Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Bear with me.. another Buying a Legacy thread (BH GT)

xlr8

Im in the market for a manual BH GT but Im hearing horror stories about the engines eating bearings. All the ones Ive seen seem to be from 115k to 150k and Im just wondering If I should be steering clear of anything that hasnt already had a rebuild or if the bearing stories are overstated.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Copy pasted from a topic created just a few days ago:

The twin-turbos are renowned for blowing primary turbo and big end bearings.

Look for one that is completely stock, because pod filters and larger exhausts compromise the integrity of the primary turbo's function. It was not designed to have increased flow, as it's so small.

Also, look for one with a recorded service history so you can check for regular oil changes, this will reduce the chance of finding one that will run a BEB (still no guarantee).

Yes, they are generally more unreliable than similar substitutes due to these two items and the frequency of their failure, so just be mindful of that.

If you don't believe me, search various Subaru forums for those two problems and they will pop up all over the place.

A low kms Turbo Skyline, Silvia, Soarer, or Supra will be more reliable due to their better build quality. They all have problems too but far less severe and costly than a turbo or BEB. For example, common problem with Skylines is coil-packs wear out. This is a fairly cheap but more importantly easy fix.

Be aware of Subaru fanboys (i have a Subaru myself but a single-turbo) who will try to tell you Subaru's are just as reliable if looked after because quite simply, they are not.

My 2c. Enjoy

Our BH Legacy Sedan had 164,000 kms on it when we sold it (we owned for 100,000 kms). Had a full 3" Blitz Nurspec system.

Turbos were 100%

Mabey we were lucky, or mabey it was the oil changes (Valvoline VR1 + PromaMBl8 every 10,000 kms)

Id be more worried about the tiptronic gear boxes which are known to have shifting issues as the valve seals go in them (even with stringent maintainence).

Ok plan "B" is to get a car with a few more k's on the clock and keep some cash aside for a potential rebuild down the track. What would I be looking at for a typical rebuild if I lost a BEB? Would 3k aside be enough?

IMO, its luck of the draw. My RSB has been the most reliable car I have owned. Then again I bought with 93k and fsh from new. I've done 120k in it and had only an alternator and radiator fail. Had Cambelt and accessories, seals, clutch, gearbox fluid, and diff fluid done between 100 and 120k.

however, I also have a gtb with a blown primary turbo, split induction pipe and cracked knock sensor housing. This car has 146k, history unknown.

Sadly, most for sale will fall into the history unknown camp.

• Admin

i tend to dissagree with the info in post 2.

Yes there are freaks of nature that have never had an oil change and have made it to 500,000ks, and there are some that have rolled off the factory floor and carked it there and then...

Rule of thumb. maintain it and it should be good.

I have always maintained my Subarus well, oil every 5-7 thou..., air filters and always used Genuien parts

I have never suffered from a catastroffic failure such as BEB or Blowen Turbo.

The legacy I currently own has done 190,000 and if I were looking to rebuild I would budget for anywhere from 3-10K

But, how long is a piece of string?

PBMS used to sell replacement sti short blacks for 3.5K which would be a good bolt in replacement, but Im guessing displacement would be an issue.

If my car died tomorrow, i would get one of these blocks, and a Link ecu, then start begging/ borrowing, and stealing single turbo parts, then voilla! Sexy single turbo Legacy wagon with no ks on the engine, run in hard and fast but with low boost and you have a strong new engine.

Plus, wheny ou rebuild the engine its amazing how much you learn about these cars. IMO the more you know, the more you appreicate these brilliant feats of engineering.

the most reliable subaru i have owned was a twin turbo, and i drove it hard some times, sold it at 160ks and never fixed 1 thing, that had a pod and larger cat back exhaust, but im a fussy bugger with services

xlr8 said:

Ok plan "B" is to get a car with a few more k's on the clock and keep some cash aside for a potential rebuild down the track. What would I be looking at for a typical rebuild if I lost a BEB? Would 3k aside be enough?

If youre interested in my old 1999 B4, I might be able to convince the new owner to sell, owes him $5500.

Known service history since 64,000 kms, gearbox recently replaced, interior real good, full nurspec system. Titronic though.

Heylin']

[quote name='xlr8 said:

/quote]

If youre interested in my old 1999 B4, I might be able to convince the new owner to sell, owes him $5500.

Known service history since 64,000 kms, gearbox recently replaced, interior real good, full nurspec system. Titronic though.

Only considering manual wagons at this stage. Thanks for the offer though.

exactly on the same page as you xlr8. have always wanted a subi but have always heard the horror stories about them and the unreliabilit. LUCKILY my friend who is a mechnaic bought one with a blown motor and spent 5 grand on a rebuild, then he sold it to me for 5 grand :). I have had it for 2 months and it has been the best car i have ever driven, TBH i would try and find one with a rebuilt engine (as what i can see problems TEND to start happening around 80,000-150,000 km)... thats just my 2c anyway:) good luck!

I have owned 3 turbo subarus one WRX one Forester and now the BH twin turbo.

I have maintained each religiously and all i have had to replace is consumables.

Driven all hard regularly, WRX from around 75000kms-145000kms, Forester from 60,000kms to 110000kms and now the Legacy from 150 000 kms to ???????.

Perhaps I have been lucky but personally I believe if you buy wisely and do your due dilligence and service well you will have the best driving, best bang for buck car there is in a turbo subaru.

ODB said:

I have owned 3 turbo subarus one WRX one Forester and now the BH twin turbo.

I have maintained each religiously and all i have had to replace is consumables.

Driven all hard regularly, WRX from around 75000kms-145000kms, Forester from 60,000kms to 110000kms and now the Legacy from 150 000 kms to ???????.

Perhaps I have been lucky but personally I believe if you buy wisely and do your due dilligence and service well you will have the best driving, best bang for buck car there is in a turbo subaru.

Did they all have turbo timers ? I wonder how many non turbo timer turbos fail vs timered ones ??