Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BC5 wont turn over - HELP PLEASE

So I parked my 89 rs in the garage last night, was running fine. Tried to start it this afternoon and all I get is a few clicks from under the bonnet but no starter. Its not the battery, everything else is working and I did try a second battery just to be sure. I spent last night installing a full stereo system in the car, have unwired everything to make sure its nothing to do with that but still no start.....help me please!

dirtysouthBC said:

So I parked my 89 rs in the garage last night, was running fine. Tried to start it this afternoon and all I get is a few clicks from under the bonnet but no starter. Its not the battery, everything else is working and I did try a second battery just to be sure. I spent last night installing a full stereo system in the car, have unwired everything to make sure its nothing to do with that but still no start.....help me please!

starter motor brushes require replacement...repco have...there are two types...remove yours and take in as sample.

Quite easy to do ..Remove starter...Brushes under rear cover mounted on a board. :)

just tried that....nothing. Is it possible that while installing the stero I have bumped a connector or something? how do I tell if the problem is electrical (wiring) or mechanical (starter motor)?

did you disconnect the battery wile doing everything? if the starter motor is clicking then the solenoid which push's the gear into the flywheel is working.

the only other cable to the starter motor is a direct feed from the battery . its possible that its not hooked up anymore

put it in gear and rock it a few times then try start it, every subaru ive had ive had to do the starters, easy as 2 remove and about $150 to replace if u get shop 2 fix or around $50 2nd hand

think there was a thread on here about removing them and replacing the bushes

the clicking is coming from the front of the engine, not sure from what but its down underneath or around the alternator. not hearing any noise from the starter. Yeah had battery off to hook everything up, ive put in plenty of stereos and never had this happen. Its possibly just a coincidence that its happened now.

im gonna go try that now G-unit - cheers

na that didnt work. when i turn the key on to the second click I get the clicks/ticks from in the engine bay, when you turn it to start there is just nothing at all.

will check positive cable now

G-unit said:

the starter is under the alternator and towards the firewall sort of so could be the noise as its not far from it, follow the positive cable from the battery and see if its hooked up to the starter correctly,

just FYI the starter motor is on the back and the alternator is on the front of the engine ;)

so I feel like a total muppet, I had bumped the wire going to the starter motor when i was running my amp power cable through the firewall. pushed it on properly and it started no worries :-\

dirtysouthBC']

[quote name='G-unit said:

the starter is under the alternator and towards the firewall sort of so could be the noise as its not far from it, follow the positive cable from the battery and see if its hooked up to the starter correctly,

/quote]

just FYI the starter motor is on the back and the alternator is on the front of the engine ;)

so I feel like a total muppet, I had bumped the wire going to the starter motor when i was running my amp power cable through the firewall. pushed it on properly and it started no worries :-\

yes they are but if u think aboit it there not far from each other and thats why i said u may think its near the alternator when the starter isnt far from it, allgood now its going