good clean out of the manifold and intake tract. change the oil, find a new primary and see how that goes.

That all said it drove very nicely and was responsive on the primary (didn't test the secondary).

GL with sorting the issue :)

Cheers mate.

Smoking is a new habit it's picked up today. Will whip the primary off tonight(provided head shields dont give me days of grief like by BD ones did!) and report back here with my findings.

Goes quite well on secondary, though that said its no where near as good as my BD5 RS, which goes much harder than this! :) (should mention that my bd is running a hybrid VF18/31 primary, and a VF32 Secondary)

Pretty happy with the wagon as a DD, just as long as new turbo fixes my woes!

So have pulled intercooler off, and slipped the engine intake pipe off the turbo inlet side to feel for shaft play on the turbo. Turbo feels fine, no shaft play at all. However can see quite clearly where i think the issue is, and thats the airbox to turbo pipe has pretty much disintegrated around the hose clamp, leaving much opportunity for the turbo to suck in other air and cause a potential whine.

Will fashion up a band-aid tomorrow out of silicon hose to confirm that intake hose, not turbo is at fault. manifold will have to come off i think for replacement?

A little stumped about the smoking though. It stopped completely once i got it on the motorway, and has not done it again. Possibly water got into the intake in the carwash? Have i just steam cleaned the inside of my engine? :o

took turbo off this afternoon. it's well toast. has a couple of mm vertical play and a little horizontal play. Oil seals are had it.

Have a new turbo and intake pipe coming. scored them for a good price, keen to get them on and get the wagon on the road.

not what i want to hear haha i have a massive whine from my primary turbo it still boosts fine so im happy with it however i think the fan in mine is toast as at constant boost it makes a whirring/ticking noise and the boost guage shows it moving 1psi

^^ Turbo is quite easy to get out on these. Managed to get this one off without even dropping the DP. Have taken some pics and can attempt to put together a diy if you want.

Though if memory serves me correctly, oil return line is a pig to get back on when putting new turbo in.

yeah took the primary out my last one for the downpipe which might i add was a bastard of a job nuts were ceased on ended up trying propane torch and then one we had to take to it with a angle grinder lol which resulted in replacing studs on the turbo. the most fun had on these cars by far is putting the top mount back on lol

have the manifold off now. Will put the turbo on first when it arrives i think. more room to move/can see oil return etc.

Not looking forward to plumbing the intake manifold though!

sooooo, update. Finally received turbo and intake pipe, and i've been sent a secondary (VF27), not the primary VF26 as requested. Have not had any response from emails yet, so am looking for the correct items locally. will be seeking refund when i eventually track the seller down.

also intake pipe is different? The one i have been sent is near identical Except there appears to be a hose connection on the afm side of the intake pipe? I'm presuming this is what it should be, as the pipe i have been sent has a hole the size of an old 20cent piece. looks to me like it left the factory with a pipe there. don't think it can be effictively plugged without plastic welding. Overall not happy.

Rant aside, I have flushed the brake fluid and inspected/fixed the driverside headlight which had condensation issues. Looks like someone has had them apart before to remove the orange lens in the indicator housings. So i baked it carefully in the oven, pulled the lense off and let it all dry out in the sun. I then re-baked the headlamp to soften the sealant and pressed the lense back in to the housing. Sealed it with silicone for good measure and it is not condensating any more, so thats a win.

Hole in pipe as per pic below. anyone know the story here?

394517_10150624386062404_595502403_91893

bolt on the VF27, run them parallel ;D.

I would say I have a vf26 here, but then I remembered, I'd already sold it(Aages ago), I do have a spare vf27 though... >.<

I'll have a look at my intake pipe tomorrow (After school because I'm a kid and still do that) document any holes or something silly like that, it looks to me where a pipe would go, not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the car running about a week or so ago after a few drama's with parts, However i was plagued by an intermittant code 66, limp mode, and poor shifting from the trans (which was fine pre-op). Realised i hadnt put the turbo heatshield back on, and began to wonder if i had cooked the trans fluid, so did a drain and fill of 4l of dextron 3 and low and behold, after 150km of driving the trans was sweet. Will do another drain and fill this weekend to dilute the old fluid thats still in there.

Managed to track the code 66, boost cut and limp mode down to a broken nipple on the differential pressure sensor. BD/BG use exactly the same part, so swiped the one from my RSB for testing purposes.

Car runs sweet as a nut now. Stoked.

Seems to be, hard to say really though as i only did a few hundred kms in it before pulling it off the road. Seat of pants meter tells me its quite a bit stronger on boost, and boost is more reliable.

all thats left to do is track down a differential pressure sensor and engine cover, trans drain/fill, second oil and filter change and a bit of a paint tidy up. Will be happy then lol.