Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

New XT network

whose been watching telecoms new network.

Just saw this on the intranet if anyone is interested.

Radical changes to mobile plan charges with XT

20 May 2009

Today we’re announcing more details to the media about our XT Mobile Network pricing, content proposition, and handsets.

Here’s a recap the key points of interest in each of these areas…

Pricing

This is the really big news. We’ve reduced the number of mobile plans on offer from 60 to just 14 – in response to customers telling us they just want choosing a plan to be easy.

With our new One Rate plans, customers no longer have to worry whether they’re calling during on-peak or off-peak. Likewise, no more having to work out if they’re calling someone on the same network or another network - it’s now all One Rate.

And for pre-paid customers we won’t be rounding up their charges to the nearest minute – after the first minute of calling they’ll pay by the second, which means a lot more calling with every top-up.

We’ve also removed penalising calling rates if customers go over their monthly included minutes, so if a plan has 100 included minutes and the customer uses 112 minutes, the additional 12 are charged at the same per minute rate as the included minutes of their plan.

For business customers and families, we’ve introduced the new ability to share minutes between the team or the whanau. Share Calling allows customers to group multiple users onto one plan, taking advantage of a lower per minute calling rate and free calling between group members.

Some really clever innovation in all of this, and all of these new plan features are designed to simplify and enhance the experience for our customers.

Content

We’ve also announced some of the content services that customers will be able to enjoy through the new mobile portal called TWorld.

Services included a partnership with Yahoo!7 to bring the Yahoo! OneSearch tool to our mobile customers. Positioned on the TWorld homepage, OneSearch is rated globally as the best mobile search service.

The Telecom Music store launching on XT Mobile Network in early June will have New Zealand’s most extensive online music catalogue. The store has 2.7 million music tracks to choose from and they will download over the XT Network in seconds.

Plus all the major social networking brands will be available including Facebook, Bebo, MySpace and Twitter – with some of them featuring exclusive content and functions only available to our customers.

Handsets

We released the full range to media today. With nine NZ first devices, two world firsts and a number of models exclusive to our customers, it’s a pretty impressive line-up.

Devices announced today include the Telecom R90, Samsung S8300, Nokia E75, LG GM310 and the Telecom MF636 datacard. The range of devices will be up on testdrive.co.nz this morning so check it out there.

Plus we’ve got live devices in-store from today, so our customers will be able to take them for a test drive and pick their favourites.

So, we’ve got a great range of outstanding handsets from the world’s top brands, the best of local and international content, and radically simple pricing plans that make it easy. This all adds up to a truly world class proposition for our customers, which will be unbeatable when we combine it with our world class service

the new phone have also been released on the website looking good finally.

And yes your i phone will work.

RevolutionRacegear.co.nz said:

i still think they have a **** range of phones. Though i think the new network could be good.

better than before there charging by the second not the minute by the looks now.

hmmm interesting..

iv got both telecom and vodaphone at present..telecoms pooked and need a new phone so thinking of just having one..

was heading towards vodaphone due to better contract prices etc..might wait till xt comes out sounds like they might have good plans..

There'll be more competition in pricing plans now as well, so it will be good to see what else is going to happen.

There is also another network coming out a maori operative one, it was on good morning this morning but i cant remember what its called.

I had a play with the telecom t90,a nokia and a sony

all very very nice phones they were running but not live

my pick at the moment is the t90 which is one of their cheapest phones

flip phone,gps,browser huge screen and big buttons

just as a note: your iphone first gen WILL NOT work on the new XT network.

Personally i am going to be waiting to get the new iPhone when it comes out shortly and then will be using that on the new network

Rossmnz said:

Personally i am going to be waiting to get the new iPhone when it comes out shortly and then will be using that on the new network

why will first gen not work..? as far as im aware mine will just fine, so the people say that im working with on part of the project ;)

nope.

runs on the wrong frequencies as far as i know. The iPhone 3G is a 850MHz/2100MHz handset, while the first generation iPhone is GSM/GPRS/EDGE and runs on different frequencies.

DRFVDR said:

I was looking on some info and they said the GPS wont be availble on start up of the network... mind you it might be availble down the track???

Rossmnz said:

nope.

runs on the wrong frequencies as far as i know. The iPhone 3G is a 850MHz/2100MHz handset, while the first generation iPhone is GSM/GPRS/EDGE and runs on different frequencies.

You are right - new XT network is 3G (UMTS) only, no GSM (2G) support (Telecom was originally going to launch a combined 2G/3G network but decided to save some $$$ and launch 3G only)...

funkytown']

why will first gen not work..? as far as im aware mine will just fine, so the people say that im working with on part of the project ;)

[quote name='Rossmnz said:

nope.

/quote]

You are right - new XT network is 3G (UMTS) only, no GSM (2G) support (Telecom was originally going to launch a combined 2G/3G network but decided to save some $$$ and launch 3G only)...

LOL a clusterfuck of fail right there.

The people working on it dont even know wtf is going on. Funky do you/your mates work for alcatel-Lucent in Wellington?

The Samsung S8300 looks quite nice.

Nothing in the line up running Google Android though. :( Hopefully that's coming later.

I know its early days but did anyone notice the prices compared to Vodafone prices.

Nokia N85

V = 1299

T = 1499

Nokia E71

V = 949

T = 899

Old Skool Subbie']

[quote name='DRFVDR said:

/quote]

I was looking on some info and they said the GPS wont be availble on start up of the network... mind you it might be availble down the track???

AFAIK the GPS is via satelitte so should work from the start (but then I dont know shit :) )

Guest keltik

From what i remember the GPS is via satellite but takes a time signal and some other stuff from the cell network.

I cant see what all the fuss is about, telescum finally decided to ditch old technology and get basically the same network as vodafone....woooo

yeah basically

i just want to get a new ph as i got $350 credit towards i new one was looking at sony as its easy to use.

I don't work at Telecom just got a Telecom contract but i work for Gen-i which has nothing to do with the new network but we still have to do all the training in case we are asked at a party lol like i'm going to say anything next you'll be asking is "i got this problem with my pc" smacks head doh!!

well not really.

Its more like a version ahead of Vodafone. The data speeds should wipe the floor with 3G eventually.

I think its more like 3.5G.

Like EDGE vs 2G.

keltik said:

From what i remember the GPS is via satellite but takes a time signal and some other stuff from the cell network.

I cant see what all the fuss is about, telescum finally decided to ditch old technology and get basically the same network as vodafone....woooo

I'm with you on this one. They have taken way too long to move on from their CDMA network. It's not likely I will be ditching vodafone for this, but I'm hoping it will make for more competitive pricing - Data in particular