Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Silicon hoses to suit TT

Marky

Hey

Seen a couple people mention about replacing the TT turbo --> IC hoses with silicon smooth ones instead, makes sense to as corrugated shiz can't be flash - no point forking out for mega $$ samco ones but has anyone tried it and found it worthwhile changing them?

To be fair it's not like it's exactly pricey for a couple of 2" bends I guess

I've seen some silicon pipes made for BG5 twin turbos on the UK legacy forum site. They got a company to make some up using the plastic pipes as a template.

I've never seen any for sale here in NZ but Let us know if you find any that are suitable.

Cheers.

Yeah there's a place called Zena Racing which makes them, they do a silicone intake as well (like the under-manifold one), just I don't see $200 value in them. Seen a few of the ozliberty guys use them on the B4 but can't find much other than "they look pretty"

• 1 month later...

Got me some pipes from local bargain bin (read as old supplier who had spares which look approx correct), think they're 2 inch dia but turbo outlet looks much smaller. Will find out soon enough.

Lets see if they fit, will try to get a before & after vid when I do them

After having a look at the factory ones when trying to jam verniers in there to measure things up, SURELY there's got to be some reasonable restriction in there. Considering the flow difference that autospeed site shows on wrx coolers with and without the stock feed pipe (vs smooth silicon sti ones) I'd expect these to be much the same. Not expecting a world of difference but can't go backwards at least :)

• Like 1

2 hours of swearing and skinned knuckles later got them on. Job gets a bit difficult when you run out of daylight and are using a cellphone flashlight hahaha

Primary side - 1.75" 45 deg bend fits perfect, bit too long on IC pipe side but does no harm being too long, just needs to be tidied up one day.

IMG_20120920_195227_zpse24c3ddf.jpg

Secondary - 1.75" 90 degree, had to trim slightly on turbo side and remove the mount to get the thing in there and done up, could probably keep the mount but I have no patience.

IMG_20120920_195155_zps6f559b72.jpg

Verdict is it was absolutely worth the trouble, car feels much "free-er" I guess - comes on boost easier - like it makes more boost with less throttle, and the car genuinely did feel a bit quicker on my quick fang last night. Quite noticably louder induction noise on boost too, feeling pretty bogan now.

Best tell I suppose was the text from wifey this morning when she was halfway to work - asking what I'd done to the car and have I turned up the boost? So not just a placebo effect from me noticing gains that weren't there I guess.

• Like 1

I got a set of Smaco ones from Yahoo auctions Japan(came with 3 hoses and a metal pipe). Became very handy when I upgraded the TMIC to a v8 STi one.

Worth the upgrade indeed.

You can also get red STi ones too, but they about $600 for the kit.

Pitty you cant get any upgrade for the under manifold inlet pipe. I knew a group of aussies were trying to get Samco to make a limited run of them but never knew if it went ahead or not. (the old group buy dramas)

"Pitty you cant get any upgrade for the under manifold inlet pipe"

Last year I organised with a company in Shanghai China, to make one up for my Australian delivered Liberty/Legacy B4 BE5 Rev E.(VF33/32)

They are now available on EBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-liberty-legacy-B4-Rev-E-Twin-turbo-silicone-air-intake-pipe-induct-hose-/230853730516?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35bff460d4&vxp=mtr&x=49&y=7

The shipping of the OEM unit to China and then making up of the mandrel/mould for the prototype. (approx $370AU) Then test fit the prototype.The quality is excellent.The unit comes in two sections with a joiner and is a tight fit. Gains are possible?. I had the unit made up to reduce possible intake restrictions as I am using larger non standard turbos (TD04 hybrids)

telemekas said:

"Pitty you cant get any upgrade for the under manifold inlet pipe"

Last year I organised with a company in Shanghai China, to make one up for my Australian delivered Liberty/Legacy B4 BE5 Rev E.(VF33/32)

They are now available on EBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-liberty-legacy-B4-Rev-E-Twin-turbo-silicone-air-intake-pipe-induct-hose-/230853730516?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35bff460d4&vxp=mtr&x=49&y=7

So that would be for the JDM BE5.D model then. Dont know if that is interchangable between Rev A~C models.

Why couldnt these be around 6 odd years ago lol

• 3 weeks later...

Just fitted new intercooler, sorry interwarmer pipes the same as Marky did, really does fell like it made a difference. Car feels like it spools earlier, but it also seems to not have to strain so much especially in the lower RPM range before it finally starts to boogy. Those standard pipes are sooo small!

All for under $40

Verdict: Do it.

Thanks for the sizes Marky, they worked perfectly. ;D

These are the ones I got, seemed to do the trick and they also come in blue if you are that way inclined. Looking at the ones you put up and these, seem to be the same just different sizing, pricing and colour haha.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/turbos/auction-522703259.htm - 90 degree bend @ 1.75"

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/turbos/auction-523621557.htm - 45 degree bend @ 1.75"

Both require a wee-bit of cutting to the right size in order to fit, but they worked fine on my car.

If I was going to do this again, I would try and find a pipe that had 1.75" ( internal diameter ) on one end, reducing down to like 1.5" or 1.25", because the outlet from both the turbos is quite a-lot smaller then what connects to the inter-cooler. Don\'t worry if you can\'t, you can still get away with these, it just requires a little bit more tightening to get the silicone to fit on the turbo outlets, or you could get creative and make a spacer, up to you.

**note**

I purchased the particular brand because I couldn\'t find any other traders that advertised the correct size. Looking at the other products on trademe, there are better ones / more proven brands with higher tolerances, so you could try asking those traders if they could supply you with the sizes, but I figured that the little twin turbo turbos weren\'t going to be maxing those tolerances anytime soon, so I am happy with the ones I have, lol. If the other traders could supply you with the correct sizes, it might be like a $30-$40 difference, but it is completely up to you which brand you go with.

Yeah the turbo outlets are ridiculously small - to be blunt I had to punish the silicon a bit to clamp it down, that said it\'s got a lip on it and I was literally trying to rip it off to make sure it wouldn\'t blow off under pressure. I\'m comfortable with it for a DIY job but if a workshop charged me for it I\'d spew haha. You could make it work fine with a reducer of course but not much room in there to get things done up.

Option B of course is to spend $200 on the made to fit stuff from ebay so your call there

Tossing up now if it\'d be worthwhile getting a V7 sti cooler on there as well

Marky said:

Yeah the turbo outlets are ridiculously small - to be blunt I had to punish the silicon a bit to clamp it down, that said it\'s got a lip on it and I was literally trying to rip it off to make sure it wouldn\'t blow off under pressure. I\'m comfortable with it for a DIY job but if a workshop charged me for it I\'d spew haha. You could make it work fine with a reducer of course but not much room in there to get things done up.

Option B of course is to spend $200 on the made to fit stuff from ebay so your call there

Tossing up now if it\'d be worthwhile getting a V7 sti cooler on there as well

Here is a bit of information I came across a while ago in regards to how good different Subaru intercoolers are. Might make a good read considering what your thinking of doing ;D

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_TopMount-Trial-Part-One/A_1618/article.html PART 1

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_TopMount-Trial-Part-Two/A_1619/article.html PART 2