Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Battery Relocation

nt_a_foz

So i need to run a relay for my fuel pump from battery.

While im there figure might as well put my battery in my boot free up some space..

Have been told can run the line in the car but others have told me to go under the car..

Is there a right way in a wrong way?? or can be done either???

I was gonna do that when i got my car back. Theres plenty of room down near the sill. You could put it down the gearbox tunnel, but for sake of ease i think inside would be better. The only problem there i think would be if you have amp RCA's running next to it you might pick up some interference, but you could just run them down the other side.

Ive already got a 0 gauge cable going that way, used it when i have a couple of big amps. Since they were gone I was gonna use it for a battery relocation, but its a bit short so i bought 10ft tsunami 0 gauge.

The thing that im sorta wondering about (and sorry for the thread hijack) Is;

1. Where would the best place to put the new ground be? Shoul i just drill a hole in the boot and bolt it to that? Also, do i just directly earth the orinaly ones coming off the engine etc?

and 2. Whats the best way of wiring the original terminals to the new cable? was thinking of just using either a distribution block or circuit breaker..1557796

If i used a circuit breaker like that, what sorta amps would I actualy need?

ive done a few battary in the boot relocations now, i always run them in the car, less chance of damage.

in my subby i ran 32mm copper aflex(welding cable), but gennerally 20mm or 25 is more than enough,

16mm aflex is good for 112Amps or somthing like that if i remeber right, but 20mm isnt mych more expencive.

earthing, u just need a sutable bolt hole to the chassie really.

mounting the box requires, 4x 6mm bolts i think it is, box has to be secred vie bolt not via the strap

wireing, there is generally a stud and nut in the fuse box at the front, so you can lug to that, then go to your breaker, then off to ur new location.

you can get some batteray termanials from repco, that hace wingnut conetions on then so you can lug the end of you cable then connect then via the wingnut, easy to remove, yet nice and sturdy. :D

-smurff

Sweet so get a box put it in boot ..

Earth it to the boot then run the power cable inside the car to the front

Now do i get a block and split it???

Was going to run 2gauge cable / i got told 12mm would be enough??? was going to get that..

Then split into 2 8gauge one to starter and one to fuse box..

Will this do the trick or better to do another way..

and yeah i was going to use the stud/wingnut in the boot for mine to connect to battery....

for the mounting points use 10mm threaded rod bolted/welded thru the floor ( the 10mm rod is motorsport spec) and angle iron or similar to hold your battry to the floor, if you use less than this you may have to do it again,

I had my battry in a black palstic box with the strap but it failed scrutineering...if you dont do any motorsport the black box setup will be fine...

nt_a_foz said:

Sweet so get a box put it in boot ..

Earth it to the boot then run the power cable inside the car to the front

Now do i get a block and split it???

Was going to run 2gauge cable / i got told 12mm would be enough??? was going to get that..

Then split into 2 8gauge one to starter and one to fuse box..

Will this do the trick or better to do another way..

and yeah i was going to use the stud/wingnut in the boot for mine to connect to battery....

i would sugest more than 12, as 16mm non welding cable is good for 82 amps.

you may need more leway(sp?) than that.

for the starter, all i did, were i lugged to the fuse box, i just used a second one off there to the starter.

this is assuming ur fuse box in the engine bay hase the same stud stype connection

-smurff

nt_a_foz said:

damn already got the 12mm sent to me haha. will have to try out and see if it works..

did you use 2amp between the starter adn fuse box?

like i said mine has 2 gauge (guess thats 12mm) has been like that for ages with no problems, im sure it'll be fine, you can always go bigger the question is do you actually need to go bigger.

you will be running your fuel pump directly from your battery in the rear so thats power that wont be heading down the 2 gauge cable to the front.

wrx_lou said:

Seems theres a whole lot missing from this topic that was posted last night.

Ichi ban was talking about how you need to run a ground up to the block direct from the battery so as not to fry your ECU.

really? i missed that, be good to hear more info.

yeah man, theres heapsa shit missing since they had to do the restore on the cs system.

Big debate between Ichi and smurf about it lol. Something about Having to ground the ECU to a 'higher ground'. Hopefully Ichi will post his views here again.

Also, I think we should do a collaberation of our attempts here, and stick it!

I'm back :)

My reference was to having the engine block earthed direct to battery

This way all the ECU earths are "above ground" as they earth to the intake manifold

If you dont, it is possible to back feed the starter to earth via the ECU if the chassis earth builds up resistance

ECU's not like that sort of current :)

Ichi Ban said:

I'm back :)

My reference was to having the engine block earthed direct to battery

This way all the ECU earths are "above ground" as they earth to the intake manifold

If you dont, it is possible to back feed the starter to earth via the ECU if the chassis earth builds up resistance

ECU's not like that sort of current :)

interesting, would this need to be a large gauge earth? ive never had a problem with it at all, my block has a few earths to chassis and i have 2 big earths going from battery in boot directly to chassis at 2 separate points.

whats your thoughts on my setup? im obviously not running a beast like brad lol

k so just went n saaw mechanic n he said the easiest way to do it is

Earth in the boot to something..

Power cable to the engine bay...

Put lugs on the wire between starter and battery and fuse box and battery and bolt these 2 lugs combined with the power cable lug together as 3 then tape over etc....

Easy enoguh without using all sorts of blocks etc....

Thoughts???

This was as set up on RIPEVO i checked it out..

hahaha, thats a bimetal lug, which is for joing ali cable to copper bars

if you use copper cable, u just use a standard copper lug, which have a tin coating i think it is.

-smurff

nt_a_foz said:

k so just went n saaw mechanic n he said the easiest way to do it is

Earth in the boot to something..

Power cable to the engine bay...

Put lugs on the wire between starter and battery and fuse box and battery and bolt these 2 lugs combined with the power cable lug together as 3 then tape over etc....

Easy enoguh without using all sorts of blocks etc....

Thoughts???

This was as set up on RIPEVO i checked it out..

if its good enough for that car then yea do it that way, and i wont worry bout changing my setup either lol.