Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Relocating Top Tank - Coolant

Bazza-NZ

Hi all,

I'm looking at moving my top tank as I'm in the middle of doing a twisted turbo setup and I'm well aware that many have had to do the same. I've just got a couple of questions before approaching mine as Google hasn't really given me the answers / information i really needed.

1. Where has you relocated your to?

2. Did you take into consideration about air flow & heat under the bonnet? Would these influence the temperature of the system?

3. Mounting height would need to be higher than the rest of the cooling system correct? (bleeding wise)

4. Your Do & Don't and any tips that would make life easier?

Thanks in advance for any help, man what an average day weather wise :'(

Flip your manifold while youre at it and your relocation will fall into place. Then its the same height and further from the exhaust. Shouldnt need to move it for a twisted set up though unless its sizeable. Funky has his on the firewall and looks smart.

Weathers fuckin mint up here in winterless north.

evowrx said:

Flip your manifold while youre at it and your relocation will fall into place. Then its the same height and further from the exhaust. Shouldnt need to move it for a twisted set up though unless its sizeable. Funky has his on the firewall and looks smart.

Weathers botherin mint up here in winterless north.

My flipped manifold is one of those cut and weld jobs as I've modified even that I'm using thermal spacers so needed to lower the center a bit more for clearance

evowrx said:

Got a pic? Must be tight in there clearance wise. What size spacers? Ive seen people make a cake slice shape adaptor to make the tb straight on to get around the bonnet issue.

spaces are 10mm + 2 gaskets and its pretty tight, I tapped nicely with a hammer on the bonnet just for safety but closes without touching

Issues with the Top Tank is it will get in the way of the intake so moving it seems easier

evowrx said:

Do the spacers you have need gaskets? What version engine? Can you bolt it onto the rear of the manifold passengers side?

Nope as they are the o-ring ones however i am waiting for a set to arrive from the US (lost the previous ones). The gaskets don't actually add too much height. engine is just a standard V3 EJ20.

Currently have my FPR setup there but will probably make a bracket and put both on it. Never hurts to ask and get everyone opinion on the matter

rex-leggy']

this was when i first got my rs . located where the ac goes.

after changing turbo (non watercooled) i removed the tank completely to make the system simpler

Through about putting it there however i can't as the alt sit there now

[quote name='We are borg said:

make sure it is either the same height or higher is the only thing i can add :) as far up the firewall as it will go would be my pick

Have been surfing the web and it seems like most people are relocating them there or to the side guards (custom made tanks)

im guessing your front mount with the twisted turbo setup and is it a water-cooled turbo, i managed to pick up a aftermarket top tank for fifty few years ago and relocated it to where the top mount use to be, never had any problems with it and gets some airflow through the scoop. just make sure its at a similar height and preferably not attached to the intake manifold.

before the rotated turbo i had the factory top tank setup on the left where the alarm siren/map sensor is.

IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0151.jpg

IMAG0152.jpg

Thanks for all your help guys

I have decided to relocate it to the drivers side strut tower for now as it is one of the only palces that i have availabe at the moment. In standard intercooler location is the oil cooler and passenage side is FPR & oil catch can. Just need to go out and purcahse some new hoses and it should be all done and dusted.