Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Exhaust Help

Hi Guys.

Had the muffler off in the weekend as a mate and I tried to fit an STI to my 98' legacy TS-R (which was just too short).

Anywho, my exhaust system is all stock standard, and I couldn't help but fire it up while the muffler was off and man I love the sound!

What are the first things you'd look at adding/getting done to get a better (nicer) sound out of the car? I don't want it to be stupidly loud like a boy racer, but something deep and throaty would sound great.

Thoughts?

P.S that STI exhaust will be up here as soon as I get some pics etc

Heya dude, my rex has got a 2.5in pipe right thru and sounds real good if i may say so myself! It really lets the boxer sound out and its no problem for W.o.F. Ive been offered a 3in Rage exhaust for the rally car but the sound from that puppy makes it only good for motorsport cos cops and W.o.F people reckon thats too loud! Althou its nothing a removable silencer wouldnt fix ;)

What size exhaust you looking at putting on man?

Thanks for that guys.

Not too sure what size I want to go up to. Obviously I don't want something huge as it would look totally out of place.

And thanks for reminding me about how power and economy may be affected. I presume there aren't some basic things I could do to start, that won't affect it too much?

Biggest issue with fitting a big bore on a NA is that it has to be wayyy more muffled than a turbo to be legal( the turbo itself does some muffling) I would get a complete system custom built from the first join, dont go overly large ( 2"-2.5") run a centre free flow muffler and a rear muffler

Johnnybegood said:

Thanks for that guys.

Not too sure what size I want to go up to. Obviously I don't want something huge as it would look totally out of place.

And thanks for reminding me about how power and economy may be affected. I presume there aren't some basic things I could do to start, that won't affect it too much?

Could start with changing just the tip? nothing big...

• General Member
 We are borg said:

Biggest issue with fitting a big bore on a NA is that it has to be wayyy more muffled than a turbo to be legal( the turbo itself does some muffling) I would get a complete system custom built from the first join, dont go overly large ( 2"-2.5") run a centre free flow muffler and a rear muffler

I had 2.5 with a coby on my Legacy. It had a very deep rumble without a silencer fitted (not legal nowadays I would imagine) and a very nice rumble with the silencer that would be legal today but still quite imposing under load.

Cheers guys.

Yea, don't really want to jump into paying for a full custom exhaust, just the tip might get it sounding a bit better. Is there anything/size you'd suggest? Don't know anything about them but always looking/keen to learn.

cheers for the input :)

• General Member

If your going to do a tip I personally would just trawl trademe for a cheapy.

Someone will be wanting to get rid of one you can grab cheap and get welded on for a small cost at a local workshop. Without going to massive cost they are probably much of a muchness

Talk to AdrenalinR in Hastings, you may get away with one of their rear cannon mufflers and a resonator for under $600. Their stuff is ultra high quality and excellent at reducing noise, leaving only a nice sporty tone, and more importantly legal sounding exhaust.