Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Tuning Results - (2004 Legacy GT-B Auto)

Heylin

Just got off the phone with Gary Capper and the results are in

- Reflash

- Subtech pipe

- High flow air filter

- 185-190KW at the wheels, overall gain of 10-15Kw from when it went in.

Notes:

- was found to be running 15psi before any changes (normal for factory ?)

- had to have a little timing pulled as it was getting some DET

- now running 16 psi, Gary reckons this is OK for VF38 but wouldnt go more.

- Looking at the Map Gary reckons it was possibly remapped in Japan, as it seemed quite different to other factory tunes hed seen, mabey a GT-B thing ?

ODB said:

What was cost for each part of the process?

Thats decent pull at wheels. Will auto box be sweet at that level?

Yeah works out to be 225-228kw roughly at motor which is bang on what I expected from those mods and from what others said as well. Manual would see more, but still good. Autos in USA pulling more than that no problem.

Mods were - Subtech Front Pipe $500 fitted, Adrenalin R Resonator $280 fitted, Hi Flow Air Filter, $50, Reflash @ PBMS $920.

$1750 all up for 190 kw atw vs 190 kw at the engine stock. :) happy man, cant wait to drive.

pappu said:

i wud say take it to some place like TP on a dyno day and confirm that the figure is indeed correct..

a few of the cars been under pulling a lot after a gcp tune (some even members here)

May do, thanks for heads up.

The before and after on PBMS Dyno was 10-15 kw at the wheels, Subtechs before and after on their front pipe show a 15 kw gain over stock. so overall it has gained 25-30 kw at the wheels over stock based on before and after differences.

Be interesting to know accurately what the ATW performance is for stock legacy GT-B, then its just a matter of adding on the 30KW to get the true gain \ ATW performance.

Doing a bit more research, apprently Subaru AWD averages 25% loss, and it seems there is negligle difference in Auto vs Manual Transmission losses above the lower rpm levels.

So based on 25% and 30KW actual gain and factory 190KW at the engine, then 230Kw at engine (190KW) at wheels is in fact about right as it whittles back down to 190 at the wheels.

Anyway just numbers at the end of the day, im pretty sure I will like the extra boost of power as I was happy before it was tuned.

paulngui said:

Thanks for the write up. Did the physical mods have any effect on fuel economy? I'll also be interested to know the effect on economy post tune once you've had it for some time since the tune :)

had our best liter per 100 km figure on the physical mods. 10.7L per 100km, that was using 95 octane as well and 50/50 mixed town\open road driving.

Worst we ever had was about 14L per 100 for mainly town driving.

Drove car back from Pukekohe today, must say the team at PBMS are great bunch, Gary is full of Subaru knowledge and a real good kiwi bloke, really knows his tuning stuff.

Car is magic to drive now, much more responsive in the 0-120 range, and also when overtaking. Economy is looking at least the same as factory if not better. Also noticed its smoother overall in gear changes like the power is more even.

Wouldnt want to go any more silly on it, as a stockish car with a bit of added zest Im happy :)

Sounds great mate - great power from minimal work - does the improved drivability extend to low RPM?

Was the Dyno result on 95 or 98? (you mention 95 in a later post) I'm looking at maybe getting a GTB but can only get 95...

Sosua said:

Sounds great mate - great power from minimal work - does the improved drivability extend to low RPM?

Was the Dyno result on 95 or 98? (you mention 95 in a later post) I'm looking at maybe getting a GTB but can only get 95...

Gary tuned it for fast take off at lights. Most of the torque comes on in the 0-80 kmh range, but 80-120 still has more than factory.

Basically tuned for performance where it matters ie round town and open road at legal speeds.

Fuel economy update, first refill since tune.

370kms (100km open road and 270km town driving) playing with new power a fair bit

14.3L per 100 kms

Will plug some more figures in this thread later, reckon pure open road econ wont be much more than stock (10-11L per 100) quite happy with the results.

paulngui said:

I'm guessing it's hard to gauge if it's improved or worsened given that you were probably testing out the power more than usual?

For sure, I have to wait for sensible wife to drive and then report back with some economy results, although 14.3L was about what we would get for 50/50 mix of town \ highway previously.

70 highway / 30 town would usually net 11L per 100kms.

Heylin']

[quote name='paulngui said:

I'm guessing it's hard to gauge if it's improved or worsened given that you were probably testing out the power more than usual?

/quote]

For sure, I have to wait for sensible wife to drive and then report back with some economy results, although 14.3L was about what we would get for 50/50 mix of town \ highway previously.

Is 14.3 before or after mods? (front pipe etc)

paulngui']

[quote name='paulngui said:

/quote]

Is 14.3 before or after mods? (front pipe etc)

After the mods