Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

r180 diff

ok heres my problem, i know nissan and subaru both have the r180 diff, the nissan r180 is alot cheaper than subarus and ive heard of people using them. for this conversion to work and just bolt straight up im guessing ill have to go with the subaru r180?

also do the shafts have the same splines as the r160 or do u have to change the hubs and brakes too?

i was looking into upgrading my rear diff for some rwd fun later on ;D

any help would be great. thanks Daniel

• 1 month later...
 Robida said:

ok heres my problem, i know nissan and subaru both have the r180 diff, the nissan r180 is alot cheaper than subarus and ive heard of people using them. for this conversion to work and just bolt straight up im guessing ill have to go with the subaru r180?

also do the shafts have the same splines as the r160 or do u have to change the hubs and brakes too?

i was looking into upgrading my rear diff for some rwd fun later on ;D

any help would be great. thanks Daniel

you will need the r180, axles hubs and backing plates i believe.

my car is rwd, still running the r160, only blown one so far and that didnt really blow just poked the front bearing. r180 is a good upgrade for rwd but nissan r200 is the ultimate upgrade, never blow that puppy.

dubbedup said:

ok atm i have a non lsd diff, and am after an upgrade to Lsd will it matter which one i get asuming the gear ratio'sare correct?

your talking bout the car in your avatar right? it should have the r160 which is a viscous type lsd, not a plate type like the r180. but still a lsd all the same. are you sure yours isnt lsd?

there is also the option of getting a cusco or similar diff head to chuck in your r160 which im pretty sure is a plate type like the 180, will do the same job with out having to change everything (diff, alxes, hubs)

when on the hoist myn spins the opposite when the other direction (if that makes sense)

Thats why i think it s a non lsd, and all my legacy had a sticker saying the ration and if it was lsd, the wrx doesnt have this sticker. :(

dubbedup said:

when on the hoist myn spins the opposite when the other direction (if that makes sense)

Thats why i think it s a non lsd, and all my legacy had a sticker saying the ration and if it was lsd, the wrx doesnt have this sticker. :(

i have no sticker either, both ours are v2s arent they? were you holding one wheel while spinning the other?

im pretty sure all wrxs have viscous lsds.

wheres all the people in the know round here lol

dubbedup said:

nah wasnt holding it, i had the wheels off and it was hard enuff just spinning the hub...

im not sure if mine is a v1 or 2..... how would i know? its a 93 if that helps!!!

thats v1, yea you need to get someone to hold one side while you try spin the other. a lsd will go opposite ways if you not holding the other side.

this is how we check cars at work to make sure we get the right diff oil (lsd specific or not)

Guest keltik

Viscous LSD's are pretty crap to be honest. Ive had my wagon stuck on a rutted track with opposite corner wheels off the ground. It was auto at the time so the center diff locked up properly. However, couldnt get enough power through the rear diff to move the car, it just sat there spinning one rear wheel.

I dont know how much of an effect it has on the handling compared to an open diff tho.

An upgrade to a mechanical LSD seems the best option for motorsport.

dubbedup said:

arn't they meant to spin the same way?

not quite.

Evey dccd car has a plated rear diff. All of these are also r180 apart from versions 1 and 2

It's the RA's, R's and spec c's that get plated rears. normal GC8 sti's get a viscous r160 lsd, normal GD sti's get a viscous r180 lsd

whats the benefit of upgrading to plated?

unless your moving big horsepower i wouldnt think it'd make alot of difference, i know my viscous has no trouble locking up at all, twin spins on the spot. just stronger is it?