Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

noisy lifters

My 97 GTB legacy has rather noisy lifters, its rather constant too, when cold and warm and doesnt go away at all. When had a full service a couple of months back and a product poured in (think it was nulon lifter remover) with the oil which we were hoping would remove the carbon build up etc and reduce the noise the lifters were making. They are still noisy as and annoying me.lol. any ideas guys?? Is it just the lifters or something more serious?

cheers

Guest keltik

Go get a $20 oil pressure gauge right now. I had noisy lifters on my old Legacy and tried additives etc, 2 weeks later the number 3 conrod abandoned ship.

Guest boostcut

its called proma mbl8 repco/supercheep dont have it, you can get it on trademe sometimes. BNT had it a while back but now we get it from another workshop across the road.

Guest keltik

Or the bloody oil pump is dead.

One or two noisy lifters some of the time is likely, lots of noisy lifters all of the time just screams oil pump to me

EJ20T said:

ALL mitsibishi dealers nation wide have it in stock. and in a 97 gtb it wont have a noisey valve train, unless something is badly worn

Agreed, GTB "should" have solid lifters (shim over bucket type).

If they're rattling, there's something wrong that additives ain't gonna fix.

Either that, or someone has chucked an old WRX/Legacy engine in there...

log1call said:

Yup, it's more likely to be air in there. If the pressure was so low the lifters ran out of oil the motor would be gone by now I should think.

I wondered about that. I know the older stuff had promblems with the oil pump gaskets but wasnt sure if the newer stuff did the same

Koom']

[quote name='EJ20T said:

ALL mitsibishi dealers nation wide have it in stock. and in a 97 gtb it wont have a noisey valve train, unless something is badly worn

/quote]

Correct :)

Ichi Ban']

[quote name='EJ20T said:

/quote]

Not to hijack but I have a 98 BH TT with the engine EJ208DWAKE. Now this has always had a ticking coming from both banks for the 6,000 kms I have owned it. Would the lifters in be solid?

dumbskate']

Not to hijack but I have a 98 BH TT with the engine EJ208DWAKE. Now this has always had a ticking coming from both banks for the 6,000 kms I have owned it. Would the lifters in be solid?

A light ticking sound is relatively normal for a high mileage engine with solid lifters as its probably due to wear and the clearances getting larger over time. You can tell when a hydraulic lifter has packed a sad as it makes you car sound like a diesel and is very noticable.

[quote name='Leese said:

OK now this has got me a bit worried!!

My lifters are noisy when the engine is cold - that's ok though isn't it?? (It's just cos the engines cold??)

At a guess I'd say its more likely to be pistons that are rattling when cold. How many km's does your engine have on it? Not always the end of the world and again normally due to wear over time.

Koom said:

At a guess I'd say its more likely to be pistons that are rattling when cold. How many km's does your engine have on it? Not always the end of the world and again normally due to wear over time.

Engine has only done 75,000kms...

Leese']

[quote name='Koom said:

/quote]

Depending on what model you have, your engine may have the factory forged pistons which can rattle a bit when cold. Even if it doesn't, just let it warm up before pushing it i.e. drive slowly below 3k rpm until the water has been up to temp for at least 3-5 mins (by then the oil should also be up to temp too).

Koom']

[quote name='Koom said:

/quote]

Depending on what model you have, your engine may have the factory forged pistons which can rattle a bit when cold. Even if it doesn't, just let it warm up before pushing it i.e. drive slowly below 3k rpm until the water has been up to temp for at least 3-5 mins (by then the oil should also be up to temp too).

Thank you - I have a 2000 RSK B4 :) I never take it over 3000 RPM until she's full warmed up :) Thank you for your help dude!!

Guest Oscar
 G-unit said:

mine go noisy when need oil change

+1.

It's probably the only thing I'm going to miss when I make the change to solids.

so would it be the pistons then?? any ideas on how to actually fix this problem of the noisy lifters then, the oil pump etc?? have tried the additives and have not worked, not sure if it is worth looking into much further if its not really going to be a big problem. The legacy has done 148xxxkms by the way.

Ichi Ban said:

Never seen EJ series engine with valve train wear

This is sounding more like piston knock than anything else

Yeah ive never seen a EJ with valve train wear, even on G engines with dead lifters (besides the lifters being worn).

And my BH-5 has some piston noise when cold. but its well gone and replaced with a little cam to bucket noise when hot. think this is pretty normal in the early phase two turbo engines